Author Topic: Crown Point Highway re-opened for Memorial Day Weekend.  (Read 1392 times)

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Crown Point Highway re-opened for Memorial Day Weekend.
« on: May 26, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
http://www.wfl.fhwa.dot.gov/projects/or/crownpoint/

Since this is just a few miles down the road from me, I took a ride last night to see how they did.  They completely repaired the area above the Vista House where the road sunk several inches, and repaved the entire stretch from the Vista House to the top of the hill.  However, on the way back up I noticed a 2 inch wide crack in the new asphalt about where the previous damage was.  I'm guessing they will be back in there again soon.

From the Vista House down, there's still unfinished paving (ground down, with some light gravel in spots) for about 1/4 of a mile (parking lot, around the house, down to the first left hand corner).  From that point on, it's all fresh, smooth, superb asphalt all the way to the point where they repaved from the bottom two years ago.  The 15MPH sweeping switchbacks are no longer rough, broken pavement, and although I tried my best not to scrape pegs through there, I could not (got both sides ;D ).  In a couple of corners (above the switchbacks), there was quite a bit of rock on the road that fell off the cliffs above, so corner with care the first time through, at least until you see the road for yourself.

They still have heavy equipment below the road around the Vista House loop, but it's off the roadway now.  Once they finish that last little bit of paving below the Vista House parking lot, they should be done for awhile.  Now if we could just keep the tourists off it for the summer, it would be fantastic.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250