Author Topic: Weed  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Conrad

Weed
« on: December 29, 2019, 09:11:28 AM »
Just a couple more days and recreational marijuana will be legal here in Illinois.

I have mixed feelings about this.

I enjoy getting high occasionally and I'm looking forward to not having to worry that what I'm doing is against the law. It'll be nice to have ready access to it but in truth, I've never had much problem getting weed when I wanted it.

On the negative side, this won't be good for teens in Illinois. Not that they have problems in the past scoring weed I'm sure, just as they don't have any problems scoring liquor when/if they want it.

People who have a predisposition to substance abuse will have an even larger problem now I suppose.

I'd rather be sharing the road with folks that are high as apposed to folks who are drunk though.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

What say you?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sport rider

Re: Weed
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:51:25 AM »
now the difference is you'll pay more for it.  look what it's like in Colorado.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 09:53:49 AM »

:-\            :popcorn:

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 12:27:58 PM »
Sharing the road with tokers is not better than sharing it with drunks, by any means.  Since Washington State made recreational weed OK, I have seen a number of zoned-out drivers weaving down the road, if on the highway, usually quite a bit UNDER the speed limit, sort of leaning against the window, just oozing along.  Granted there are probably as many under the influence that I don't notice because they are not exhibiting any erratic behavior, just like some drunks.  Sitting at a an intersection in traffic with the smell of pot smoke coming from a car ahead of you is not fun either. Reaction times and judgement are also slowed. 

I now live in Bothell, and I can walk a couple of blocks into the downtown section, and stand on any street corner and smell it, which means I am inhaling at least a few molecules of it, which I do not wish to do, same as cigarette smoke.

If you want to do it, that's fine, just DO IT AT HOME.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 12:35:55 PM »
Like you, I have mixed feelings.  I have never consumed any illicit drug or alcohol, and never will.  Control is important to me and I have no desire to ever be "altered."  But as a libertarian, I believe people should be allowed to do anything to or put anything they wish into their bodies- as long as they can give informed consent, it isn't directly harming others, and they are adults.

Alcohol is a probably at least a hundred times more dangerous (to one's self and to society) than marijuana.  It impairs coordination far less.  It is not physically addictive (but is psychologically for at least some if not many).  As long as it is ingested without combustion/smoking, it causes no known physical harm to adults (at least non-pregnant ones).  One can't overdose on it.  In some cases it can be useful, medicinally (I believe far less than many claim, and much of that can be isolated from the mind-altering components).   It should never have been made a Schedule I drug, that is for sure.  It should never have been higher than Schedule V.  I believe it should be removed from the Controlled Substances Act, completely.

But I would be lying if said I am pleased at the thought of marijuana use increasing and "normalized" like alcohol is (and that WILL happen with broad legalization).  There will be just that many more people who will be zombified.  Being high puts others at risk when driving, operating machinery, working on/with dangerous things.  That is on top of many users being non-functional, irritating, accident-prone, irresponsible, and generally "stupid."  Some will waste all their time and money trying to escape reality, rather than face it.  Others might use it as a gateway to much worse drugs.

Your being conflicted on such a topic just shows you understand this well.  I, for one, admire that.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »
mkultra  continues

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 01:41:35 PM »
Interesting discussion,
Ohio has finally given the green light to Medical use, which requires a doctor to apply for a card for patient use, and the clinics are open and operating here, for the last year. Problem was, the "supply" was regulated, and had to come from in state sources/growers, that were licensed... well, that created a long backlog to build a supply. A couple years back, Ohio "tried" to push thru a total decriminalization bill, so to cover both medical, and recreational use; that didn't work because the jist of the bill created an oligarchy of business people, with deep pockets, that controlled the grow houses. Again, they had to be state approved, and licensed.
All in all I think that was what "killed" the bill, and I wasn't happy that happened, but the other thing about "rich folks getting richer", left a bad feeling on the residents.
I can agree on one thing tho, I would rather have money circulate within my state, i.e. tax revenues, than to see it go to a foreign cartel.
I know I could benefit from the medicinal aspects, but the cost is so high currently, it makes it out of reach.
Currently the "medical products", cannot be "burned" or "smoked", but they can be vaporized, or rendered into edible forms, and even then, the law prohibits "people" from growing their own... so it kills the $$ factor again.
Having discussed the options already with 2 different doctors, that would sign off on a card for me, as the health issues I have are legitimate, I'm still waiting to apply, because I'm still not certain of the "downstream" legalities and being "branded" for using something. Being a gun owner for one thing, makes it hard to "decide", as in a year or so more, who really knows what records will be shared thru the system, creating criminals that were not criminals; but now are...

Tough decisions for sure.
Using any substance while driving is simply OUT... personal consumption in home is clear, I won't drive with even one sip of beer in my body, and if I consume any alcohol in quantity, i simply won't drive until my system is clean.
Kids will use whatever they can get their hands on, wherever and whenever they can.. we can't stop them. so the point taken about that is kind of foolish for people to "toss in", as a reason for legislation over rides.

Best of luck, I really would like to be able to do "what I want" also, and not have to bear legal persecution... would I on a daily basis? not likely; but having the choice is a good thing.  50 years ago, I never ever worried... and always hoped that in my lifetime, the laws would change.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 02:53:18 PM »
I've been thinking, since I posted; I have some very good friends, some in COG, that have older parents with extreme health and pain issues. I have discussed this subject with them at times, as it seems doctors are all to quick to prescribe opioid pain meds, in endless quantities to them. Both of my in-laws are up in years, and taking very strong pain meds... I've gotten my M.I.L. to seek herbal products, and she finds great benefit from CBD creams, as a supplement for relief; I've been badgering my F.I.L. who is closing in on 90 now, and telling him to move here, and use cannabis.. he laughs, and says "sure...", that's his mindset, but at least he thinks about it.. both of them are in a non-use state currently...
I was raised by my grandparents, and I really benefited from my Grandmother's wisdom, she was very open minded, but still had a difficulty understanding the "pot" thing, when I was a teen. Somehow I stupidly left a bag of weed, in a shirt pocket, which she found when doing the laundry... damn.... busted... I had to work up the courage to ask her if she threw it out.. $40 was a lot of money for a kid to "loose". She surprised me, pulled it out of her apron pocket, tossed it on the kitchen table, and went "searching" in a drawer, only to come back with a rolling machine, and a pack of ancient cig papers from the 40's.. she sat down, rolled 2 up, and we smoked them (I was speachless, and didn't dare ask why...),

She looked at me and said "I was going to give a big lecture, but figured it would be silly if I didn't try this, before...."
my response was "Well? are you high?", she just shrugged her shoulders and smiled, and said, "I don't think so... But now I know why you eat so much peanut butter and jelly... I'm hungry..."  we smoked the second one, then she munched stuff from the fridge, and went out and walked around the back yard, and woods..  when she came back in she made me promise never to tell Dad. She ended up having part of her colon removed, many years later, and I would drop off "medicine" every other month, she always said natural is better than addicting pills. Bless her. She ended up having a stroke, years later, that was induced by a nicked blood vessel from a surgery, and the EMS responders gave her a strong opioid sedative on the way to the hospital, she was trying to come out of the stroke, but they suppressed her...she was allergic to the opioid meds,  she went into a coma, and died.

My actual "mother", was introduced to the herb, by my younger sister and I, when we were in our 20's; and forced/coerced her to toke at my sister's house.. she also admitted that there was "nothing wrong with it, in my opinion, kind of a nice feeling"..
She died from migrated breast cancer, and cancer thruout her body in '93; my little sister made sure she got her "medication", as the prescriptions were so expensive, and didn't help her.. they just made her unconscious.

I really hate "modern medicine" at times, having lost so many loved ones...watching them try to endure pain, with no resolve, because of rediculous mindsets of legislators, has to end;  sometimes simple plants, are the answer.

self medicate.
it's your right.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 05:12:55 PM »
Pot is legal now in Canada, the stuff you smoke, but not edibles. There are some distribution problems as things evolve. As a non-smoker, I'm waiting for gummy worms.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 05:39:31 PM »
I realy envy you, you are so lucky, to have a country wide status.. 
I would love to do edibles here... just as it is sooo nice.
here, we can get edibles, and even tho high priced, we can distill flower into oil...
read about extraction processors, grain alcohol and such, to remove the vital components.
 the final results are he vital oils, and can be used in the manner you wish,

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 11:02:10 PM »
A resident of Colorado for +20 years...

1) Driving, or doing anything that requires critical thinking when impaired is felony stupid. Booze, pot/dope; anything.

2) Politicians love their electorate going to the polls stoned. "Yo, dude, I'm voting for him/her because they legalized whatever". Also known as "The Free Chit Coalition". May be a reason liquor venues are closed on votings days. I don't know, just saying.

3) Tax revenue from dope legalization is huge, but receipts never go 100% to the recipient(s) as stated in the law/amendment that legalized pot. Ask me why I need to vote on increasing school funding now that pot is legal in CO, which is where the millions in tax revenue from pot sales was supposed to go. Dafuk. Seriously, dafuk.

4) There's a reason it's also referred to as dope.

5) Valid medical use? I have no issue with that, absolutely none. But please define valid medical use for me. Your knee hurts? Back? You have no appetite? You're on chemo? You like Cheetos/girl scout cookies in mass quantities?

6) Are you fine with your cardiologist entering the operating room stoned? The pilot of a 777/A380/F-35? How will you know if they sparked one a few hours ago? A day ago? Is a day adequate to 'decompress' from a high?

Slippery slope, very slippery.

On the plus side, drivers for Uber-Eats and Door-Dash are making a fortune delivering munchies.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 06:17:30 AM »
Sharing the road with tokers is not better than sharing it with drunks, by any means.  Since Washington State made recreational weed OK, I have seen a number of zoned-out drivers weaving down the road, if on the highway, usually quite a bit UNDER the speed limit, sort of leaning against the window, just oozing along.  Granted there are probably as many under the influence that I don't notice because they are not exhibiting any erratic behavior, just like some drunks.  Sitting at a an intersection in traffic with the smell of pot smoke coming from a car ahead of you is not fun either. Reaction times and judgement are also slowed. 

I now live in Bothell, and I can walk a couple of blocks into the downtown section, and stand on any street corner and smell it, which means I am inhaling at least a few molecules of it, which I do not wish to do, same as cigarette smoke.

If you want to do it, that's fine, just DO IT AT HOME.

Are you suggesting that you have such a good eye that you can tell the difference between drivers who have been smoking weed and drivers who have been drinking? LEOs can use an eye like that.

FYI, those impaired drivers who are WAY under the speed limit have almost certainly been drinking. It's a known fact that drunk drivers tend to drive under the limit. They also tend to forget to turn on their headlights. LEOs look for this.

Just so you know, I do not advocate driving impaired, in any way. Have I done it? Yep, in my younger years. Stupid? You bettcha. I'll say it again, IF I had to choose between sharing the road with someone high on weed vs someone drunk, I'll take the stoner. I'd prefer sharing the road with non impaired drivers no doubt.

My discussion is based on following the law where weed is concerned. If you're at an intersection and you smell pot coming from one of the cars near you, that person is not following the rules of law, at least not the laws in Illinois.   

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 06:18:12 AM »
Like you, I have mixed feelings.  I have never consumed any illicit drug or alcohol, and never will.  Control is important to me and I have no desire to ever be "altered."  But as a libertarian, I believe people should be allowed to do anything to or put anything they wish into their bodies- as long as they can give informed consent, it isn't directly harming others, and they are adults.

Alcohol is a probably at least a hundred times more dangerous (to one's self and to society) than marijuana.  It impairs coordination far less.  It is not physically addictive (but is psychologically for at least some if not many).  As long as it is ingested without combustion/smoking, it causes no known physical harm to adults (at least non-pregnant ones).  One can't overdose on it.  In some cases it can be useful, medicinally (I believe far less than many claim, and much of that can be isolated from the mind-altering components).   It should never have been made a Schedule I drug, that is for sure.  It should never have been higher than Schedule V.  I believe it should be removed from the Controlled Substances Act, completely.

But I would be lying if said I am pleased at the thought of marijuana use increasing and "normalized" like alcohol is (and that WILL happen with broad legalization).  There will be just that many more people who will be zombified.  Being high puts others at risk when driving, operating machinery, working on/with dangerous things.  That is on top of many users being non-functional, irritating, accident-prone, irresponsible, and generally "stupid."  Some will waste all their time and money trying to escape reality, rather than face it.  Others might use it as a gateway to much worse drugs.

Your being conflicted on such a topic just shows you understand this well.  I, for one, admire that.

Well said Max, thank you.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 06:18:44 AM »
mkultra  continues

Paranoid much?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 06:28:13 AM »
A resident of Colorado for +20 years...

1) Driving, or doing anything that requires critical thinking when impaired is felony stupid. Booze, pot/dope; anything.

2) Politicians love their electorate going to the polls stoned. "Yo, dude, I'm voting for him/her because they legalized whatever". Also known as "The Free Chit Coalition". May be a reason liquor venues are closed on votings days. I don't know, just saying.

3) Tax revenue from dope legalization is huge, but receipts never go 100% to the recipient(s) as stated in the law/amendment that legalized pot. Ask me why I need to vote on increasing school funding now that pot is legal in CO, which is where the millions in tax revenue from pot sales was supposed to go. Dafuk. Seriously, dafuk.

4) There's a reason it's also referred to as dope.

5) Valid medical use? I have no issue with that, absolutely none. But please define valid medical use for me. Your knee hurts? Back? You have no appetite? You're on chemo? You like Cheetos/girl scout cookies in mass quantities?

6) Are you fine with your cardiologist entering the operating room stoned? The pilot of a 777/A380/F-35? How will you know if they sparked one a few hours ago? A day ago? Is a day adequate to 'decompress' from a high?

Slippery slope, very slippery.

On the plus side, drivers for Uber-Eats and Door-Dash are making a fortune delivering munchies.

Rick

We're talking about LEGAL use here. How many of your points above speak of legal use?

Tobacco is legal, alcohol is legal. Do two wrongs make a right? No, but pot should be legal as well based on the logic of legal booze and tobacco.

Are you a tobacco user Rick? 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 07:06:56 AM »
Tobacco is legal, alcohol is legal. Do two wrongs make a right? No, but pot should be legal as well based on the logic of legal booze and tobacco.

That is actually not a fair comparison.  Although tobacco (depending on how it is used and how much it is used) can greatly damage the health of the user, nicotine generally doesn't.  But health impact really isn't the issue.  Nicotine can be addictive, but it is not a "mind/reality altering drug" like marijuana and illicit drugs are.  A much more valid comparison of nicotine is with caffeine (America's most popular drug).

Alcohol, however, is a very valid comparison, especially to point out the hypocrisy of the "drug war."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 12:29:04 PM »
If we're on the subject of driving impaired, one cannot leave out cell phone usage.  I'll take a stoner any day of the week vs alcohol impairment or hand held cell phone user.  In fact, just this past Saturday, the President of our Riders Group nearly got severely injured by a stupid woman using her phone and not paying attention to what's in front of her.  Fortunately she looked up in time to lock the brakes before hitting him from the rear.  He had it all on camera and just about was going to ride into a field when she realized what she was doing.  Punishments for driving impaired (any reason) should be harsh.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 02:23:33 PM »
Punishments for driving impaired (any reason) should be harsh.

I couldn't agree more.  Sleepy driving, trying to read a book, taking an over-the-counter cold medicine, screaming at the kids in the back seat, not wearing necessary glasses, applying makeup, messing with the stereo, texting, trying to tie a shoe.  Bad decisions are just bad.

It has little to do with the cause of [voluntary] impairment and everything to do with the bad outcomes.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2019, 04:37:18 PM »
Paranoid much?
mmmm...maybe.....why do you ask?    8)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2019, 05:36:51 PM »