Author Topic: ECU Flash  (Read 1739 times)

Offline drsessum

• Former PacNW Motor LEO
    • MoPower2U
ECU Flash
« on: September 25, 2020, 12:03:06 PM »
The Shodabeen C14 ECU Flash

I rode police motors for 11 years. Motorcycle training for police work has high speed riding in it, but it’s more about slow speed operations of the motor. Not just going slow in a straight line. You must maneuver the motor through a wide variety of patterns without stopping or blowing out of the pattern. 
I had also learned the same technique on the ZG1000. Aside from the fairing and driveshaft, it was very similar to the KZ in throttle response and clutch operation. The training officers called the clutch technique operating in the “grey area of the clutch.”  You applied just enough throttle to move the motor then turn it off by regulating the clutch.   Needless to say that if your throttle is jumpy then you'll be using the clutch a lot more.

I have a 2009 Concours 14 is with ABS. The only thing that I did other than the Shodabeen ECU flash was to chop about 6 inches off of the muffler.  Before the flash, as I was riding around my town, I noticed that when I took off from a stop, say a traffic light, I couldn’t just ease off the line without using the clutch a lot more than the ZG or KZ. I knew that it had to do with the C14 being fuel injected. If you rolled on the throttle too quickly it would launch you like a fighter jet from an aircraft carrier.  I thought that I’d have to live with riding it either of two ways, a lot of clutch management or Top Gun.
For the first evaluation, I took the motor to school. I rode over to a nearby school and used the parking lot. Shodabeen suggests that the play in the throttle cables be 0-2mm. I had mine set as close to 0mm as I could get. I started out with a basic serpentine run. I rode in a straight line weaving left to right as if I was going around cones. The throttle was very responsive.

Next, the 180-degree turn within two parking spaces. The average parking space is 9 feet, unless you go to a Costco parking lot.  So you are making a U-turn within 18 feet.  Most motors, including Harleys and BMWs, can make this turn. The operation of throttle and clutch to make it happen. As I arrived at the turning point, the entrance to the pattern, I did a wig-wag with the front wheel, then locked the forks in the direction that I wanted to go. The motor started to fall that way and as it did, I applied power and drove it out the opposite direction.

It sounds simple. It is, but you have to really trust that you will have the power when you ask for it. With this ECU flash, it was there.  I ran a few more patterns like that and then it was time to check out the higher end of the tach.

I was out on the freeway mixing it with the traffic. I needed to merge from one freeway to another. The motor was in 3rd gear as I approached the end of the on-ramp. I saw my opening and just rolled the throttle back as I went through the gears to 5th. It was so smooth as the engine went through the power band. Steve told me that the flash would give me 5th gear roll-on throttle power. He wasn’t lying.

Riding along in OD at about 75 mph in the fast lane, a cage came up on me. I just rolled back the gas and away I went. I looked at the speedo, 90+, and I didn’t even twist it that much!

I like the original Concours because I could see the potential of having two motors in one. The new C14 is even better. With the ECU flash, Steve at Shodabeen has done what he says, he engineered it the way its designers were trying to make it.

This is by far the best investment if you want to get the full potential from this motorcycle.
2009 ABS, Shodabeen Mountain Runner ECU, Chopped Muffler, All LED, Front & Rear Marker Lights, Brake Light Strobe, 430Hz & 510Hz Horns, Koso Heated Grips, RAM X-Grip, Halo Cam M1 DVR system.  A trained, not tamed tiger.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: ECU Flash
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 01:26:22 PM »
This is by far the best investment if you want to get the full potential from this motorcycle.

Indeed it is.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CDII

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 05:00:54 PM »
+++1  :) Love the flash! Great bang for the buck.

Offline jimboni

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 08:13:55 PM »
I just had Steve upgrade me from the old EVO tune to the current MRP flash. Unfortunately I can't try it out as the day it arrived so did the snow. Can't get down my driveway until May very likely. This is going to drive me insane!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 07:40:43 AM »
Can't say enough good things for Steve's flash on my previous bike.  Top speed by radar 215mph... Closed and controlled area not on public road.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 03:44:51 AM »
Can't say enough good things for Steve's flash on my previous bike.  Top speed by radar 215mph... Closed and controlled area not on public road.
Uhoh, Jim's been at the mushrooms again.  :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 05:46:02 AM »
LOL, wasn't me riding it.  I'm not that crazy.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CDII

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 07:31:03 PM »
These C14's respond very well to a good tune!  Lots of fun!

Offline jimboni

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 07:31:50 PM »
UPDATE:
My driveway was finally snow free today so I got to try Steve's MRP for about an hour.
Woo hoo!
The evolution tune I had before was better than stock but this new one is much more smooth and linear through the range. No more off idle jerkiness and almost a rheostat-like power delivery. Like pulling a string. I felt like I might need a valve adjustment before. Now I can see it was just fueling.
Also surprised that the mountain runner premium tune at higher revs does not just kick in ... it's a steady build in power where before it kind of fell flat. I love this bike again.