Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1332 times)

Offline j_wahl91

« on: March 29, 2020, 08:15:33 PM »
Good evening! New forum member here, my name is Jason. I own a 2017 ZG1400 ABS. Figured since I plan to have this bike for a good while, it might be beneficial to find a forum to partake in to see what everyone likes/dislikes about their rides and what they do to improve them!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 07:48:11 PM »
Well, this is certainly the place to be.  Welcome and bring a sense of humour.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 05:19:19 AM »
Welcome Jason, from the right side of the pond  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 12:35:10 PM »
Welcome Jason, so did you want us to all just unload everything we've done to our bikes or did you want to give us some of the problems you may have experienced on yours.

Most have had seat comfort issues as well as handle bar comfort issues. These all seem to be very subjective, so mostly the info from us will be about things to try as there doesn't seem to be any one fix for everybody. If you are experiencing any of this then I suggest that you find a solution to the handlebar issue before you search for a seat solution since the former may effect the latter more than the reverse. They are interrelated for sure. My solution was to raise and move the bars back a bit. I say a bit because I didn't have to get hose extensions for the clutch and brake lines, but I'm right at the limit of mine. My seat solution is an Airhawk seat pad. I just don't want to go through what others have had to do because going from one $400 seat to another $600 seat seems dumb when an Airhawk lets me ride 10+ hour days without my butt being the thing that hurts the most when I stop for the day.

There are of course, other things that can be modified. It's a darned heavy bike for some of us little guys so tip over protection can be important to protect the plastics. Some like an electronic cruise control, and more electrical outlets on the side for heated gear. Some move the under seat tools into the side case so they have room for an electrical distribution block under the seat, some want louder horns, aux lighting. Some pin the side bags so they don't fall off and others think that's just silly.

So Jason, I suggest  that you get to know your bike by just reading the owner's manual to make sure you understand the ins and outs of Kipass, of the different fuel maps etc.
Seems a bit boring maybe, but there are a lot of misconceptions and misinformation out there that can be eliminated by simply reading the OM. Might I suggest you keep it in the bathroom for a few weeks until you find the time to go through it? Disregard this last suggestion if you are currently having toilet tissue supply issues.  ::)

So tell us more about your bike, used? new? ....if the former, any pre-installed farkles?
What is the first thing that you'd like to change about it if you had a magic wand?
 Many of us are home bound so we've got nothing better to do than give you suggestions.  ;D

..again, welcome Jason.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 12:48:16 PM »
Oh, and Jason, I forgot to add...there is a lot of talk about what flash to get. I'm not going to get involved in the flash wars and I'll attempt to keep it that way. I will say that IMO most are exaggerated in their praise of the one they have. I've had three, one each from the major suppliers of same. There is one that is almost useless and the other two don't have enough difference between them to worry about. If you get either one of the latter two you'll be happy. If you then jump across the fence to the other side because you think the grass might be greener, I think you'll find that you've wasted your money, but then performance per dollar is also a subjective thing.

Offline j_wahl91

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 03:04:12 PM »
I'd be happy to share more about myself and my ride. I got my bike brand new in 2017, basically have ownership to all but maybe 3 miles ridden on it. I'm 6'2" so I'm pretty comfortable with where everything was set up as far as stock ride height and bar position goes. Only modification I'm really looking into right now is to possibly find a longer storage rack to fit my 40L Nelson Rigg Hurricane bag/tailpack while attempting to keep the passenger seat available. Granted, this is probably a tall order and may not be possible. Either way, I like where my ride is at with the heated grips that came with it and basically having everything stock. Granted, I wouldn't mind having a different slip on than the giant thing Kawasaki likes to throw on all their units.

Now, as far myself goes, I've been riding since my teenage years. Think I'm approaching either the 12 or 13 year mark. But I started down in the baby cc range and worked my way up. My first ride above the 250cc mark was an 84 Honda Magna 700, thing was fun to ride. Unfortunately I ended up having some sort of electrical issue with it and couldn't find the parts for it. So then I made a move to buy my first vehicle brand new in the form of the black and yellow B.O.S.S edition of the 2014 Suzuki Boulevard M109R. Absolutely loved that ride, and I kind of wish I didn't trade it in but I wouldn't be here if I hadn't. I currently work part time at the dealer I've bought my bikes from with the parts department, so should anyone here need help finding OEM parts, I can try to provide proper PNs to make life a little easier.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:45:41 PM by j_wahl91 »

Offline j_wahl91

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 03:43:52 PM »
Also, just to clear air on the dealer side, I'm not here to promote or try to make sales. I just want to share that I have access to the ability to find part numbers and such to help the general public find what they're looking for. (Was reading the marketplace rules and didn't want to be seen in a bad light)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 03:55:32 PM »
(Was reading the marketplace rules and didn't want to be seen in a bad light)

Sorry, too late, fellow shortie max' (maxtog) and I hate anybody as tall as you.  :rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 10:44:12 AM »
Also, just to clear air on the dealer side, I'm not here to promote or try to make sales. I just want to share that I have access to the ability to find part numbers and such to help the general public find what they're looking for. (Was reading the marketplace rules and didn't want to be seen in a bad light)

Thank you!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.