Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 128341 times)

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
Re: Looking at a Passat TDI
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2011, 06:20:03 AM »
I had a 1978 Rabbit Diesel. Absolutely no power. You could pretty much put a brick on the gas pedal on the highway for cruise control. Max speed about 80.
Yep, the original 1.5 naturally-aspirated, probably with a 4 speed manual? Best money I ever spent on my Dub was when I went to the 5 speed.
VW went to the 1.6 in '81, added the turbo in '85ish, and finally in the early '90's Canada and Europe started getting a 1.9td ,still with the same bolt pattern, that can be tuned up to 280 horses!

Course you sacrifice a little gas millage, But that would be almost as much fun as the Hayabussa-Smart car!
smart car with Hayabusa engine at 200mph
And you'd still get better gas mileage than 3/4 of the cages on the road!
'02 C-10

Offline booger

Re: Looking at a Passat TDI
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2011, 06:01:57 PM »
The last time I was this pumped was when I got my 14 brand spanking new, if this car provides half as many smiles it'll be a keeper for sure ;D

I had a 01 Jetta VR6.  Great performance, but had it in the shop all of the time.  Car wasn't dependable until about 90Kmiles.  Just about replaced the whole damn thing by that time.  Drove it until it was 11 years old and 160k miles.  The last 70K were real enjoyable, but it was the shts before that.

I've always wanted one with the TDI.  Have a friend that bought one a few years ago and he has had nothing but pure bliss from it.

Offline Scaffolder

Re: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »
I love your intro into Freds TDI page. Tires and oil. lol.
PR3s of course was a great response.
Joel from Maine.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2011, 12:27:30 AM »
I love your intro into Freds TDI page. Tires and oil. lol.
PR3s of course was a great response.
They are quite a bit more timid over there, I'm kinda watching to see how they operate with a bonifide smart ass.  I think I may lose a few followers once I post up picks with my "Drill baby drill" sticker and an "I love Glen Beck" 8)

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2011, 03:17:29 AM »
They are quite a bit more timid over there, I'm kinda watching to see how they operate with a bonifide smart ass.  I think I may lose a few followers once I post up picks with my "Drill baby drill" sticker and an "I love Glen Beck" 8)

You might also want to steal my avatar pic... ;)

rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2011, 04:51:45 AM »
  I think I may lose a few followers once I post up picks with my "Drill baby drill" sticker and an "I love Glen Beck" 8)
Yea, I suspect the only Beck they listen to has "2 turntables and a microphone"  ;)
'02 C-10

Offline Conrad

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2011, 09:27:57 AM »
Hey Chet, does that Jetta come with a factory installed electric engine heater?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »
Hey Chet, does that Jetta come with a factory installed electric engine heater?
I'll have to look, it is something I will need once I live on the dry side of the state ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2011, 04:33:09 PM »
Nope, no block heater, non even mentioned in the manual.  I'm really liking this car, filled up 260 miles ago, she just dropped to 5/8 of a tank, showing an average of 43.8.  Most of the miles have been back country, maybe a third has been freeway.  Still learning all the functions and features.  I will be making a complaint, I found/heard a small screw rolling around in the glove box, yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2011, 04:42:29 PM »
Would a big screw be better?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »
Would a big screw be better?
Uh, no, well, I guess it's all a matter of perspective ;)  We talking about the act or actor? ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2011, 09:14:21 AM »
Chet,

I'm about to take the plunge and talk to a dealer about buying a TDI Sportwagen. I was wondering about your buying experience/strategy. I know that you took advantage of the 0% financing (it's still available till the end of the year). Were you able to get them to come down off the list price while still being able to get the 0%? In the past when buying a new car I always came prepared with financing from my credit union along with the invoice price for the car and all the options that I wanted. I just gave the salesman my list and told him how much over the invoice price I was willing to pay. If the salesman gave me crap about the invoice price not being right, or for any other reason, I turned around and walked out and went to another dealer. The 0% would be great but not if they're gonna make me pay the sticker price to get it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:30:08 PM by Conrad »

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »
Chet,

I'm about to take the plunge and talk to a dealer about buying a TDI Sportwagen. I was wondering about your buying experience/strategy. I know that you took advantage of the 0% financing (it's still available till the end of the year). We're you able to get them to come down off the list price while still being able to get the 0%? In the past when buying a new car I always came prepared with financing from my credit union along with the invoice price for the car and all the options that I wanted. I just gave the salesman my list and told him how much over the invoice price I was willing to pay. If the salesman gave me crap about the invoice price not being right, or for any other reason, I turned around and walked out and went to another dealer. The 0% would be great but not if they're gonna make me pay the sticker price to get it.

Be sure to check Truecar.com before talking to a dealer. It gives you all the sales data in your area, so you know what cars have been selling for. You can also get quotes from multiple dealer.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2011, 12:34:09 PM »
Be sure to check Truecar.com before talking to a dealer. It gives you all the sales data in your area, so you know what cars have been selling for. You can also get quotes from multiple dealer.

Thanks Chris, you can't have too much info! There's a VW dealer fairly close to me but they don't have any Sportwagens on the lot. I'm fine with ordering and waiting to get what I want but I at least want to be able to test drive one first. Closer to Chicago there are lots of dealers with Sportwagens on the lot but none of them seem to have the exact combo of colors and options that I want.

I went to truecar as you suggested. I found three dealers somewhat near me who will sell me the car for, what the site claims, dealer invoice.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2011, 04:21:40 PM »
I paid under invoice, went through the 'net.  My experience was really quite nice, I was prepared to do battle but I never needed to.  I went the route of the extended warranty because I felt it was the right thing to do, for me and the dealer.  If not for the %0 I would have stayed with the standard warranty and skipped the extra xzyline and tinted windows.  My bottom line is really simple, would I refer the saleslady to anyone?  Yes, her name is CindyLu at the Tacoma Look Larson dealer.  I'll gladly share her number if anyone is interested.

So, I hit 300 miles before the gauge registered half.  I should hit 600 before I need to fill er up, and very little of that was highway miles.  The book shows something like a thousand miles before she is broke in.  I think I will really realize the best economy once I get 3 tanks of diesel through her.  Something neat I noticed today, each fob logs it's own economy data, I think I'll challenge my wife to see who does better ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 04:58:52 AM »
I paid under invoice, went through the 'net.  My experience was really quite nice, I was prepared to do battle but I never needed to.  I went the route of the extended warranty because I felt it was the right thing to do, for me and the dealer.  If not for the %0 I would have stayed with the standard warranty and skipped the extra xzyline and tinted windows.  My bottom line is really simple, would I refer the saleslady to anyone?  Yes, her name is CindyLu at the Tacoma Look Larson dealer.  I'll gladly share her number if anyone is interested.

So, I hit 300 miles before the gauge registered half.  I should hit 600 before I need to fill er up, and very little of that was highway miles.  The book shows something like a thousand miles before she is broke in.  I think I will really realize the best economy once I get 3 tanks of diesel through her.  Something neat I noticed today, each fob logs it's own economy data, I think I'll challenge my wife to see who does better ;D

I'll be going with the extended warranty too, so far I have yet to see pricing on this though. In looking a bit more at the percentage rates, it's 0% on '11's and 0.9% on the '12's.

As for break in., from what I'm reading on the TDI site it's more than a 1,000 miles. http://forums.tdiclub.com/

My Silverado has the same deal with separate economy data/fobs, driver one and driver two. It even keeps track of what radio station each driver had on last along with how the doors are programmed to lock/unlock along with a few other items, mirror/seat position...

Son of Pappy

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 08:36:30 AM »
I'll recheck the book on break in, not that it really matters, I aint gonna be hot rodding it.  I do know that I got a '12 at the %0 rate.  About the only thing I didn't get was the 3M film, I was going to but SWMBO wasn't interested.  I also went with the 5 year, 100,000 mile extended, cheaper then the 6 year, 100,000 mile, I'll be over the 100k limit by the 5 year mark so I figured I would keep the spare change for the tank.  I didnt know the fons would also help with the presets.  I wonder if her fob will take control of the radio when we are together 8)
Have you taken a test drive yet?  I'd sure like to hear your opinion.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2011, 08:56:47 AM »
I'll recheck the book on break in, not that it really matters, I aint gonna be hot rodding it.  I do know that I got a '12 at the %0 rate.  About the only thing I didn't get was the 3M film, I was going to but SWMBO wasn't interested.  I also went with the 5 year, 100,000 mile extended, cheaper then the 6 year, 100,000 mile, I'll be over the 100k limit by the 5 year mark so I figured I would keep the spare change for the tank.  I didnt know the fons would also help with the presets.  I wonder if her fob will take control of the radio when we are together 8)
Have you taken a test drive yet?  I'd sure like to hear your opinion.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the extended 5 year/100K warranty cost you? I'd prolly opt for the 6 year because I doubt that with 2 other vehicles and Connie in the line up that I'd do 100k in 5 years.

No, I haven't taken a test drive, heck, I haven't even seen a JSW in person yet. I'll remedy that situation within the next week or so though. I'll post back once I get behind the wheel and let you know what my thoughts are.

Good question about who's fob will take control. Since you have the wireless/push to start option I'd guess whoever has fob number 1? On my Silverado it's whoever uses their fob to unlock the doors.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2011, 09:10:09 AM »
Break-in info from the TDI club. (I know nothing about Jetta TDI's, just passing this along)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=464223

Rules that apply for the life of the car
-When the engine is cold (below the first 3 white marks at the base of the temp gage) rev the engine to at least 2,500 rpms.
-When the engine is warmed up (above the first three white marks) Rev the engine to no less than 3,000 rpms.
The reason for this is to keep the turbo on boost, clear the VNT guide vanes and apply firm pressure to the rings for optimal sealing against blow-by gasses. The rings need the boost to seal since its a turbo charged engine, babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long.

First 1,000 miles
Keep rpms below 3,800. Avoid steady rpms. Frequent firm application of power is strongly recomended up to 3,800 rpm. Avoid the use of cruise control so that you naturally fluctuate the power with your foot.

1,000-5,000 miles
Use the full 5,100 rpm power range. Avoid steady rpms. Avoid the use of cruise control. Frequent application of full throttle is recomended to help seat the rings. City driving is ideal for breaking in a TDI due to frequent stops and acceleration. Once you get to 5,000 miles change the oil and perform your first service per the manual

5,000-10,000 miles
Use of the cruise control is ok at this point since most of the initial break in has occured. Continue to use occasional full throttle accelerations to continue to seat the rings. You will notice the engine become slightly louder during this phase due to less friction from the engine breaking in (normal for a diesel to become louder under lighter loads). If your going on a long drive and you are using the cruise, every so often step on the peddle to accelerate up about 20 mph then coast back down to your preset speed.

10,000-60,000
This is when the rest of the break in occurs. The engine from the factory will check out with about 475psi of compression pressure out of the crate. It will take at least 60,000 miles to reach the peak pressure of 550psi. For the most part once you get to 10,000 miles your compression will be around 510psi meaning that most of the break in has occured.

60,000-the life of the motor
The engines I have seen so far using a 5w40 oil are maintaining 550 psi of compression pressure with over 200,000 miles on the odometer. The owners have followed the advice above and do not have any oil consumption issues. This also means that with the higher pressure the engine is more efficient returning optimal fuel economy and reduced smoke output.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »
It was packaged with the xzyline coating, it was in the neighborhood of 2k.  Have you done the internet request?  My wife had been shopping for a few months and some of the net salespeople were quite demanding, but CindyLu wasn't, she felt quite genuine, a big reason why we didn't buy from the dealership 10 minutes away.  I had informed her through emails what I was looking for and asked for a best price up front.  The base price I paid for the TDI, w/nav package was 25,500.  Sticker on the car was 29,900.  Before trade in, with the ext. warranty, TT&L, and coating OTD was 30 and change.  I got 105000 trade in on an 06 Colorado.
Oh, I got the %0 on a 2012, I wonder if end of the month volume sales helped?  I do know from recruiting that MEPS was always more eager to work and deal then they were say mid month.
I am kinda missing my truck though.  I have a great wife, she is looking for an F350 diesel, turbo of course ;D

Wow, way differant that what the book calls for.  Some similarities like varrying RPMs, but the car (2012 anyway) doesn't have a temp gauge.  First checkup is due at 6k miles, then every 10 after that.  Since the first 4 services are covered I will be doing them as required.  They say oil change intervals are 10,000 miles, Holy cow, I think I'll be staying at 5-6k for changes once the contract is up.  Probably overkill, but it will make me feel better.  I may even do an oil change early, I've seen what comes out of a new engine after a hundred miles, I dont think I want to keep that stuff in there for 6k miles.  It comes with full synthetic, so natuarally it will stay that way.