Author Topic: Fork Seals (I hate 'em)  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Furbo

• Arena
Fork Seals (I hate 'em)
« on: March 19, 2012, 02:41:28 AM »
Finished up my annual service on the bike this weekend, oil changed, valves adjusted, coolant topped, brake fluid  changed, blah, blah....just feeling victorious when I noticed a slight bit of oil on the LH fork leg....yippie.  Fortuantely I had a spare seal on the shelf.

As many know, this can be a bear of a chore due to the fork design and the difficulty of getting the bottom slider off. Had GREAT results from using air impact driver with a 10mm hex attachment and 3" extension bar. Popped the bolt right off.  :chugbeer:

Should be ready for the 1st big trip up to Germany in APR - hope to clock up 50K miles by summer's end, been steady on about 10K/yr since I got it.  ;D
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline Summit670

Re: Fork Seals (I hate 'em)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
I installed the mx type rubber accordian boots on my forks too many years ago to remember and haven't replaced seals since then.  Prior to that I'd done a few replacements.

Also, inspect the fork tubes for nicks from rocks and wet sand those out using 600 grit in crosshatch pattern.

As for the fork innards spinning, I welded a nut (fit I believe was for 15/16 wrench) on the end of a rod, then welded a t-handle on the topside.  That nuts fits perfect to hold the inside from spinning on my 87 while I break the allen bolt free at the bottom.

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.