Author Topic: Indian Parts  (Read 9265 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Indian Parts
« on: January 07, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »
I had to pick up some sample parts for an Indian Chieftain today. A cover for the front master cylinder cost $100!!!!
Not the whole thing, JUST THE TOP COVER!  I nearly had a heart attack. I'd hate to have to buy a REAL part for one of those things.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Indian Parts
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 03:55:14 PM »
I did not see this coming- I thought that this thread was going to be about organ transplants....

Brian

I had to pick up some sample parts for an Indian Chieftain today. A cover for the front master cylinder cost $100!!!!
Not the whole thing, JUST THE TOP COVER!  I nearly had a heart attack. I'd hate to have to buy a REAL part for one of those things.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »
Are the little red low oil pressure lights on their foreheads considered organs?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 04:38:43 PM »
Is this for a new Polaris Indian? Of for a classic Indian?

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 05:03:45 PM »
Polaris. If it was a classic Indian I could almost understand the price due to availability.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »
Polaris. If it was a classic Indian I could almost understand the price due to availability.

Exactly why I asked. But for a new top cover for $100 does sound outrageous.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 05:24:07 PM »
It must be a REALLY GOOD cap.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 05:48:34 PM »
It must be a REALLY GOOD cap lid.
Maybe it's worth it if you change the description.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 06:07:38 PM »
I hear their wireless FOB system works really good.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 06:20:07 PM »
Maybe it's worth it if you change the description.

How about a "moisture and debris sealing device"  ?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 07:29:54 PM »
I hear their wireless FOB system works really good.  ;)

but nowhere near as good as my KiPass
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 05:55:39 PM »
Probably made in the U.S. Chrome costs money because of what the company needs to do, or more importantly, NOT DO, to make it, due to the U.S. EPA. That's just one of the reasons things are made in China because China does not have an EPA and does not follow the environmental standards most all industrial countries follow when making things by workers who make 50 cents an hour. You want a nice chrome brake cover that will last 10 years made in the U.S. by U.S. workers? Pay $100. Or, do you want a nice chrome brake cover that looks great until it gets wet and only lasts till you sell the bike or about 2 years and costs $25? Now, if it was made in China, YEAH, that's too much. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 11:03:58 AM »
The new Indians are gorgeous and pretty darn advanced machines, I am quite smitten with the Chieftain.

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 08:03:52 AM »
The new Indians are gorgeous and pretty darn advanced machines, I am quite smitten with the Chieftain.

I agree. If I were in the market for another V-twin cruiser I would look closely at either an Indian or a Victory. But unfortunately I think the price might be a deal breaker.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »
I agree. If I were in the market for another V-twin cruiser I would look closely at either an Indian or a Victory. But unfortunately I think the price might be a deal breaker.

Yeah they are pricey, but man are they well made and loaded with allot of amenities that I crave. That engine and transmission is a gem from what I hear, I will be doing a Indian demo day this Spring for sure.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »

Yeah they are pricey, but man are they well made and loaded with allot of amenities that I crave. That engine and transmission is a gem from what I hear, I will be doing a Indian demo day this Spring for sure.

^^^^send pics of your new bike!  ;D

These new Indians are the only cruisers I've looked twice at, and wow i like these!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 06:26:42 PM »
^^^^send pics of your new bike!  ;D

These new Indians are the only cruisers I've looked twice at, and wow i like these!

Would be a little while for sure, unless the Wifey said go for it. The Iron Pony which is just down the road from me is now a big Indian dealer, and they obviously are Victory/Polaris as well. The showroom is pretty sweet, I am quite a fan of the Victory baggers too. I just love how they ride, prefer a twin engine, love the character, think they are gorgeous......and I can ride them plenty fast in the twisty bits.  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 08:08:47 PM »

I've ridden the chieftain and the scout.  They are a bargain when compare to HD.  Both are pricey when you compare to the Japanese bikes.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 09:51:18 PM »
I've ridden the chieftain and the scout.  They are a bargain when compare to HD.  Both are pricey when you compare to the Japanese bikes.

And as good as a few of the Japanese baggers or cruisers may be, they are still not quite there with the overall package, handling/quality/authenticity of the American offerings "IMHO". Kawasaki is real close and so is Star, but their baggers are still lacking when compared to lets say a Cross Country, Chieftain, Vision or Road Glide. If I am going to throw down that kind of coin, "and the Stars and Vulcans are not cheap by any means", I personally will go with the ones that started it all and still do it the best for what they are and intended for. I think Indian will give HD a real run for their money, many HOG faithful are already switching over.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 05:16:53 AM »

And as good as a few of the Japanese baggers or cruisers may be, they are still not quite there with the overall package, handling/quality/authenticity of the American offerings "IMHO". Kawasaki is real close and so is Star, but their baggers are still lacking when compared to lets say a Cross Country, Chieftain, Vision or Road Glide. If I am going to throw down that kind of coin, "and the Stars and Vulcans are not cheap by any means", I personally will go with the ones that started it all and still do it the best for what they are and intended for. I think Indian will give HD a real run for their money, many HOG faithful are already switching over.

The Roadmaster is $28,000.  I can buy a new left over Voyager for $13,000.  Slightly used ones for $10,000. 
I love the look and feel of the new Road Glide, but the full touring one is over $30,000.
Cross Country tours can be had for around $18,000 for left overs,  The fit and finish isn't up to HD and Indian standards though. 

What Indian, HD, and Victory have over the Japanese touring bikes is the ability to quickly remove trunks to turn them into baggers.

It takes me an hour to convert my Voyager from full tourer to bagger.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077