Author Topic: Advice on game cameras  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Advice on game cameras
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:18:59 AM »
Animal type "game", not video games. ;)

I'll start this on the open forum, maybe it would be better on "The Range" as it might be more of a shooter/hunter type thing, so if it gets moved, that's cool.

I want to get a couple of reasonably priced game cameras for surveillance.  I have limited knowledge and am doing some research slowly gaining more info.  Any recommendations as far as features and brands?  I'd like to stay at $150 or so understanding that the more you pay the more features/better quality you get.  I want good imaging and I'm willing to pay for the extra mega-pixels to get that.  I don't hunt, they will be mounted on trees around my house to photo people and traffic, etc.  At least one will be about 200 yards from the house and left for a week or so at a time. 

Thanks in advance.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: Advice on game cameras
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:20:44 PM »
I can't believe nobody has replied  :o

A fella about a mile from me installed a couple in the trees around his new house in the middle of nowhere. Sure enough, somebody got wind of the new house and took a katy bar to his door one day. The cameras did their job nicely. Said owner printed out the pix and posted them predominately around the neighborhood. Literally 8x11 (B/W) glossy photos with circles and... Cops couldn't really do anything as the photos didn't 'catch anyone in the act'.

That said, get inexpensive ones, make sure they're camo of some sort. As if anybody sees them, they'll probably get damaged.

Color pix are nice bling, but 'color photos' do not work well at night... even w/ infrared LED's. Set one up to take pix of approaching/departing license plates. And do notify your homies you may have hidden cameras around your perimeter.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:06:41 PM »
Thanks, Rick.

That is exactly my intended use.  I was just interested in opinions as to brands, reliablity, etc.  I've been doing research and will make a decision soon.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline booger

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »
And do notify your homies you may have hidden cameras around your perimeter.

Bad idea.  I put a camera up after a couple of car vandalism incidents and found my homies (next door neighbor) trying to break into one of my cars.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:01:34 PM »
Brother is a state biologist for the DNR.   Swears by the Cudeback brand.