Author Topic: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)  (Read 28123 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Re: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »
Possible alternative for both sides of the pond: "I'm going to dump, bathe and then nap."

or if you're getting ready to go out

"**** , shave & shower"
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 04:10:52 PM »
and of course your latest President is hilarious as "trump" over here means to fart  ;D
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 04:30:32 PM »
I believe the best system is the one the Chinese (and perhaps others) use, which is YYYY/MM/DD/Hour/Minute/Second/second decimals. This system cannot be confused and can be lengthened and shortened with no modification needed. One can specify the year or the microsecond of an event with one unchanged system.

Bingo.  And it can be sorted correctly and easily.  It is called ISO 8601, normally just called "ISO dates"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

YYYY/MM/DD/etc is the only logical way to write and store dates (and dates with times).  So PLEASE let me know when you have changed everyone to use it.  I find it amusing that only China and Japan use it [exclusively].  Meanwhile, I have to keep using the stupid MM/DD/YYYY so people know what the hell I am saying.  Although I have dated things the right way (ISO) and it does seem that many people understand it, as long as the day is > 12.  2018-01-02 is ambiguous (especially to DD-MM-YYYY countries), but 2018-02-27 is not.

BTW- I think DD/MM/YYYY is just as stupid, maybe even more so than MM/DD/YYYY.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »
is that liberals or Liberals ?

Or libourals?  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »
Bingo.  And it can be sorted correctly and easily.  It is called ISO 8601, normally just called "ISO dates"

YYYY/MM/DD/etc is the only logical way to write and store dates (and dates with times).  So PLEASE let me know when you have changed everyone to use it.  I find it amusing that only China and Japan use it [exclusively].  Meanwhile, I have to keep using the stupid MM/DD/YYYY so people know what the hell I am saying.  Although I have dated things the right way (ISO) and it does seem that many people understand it, as long as the day is > 12.  2018-01-02 is ambiguous (especially to DD-MM-YYYY countries), but 2018-02-27 is not.

This is an interesting read

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/10/americans-write-dates-differently-practically-everyone-else-relates-data-storage-holy-wars-soft-boiled-eggs/

Extract:
Although we find it normal, our month-first arrangement to the rest of the world makes little sense, being what one commentator has called middle-endian (computer speak for bass-ackwards).

Endian refers to the organization of binary data storage whereby the most significant byte (8-bit unit of data) is typically stored first (in the smallest address, on the left) or last (in the largest address, on the right). If stored first, it is referred to as “big endian” and last, it is called little-endian.

When it comes to bytes of numbers, the first (left) digit is usually the most significant and will have the greatest value (e.g., if you had a numeric number 1,234, the “1” represents 1000 – by far the largest value in the number). This is the same with dates, where the year, which represents 12 months and 365 days, has the greatest “value,” and the day, the lowest.

In putting dates into bytes, in the big-endian format it would be written as YYYY/MM/DD, while in the little-endian format, it would read DD/MM/YYYY. By putting the month first, we’ve screwed this orderly system up by putting the middle value on an end (middle-endian) – and annoyed a large portion of the planet in the process.
--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 04:43:25 PM »
Actually, now that you mention it, either one works here. I think I would tend toward 'take' but using 'have' would not raise any eyebrows.

TMI referring to the last reference.  ;)

Brian

what about "have" & "take"

eg I would probably use.

"I'm going to have a bath" or "I'm going to have a nap"

I believe the Americans are more likely  to use

"I'm going to take a bath" or "I'm going to take a nap"

That said I'm more likely to say "I'm going to take a dump" then "I'm going to have a dump"
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »
The YYYY/MM/DD thing is understandable to me but only if used in that fashion; the first time I ran into it, the year was shortened to two numbers as in YY/MM/DD and I was a while figuring out what the hell was going on. Neither the American nor the western European methods seemed to work correctly.

On a slightly different note, 7:00 o'clock only happens one per day in Germany too and our AM/PM system confuses them as well as our date notation. Then again, their clocks confuse me as well.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 04:52:23 PM »
I think it is bizarre that Brits have such a huge aversion to the letter "Z" (that is Zeeeee, not Zed!!!) while holding on to all those extra "u"'s.  I mean, "-ize" is one of the most purposeful use of Z, and without it, there isn't much left, well maybe "-zation"

categorize your colors
normalize your flavorings
sexualize that humor
industrialize your armor production
compartmentalize that behavior

Of course, English is a pretty insane language, anyway.  At least it is very descriptive, rich, and colorful.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 08:12:06 PM »
I pronounce 'been' as 'bean'.  Gave my friends in high school (US) lots of mirth.  I pronounce 'herb' as 'herb' not 'erb'.  Words I picked up early as a kid in England.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 08:32:59 PM »
Gave my friends in high school (US) lots of mirth.

... when they really wanted frankincense ... OK, gold.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2018, 02:29:58 AM »
Bangers and Mash.
Perfectly understandable.

Oh, and "take the jug handle" in NJ, which is also crystal clear to this bloke from CO.

Rotary, traffic circle, roundabout, .... dafuk.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2018, 02:34:29 AM »
Bangers and Mash.
Perfectly understandable.

Oh, and "take the jug handle" in NJ, which is also crystal clear to this bloke from CO.

Rotary, traffic circle, roundabout, .... dafuk.

Rick

Mythbusters tested this a while back and proved that the roundabout was more efficient than the 4 way stop junction and better than a Policeman on duty

Roundabouts win with 460 vehicles going through the intersection during the 15 minutes.  All way stop signs had 385 vehicles go through in the 15 minutes and the traffic cop had 289 vehicles go through.  Roundabouts also have a safety advantage with less severe crashes.

http://www.mikeontraffic.com/4-way-stop-vs-roundabout/
--

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2018, 03:01:21 AM »
Mythbusters tested this a while back and proved that the roundabout was more efficient than the 4 way stop junction and better than a Policeman on duty...

I was referring to the different naming conventions as you travel USA ;)

I have no doubt they are efficient, I've driven in EU! :)

In USA, you'll run into several types at a roundabout/rotary/circle/island.
1) Those that are petrified of a rotary (10%)
   1a) Those that have no idea what lane markings are for. (10%)
2) Those that drive what many of us call "Big Dick Flash-mobiles", who are so large/rich they think rules don't apply to them. (10%)
3) Drivers that think they're the only ones on the road. See #2.
4) Normal drivers that know what a rotary is, and how to merge into one (70%)

:)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 03:31:29 AM »
I was referring to the different naming conventions as you travel USA ;)

I have no doubt they are efficient, I've driven in EU! :)

1) Those that are petrified of a rotary (10%)
   1a) Those that have no idea what lane markings are for. (10%)
2) Those that drive what many of us call "Big Dick Flash-mobiles", who are so large/rich they think rules don't apply to them. (10%)
3) Drivers that think they're the only ones on the road. See #2.

:)

Rick

ahhhhh got you :)

Hmmm wonder what the 70% would make of the "magic roundabours"

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/brilliant-sorcery-englands-7-circle-magic-roundabout/
--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 05:32:52 AM »
Wow, I was born near there!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 06:39:44 AM »
ahhhhh got you :)

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/brilliant-sorcery-englands-7-circle-magic-roundabout/

I don't know about that 7 circle insanity but we do see more and more roundabouts here in the US. They are definitely way better than a 4 way stop and in many cases better than a light IMO.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 07:00:45 AM »
Yeah, well the Dutch love the things (BTW- Americans usually call them rotaries but 'roundabout' is gaining ground apparently). In The Netherlands, one can see 3,4 sometimes even 6 or 7 different rotaries standing in one place!

They claim it is the only way to have cross traffic flow without having to interrupt either road with an actual stop. And I guess that is true enough, at least in theory. They are showing up more and more here in the Northeast US and while they may eventually be efficient, right now the two wrecked cars and the LEO cruiser with all  the flashing lights really slows traffic down to a crawl. :-(

Brian

Mythbusters tested this a while back and proved that the roundabout was more efficient than the 4 way stop junction and better than a Policeman on duty

Roundabouts win with 460 vehicles going through the intersection during the 15 minutes.  All way stop signs had 385 vehicles go through in the 15 minutes and the traffic cop had 289 vehicles go through.  Roundabouts also have a safety advantage with less severe crashes.

http://www.mikeontraffic.com/4-way-stop-vs-roundabout/

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2018, 09:57:18 AM »
I've always called them roundabouts.  Never called them rotaries.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2018, 10:20:31 AM »

You may be a bit optimistic in some of those numbers, I'd put #4 around 50% and adjust the others up a bit.

:yikes:  :o :o :o   ???  at least 90%.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »
Yeah but you say 'whilst' too, which is not even a word so.....

I think a lot of the US calls them roundabouts also but here in beautiful, downtown New England we calls 'em rotaries. But hey, we measure our mileage in furlongs per hogshead too so it might be us that is off on this one.

Brian

I've always called them roundabouts.  Never called them rotaries.