Author Topic: New member, new ZG1000 build  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Lonestar Cruzer

New member, new ZG1000 build
« on: November 29, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
Howdy from the South y'all. I traded my little Grom for a 2003 ZG1000 on 11/11/16 (plus some cash to get her right).

About me: I'm a small business owner in the small town of Ennis, Texas. I have background in auto mechanics, truck driving, and construction.

About her: She's been through a little bit. She has a decent amount of fairing damage, a broken mirror strut, a decent oil leak coming from a blown gasket under the starter, and seriously neglected brakes. The little bit I rode her getting her home I could tell she still has a lot of life left to live, and I'm gonna do my best to give her every mile she wants to run.

Build status: She's in pieces right now. Pulled the carbs, air box, alternator, starter, water pump, and radiator. It was at this point I finally found the oil leak. I've gussied her up a little bit in true Texas style. Matte black truck bed liner on the fairings (gotta empty the tank to paint that) with matte white accents. I replaced her mirrors with some less expensive ZX style mirrors, switched the orientation so L is on R and R is on L, and they're inverse for a more aggressive look. The boots were carefully trimmed and bonded with the factory mirror brackets, but I'm making molds to fabricate pieces that will replace the mirror brackets and reinforce the outside of the nose fairing around the turn signals. Adjusted her valves this morning. LEDs in the gauge cluster to replace the burnt out bulbs (Blue for backlight, color matched for indicators / warnings). Did the coolant res relocate, I won't be running her naked but I'd rather lift the seat than bend over to check it. Already fixed the brakes front and rear. Waiting on gaskets and O-rings to come in to put her back together and get on the road.

Current mods: Heli Bars, inline fuel filter, front fork braces, anti-vibe bar-end weights, Rifle windscreen (all thanks to original owner). Paint job, res relocate, LED gauge cluster, ZX mirrors, Mean Streak rear wheel, heated grips (my contributions so far).

Future goals: SISF 2 minute jet kit, torque cam, maybe the 7th gear mod. LoneStar themed LED body lighting, 17" front wheel, upgraded calipers, alternator upgrade (from a something 1200), 12V cooler trunk.

I'll be making YouTube videos on a lot of the repairs and modifications I do to her.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: New member, new ZG1000 build
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 04:05:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum. You've been busy. Good to see a resurrection.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »
Welcome Lonestar.

Hope to see you on the road one of these days.
I'm in Houston. 

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Lonestar Cruzer

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 04:36:59 PM »
I forgot to tell you Connie Rider, I'm going to Houston to have Pbfoot from COG machine my mean streak. I'll be arriving around 8pm Sunday, no idea how long the machining will take. If you'd like to grab a drink or a coffee or something that'd be great. Unfortunately I've got a bevel gear gasket blown out so I won't be taking my Connie down. I'm MP and his Texas Connie from CoG forums.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 08:02:42 PM »
PM sent.

Ted

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 09:53:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Enjoy the read and good luck with the rebuild project.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 06:05:05 AM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Lonestar Cruzer

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 06:45:53 AM »
Thanks for the warm greetings everyone!

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 03:10:53 AM »
Welcome mate, nice resurection project.  :thumbs: I like the idea of a 12V cooler trunk, size wise, what you looking at?

Offline O.C.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 06:34:56 AM »
Welcome along....pictures of the finished bike would be good ...enjoy and ride safe  :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Lonestar Cruzer

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 07:47:40 AM »
I have a 40qt 12v cooler from my trucking days, I was thinking of insulating and modifying murph's top box to fit the peltier module from that.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 05:31:04 AM »
Ah...got ya!!  ;)

Offline O.C.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 05:59:57 AM »
Keep us posted with progress. maybe more pictures  :) 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Lonestar Cruzer

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 09:38:02 AM »
seals/gaskets came in today, along with the 19" rifle windscreen from a CoG member. Block off plates from Murph's arrived today as well. New camera comes in tomorrow, will have some videos and photos posted by Monday for sure. Probably not going to end up messing with the carbs just because I really want to get back on the road and it looks like I'm going to need a screw kit for it.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 12:00:38 PM »
Great...I love a rebuild  :thumbs: 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650