Author Topic: Should I upgrade or not  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Coomers

Should I upgrade or not
« on: September 29, 2020, 03:00:23 PM »
I have an 08 Conny that I have owned and loved for 10 years. Presently I have 55,000 mi and have had little trouble and love the ride. This spring I went to the effort to adjust the valves for the second time, change the plugs and all fluids so I expect I'm good to go for many more miles.

Recently a 2014 red Conny caught my eye. it seems other than the linked brake issue everything has been improved. My question is, does the 2014 still have the kpass, brake rotor or leaky valve cover issues the 08 had? Is there any new problems that crept up in the 2014's that weren't in the 08's? like a 4th gear issue.

Lastly has anyone swapped out the 08-09 tank compartment for the 2010 + and vise versa? I love the 08 - 09 tank compartment and never use a tank bag.

I hate to give my Conny away but that red...

Thanks,

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Should I upgrade or not
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
My question is, does the 2014 still have the kpass, brake rotor or leaky valve cover issues the 08 had?

Yep.  Other than the ignition knob supposedly has a stronger spring.

Is there any new problems that crept up in the 2014's that weren't in the 08's? like a 4th gear issue.

Not that I have seen/read.

Lastly has anyone swapped out the 08-09 tank compartment for the 2010 + and vise versa? I love the 08 - 09 tank compartment and never use a tank bag.

Yes, there are posts on that.

I hate to give my Conny away but that red...

If you love the C14 and have a really old one, it really isn't an insane idea to buy a newer one with a lot less miles, to extend your love.  Especially since the gen2 has a lot of nice additional features.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 04:02:53 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 05:43:10 PM »
The Linked brakes are not worked out on the 2014.
Their abrupt if your using the front/rear and add the other.
I have taught myself to never touch the rear brake and the Link works well if used that way.

But: The 2014 IS the fastest color!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jwh20

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 07:29:10 PM »
My first Connie was a 2008 which I really loved and had absolutely no complaints with.  But a mint 2012 for sale caught my eye and I had to have it.  I reluctantly let the 2008 go to a good home.

I'd have to say the differences are few and far between.  First of all, my 2012 is Arabian Red which I think is an awesome color.  Performance-wise, I'm not sure I can tell the difference.  Many here and elsewhere complain about the linked brakes but I absolutely love them.  They do the job and do so very well.  As long as you read the manual and understand what's going on, you will be on-board with them.

KiPass and Key Immobilizer are identical.

So what's better?  I like having ABS and TC and I like the better airflow around the plastics and the slightly higher mirrors.

Is it worth upgrading?  Hard to say.  For me it was worth it.  My only complaint about the C14 is the OEM seat.  It's not the worst seat I've ever had (the Yamaha FZ-09 and it was like sitting on a 2x6!) but I upgraded to a Seth Laam Custom seat and I'm good to go.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 08:43:35 PM »
So what's better?  I like having ABS and TC and I like the better airflow around the plastics and the slightly higher mirrors.

Plus heated grips, better dash illumination, handlebar computer control, ambient temp display, locking glove box (although tiny), better drain plug, better local heat management.  Not huge additions, but enough to make it more desirable.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 09:38:20 PM »
A lot of those 'features' come with their own problems and I actually like the gen. 1 glove box far better than the gen. 2 version. Heated gloves beat heated grips, again it is an opinion about improved dash lighting because again I prefer the red gen. 1 to the white gen. 2, an ambient temp. gauge is an $8 stick on if one wants it and the better heat management (yeah, I also think it is better) comes with a big increase in PITA fairing removal / reinstallation. My shoulders slump in resignation every time a gen. 2 comes into tech. day and needs any clothing removed and if someone else volunteers, I jump out of the way :=)

Not saying you are wrong here, just saying that there can be different opinions.

Kicking around the idea of another Concours, and of course it will be a gen. 2 whether it is new or used and while I do appreciate some of the new features a bit, they are kinda' of a wash for me. And I prefer the straighter lines on the original C-14 although I do prefer the black wheels.

But as always, is it not wonderful to have first- world problems and the time and freedom to complain about them? I mean at the end of the day, we are discussing the finer points of what is basically a toy for most of us anyway. So if that is my big problem I guess I am in pretty great shape, huh?

That said, I am not looking forward to farkeling up another C-14. Nothing horrible but spending all that time leaning over, bending into and generally clambering around a motorcycle is getting more difficult 'cause I am aging like bread rather than wine (getting old, crusty and maybe moldy in places and certainly not improving the vintage).

Plus heated grips, better dash illumination, handlebar computer control, ambient temp display, locking glove box (although tiny), better drain plug, better local heat management.  Not huge additions, but enough to make it more desirable.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »
A lot of those 'features' come with their own problems

Agreed.  Mostly positive changes, but some are just a matter of preference/taste/opinion.

But as always, is it not wonderful to have first- world problems and the time and freedom to complain about them? I mean at the end of the day, we are discussing the finer points of what is basically a toy for most of us anyway. So if that is my big problem I guess I am in pretty great shape, huh?

So true.  The C14 is a refined and wonderful machine.  Most of the stuff we like to complain about really are small potatoes (especially when I read what some owners have to deal with on many other bike models).  My two biggest issues thus far have only been just how dreadful it is to adjust the valves and the annoyance of the TPS batteries dying too quickly.  Meh- life is pretty good.

That said, I am not looking forward to farkeling up another C-14. Nothing horrible but spending all that time leaning over, bending into and generally clambering around a motorcycle is getting more difficult 'cause I am aging like bread rather than wine (getting old, crusty and maybe moldy in places and certainly not improving the vintage).

Well, I can certainly relate to that.  There have been some things I said "OMG, I can't go through THAT again."  And there is the problem that some of the important farkels aren't even available now (like Cayon Cages).  But at least doing it a second-time-around means you might remember how so it will be easier, and can avoid some of the changes that didn't work out or an opportunity to go in a different direction.  Plus, there is a possibility of reusing some of those addons/swaps that are in good condition and you want to keep and transfer (windscreen, seat, cages, lighting, risers, etc).

What would depress me would be losing the color I really love, Atomic [actual] Silver.

Offline Coomers

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
You guys are great!

After all these years the information and opinions here are still very insightful and always help.

I agree with everything said above which I guess is why I haven't pulled the trigger. Even my biggest complaint being the heat is actually nice up here in Canada 65% of the time.

Then there is the thought of letting my baby go, although the mileage may not show it compared to others I have been on dozens of trips and formed a real bond.

Seeing as my 08 is worth crap I may just buy the 14 and keep the 08 for now and ride both. It would take some time to move the parts over and I can always sell either next summer. My wife will be pissed if I bring another bike home though...

Offline PH14

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 11:01:38 AM »
If you aren't having any issues, and unless there is some feature the newer model has that you really want, I can't see upgrading. I have a 2009 and have no desire to buy a new model. I bought it as a leftover instead of a 2010 because it didn't have ABS or linked brakes. I am happy with that decision.

If I were to get rid of it, it would be to buy something completely different, and not to replace it with what is basically the same bike. Now, it the bike was in need of replacement due to very high miles and things actually failing, and that would take a lot of miles, then I might buy a new Concours, but at 55,000 miles the bike is nowhere near the point of replacement.  Mine had a little under that and is like new for all practical purposes.

What I did, was buy a different bike in addition to the Concours, for me, that was a better use of money. I actually enjoy the Concours more as a result. It is a nice change from the other bike I bought.  Of course the downside is that I put a Day Long Russell seat on the new one, and now I want one for the Concours despite the fact I never liked the looks of them on the Concours. I just like the seat so much, that now I don't care how it will look on the Concours. So, on to seat number four for the Course.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 11:34:53 PM »
My wife will be pissed if I bring another bike home though...

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission....... Just thought I'll leave that there....
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Coomers

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 06:01:28 AM »
Beyond the link brake software update was there any differences other than color between the 14's and 15's and newer?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 08:34:31 AM »
Beyond the link brake software update was there any differences other than color between the 14's and 15's and newer?

There are other changes between '14 and '15. Most significant was the change in first gear ratio making it lower geared to aid in launching with two up. I also think the U.S. versions came with O2 sensors in '15 and the red warning light was changed to yellow, and some chrome rings around the gauges. In addition to a new seat, there is increased heat shielding on the exhaust and the windscreen came with a new vent in '15 which (IMO) dramatically reduced back pressure when open. I believe there were enough changes to warrant the '15 and up years being refered to as Gen 2.1 instead of Gen2. There may be other changes that I've forgotten but max' will come along to keep me honest if I've forgotten anything or screwed it up somehow.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 03:34:35 PM »
There are other changes between '14 and '15. Most significant was the change in first gear ratio making it lower geared to aid in launching with two up. I also think the U.S. versions came with O2 sensors in '15 and the red warning light was changed to yellow, and some chrome rings around the gauges. In addition to a new seat, there is increased heat shielding on the exhaust and the windscreen came with a new vent in '15 which (IMO) dramatically reduced back pressure when open. I believe there were enough changes to warrant the '15 and up years being refered to as Gen 2.1 instead of Gen2. There may be other changes that I've forgotten but max' will come along to keep me honest if I've forgotten anything or screwed it up somehow.

They also installed a lighter steering stem seal, different rear luggage base, stiffer rear suspension (not sure if it is actually different equipment, or if they just set the default different), added a tank pad, lesser linking on the linked brakes (mentioned by OP), revised the seat, and added cushions on the rear pegs.  Most of the changes were pretty minor.  I agree it probably should be called a Gen 2.1.  Calling it a Gen 3 is a stretch- no body panel changes, no new electronics, no engine changes, no actual suspension, exhaust, or brake system changes, it is all minor compared to the changes from Gen 1 to Gen 2.  I don't think any of the changes would be considered negative by anyone but also probably not terribly compelling, either (compelling enough to consider a 2015+ over a 2010-2014).

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 03:47:58 PM »
Well if we are going with that for a sub- generation marker, how about 2019 being a gen. 2.2 'cause they knocked the shine off the paint. :-(

Brian

<snip>

I agree it probably should be called a Gen 2.1.  Calling it a Gen 3 is a stretch- no body panel changes, no new electronics, no engine changes, no actual suspension, exhaust, or brake system changes, it is all minor compared to the changes from Gen 1 to Gen 2.  I don't think any of the changes would be considered negative by anyone but also probably not terribly compelling, either (compelling enough to consider a 2015+ over a 2010-2014).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 05:11:04 PM »
Those rascally Japanese and their Saki parties....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Coomers

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 11:03:36 AM »
Thanks again Guys,

Great info, I think I'm going to spend a couple of bucks more and buy a 15 plus. Probably an 18 because I like the dark grey with the green pin stripe. I also like the 19 & 20 flat grey / black but I just don't know if i like it is because it is different or I just like it.

Offline Coomers

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 08:08:38 PM »
Well I bought an 18 Metallic Carbon Grey with under 4000 mi and new tires all be it crappy Bridgestone's.

Took it for a short rip and I was surprised how much all the subtle changes added up to a nicer ride.

I also have to mention I let it go on my favorite backroad and yes the bottom end is a little week compared to my 08 with an Area P, flies out, power commander 5 with a fuel moto map but after 5000 rpm I swear it pulls dam near as hard as my 08.

I was planning of switching out my Area P but now I'm not sure. Either way the ECU is going to Ivan's for a flash and we'll go from there.

Thanks again for all your insight.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 09:28:51 PM »
I was planning of switching out my Area P but now I'm not sure. Either way the ECU is going

Flash first.  The muffler won't matter.  :)