Author Topic: Thinking about trading off the Connie...  (Read 46501 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: Thinking about trading off the Connie...
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2015, 07:49:14 PM »
I have ridden many of the Victory lineup.  The Vision is a great handling bike.  The looks are out there, and the ergonomics lock you into that cruiser riding position.  Nearest dealer is 80 moles away. 

When you start getting in the low $20k on bikes there becomes a lot of choices.  I'd probably get a fully loaded R1200GS water boxer.  The suspension is amazing on the latest model, and plenty of power. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2015, 07:52:57 PM »
...until you're stuck behind them in your own personal hell cause you can't pass.... 8)

Your on a concours, you don't get stuck behind anyone unless you choose to. 

When I want to ride casual and enjoy the scenery, I'd rather be on a cruiser.  Riding the concours at the speed limit is boring at best, and excruciating at worst.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2015, 01:10:46 AM »
Seems folks everywhere like Harleys.  Just this one forum has over 300,000 members. 

I think most of them are following a concept, not a product.

Besides, don't discount us.... quality is better than quantity :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2015, 07:50:29 AM »
So this will be my one and only Harley Defender post. I DO NOT like the company called Harley Davidson for many reasons (Eric Buell's treatment comes to mind). I love Harleys.  Very much.  I've owned only two of them in my life - a 96 1200 Sportster sport model, and an 06 RoadKing Custom model, but both did their jobs extremely well.  Both were super reliable. 

The image of a greaseball Harley rider wrenching his shovelhead on the side of the road is 35 years out of date.  My bullet proof Sportster went over 100 THOUSAND miles before I destroyed the engine getting cute and looking for 1400cc of displacement - it would have gone much further had I just left it alone.  I took it on a 5000 mile cross country trip by myself that was absolutely epic.

The road king was superb at what it was meant to do - go somewhere far away in comfort, but still be a daily rider.  It didn't corner for ****, it wanted to run at 70 mph all day and didn't really appreciate anything over 85, but 600-700 mile days were easy with me and the wife on back (I don't do iron butts - not my thing).  I sold it after three years and 60 thousand trouble free miles because I still owed money on it and I was starting a business and didn't need the monthly expense (Still had 2 other bikes in the garage at the time).  I regret it terribly.   

While I demand reliability, I like more than performance on motorcycles, I like character - one of the reasons I am forever stuck lusting after bikes from the early 80's - they all had character!  Harley's have character.  (This Connie has character - I'm just not sure yet exactly what it is...lol)

I'll sum it up like this - of all the bikes I've ever owned (2 Kawis, 2 Hondas, 3 Yamahas, and 2 Harleys), the Sportster is my favorite all around bike - A Harley Davidson.  I love all types, all brands, all styles of motorcycle, and all have flaws, but Harley gets unfairly treated, IMHO, because of the history of the MoCo itself, and the history of the Harley culture, not the bikes.

Now, as to the original idea about twins - I'm a "V" fan and a thumper fan.  Only my 2 Kawi's were inline engines.  My Honda's were an '86 V-twin shadow and an '84 V4 Magna (WHAT A BIKE!).  My Yamaha's, are two '78 SR500 thumpers (can not tell you how cool these bikes are!) and a V4 '85 Venture Royal.  And, of course, 2 Harley's.  I'm extremely interested in the new Indians and I've looked a Victory bikes several times over the last few years.

In the immortal words of Ron Burgundy, "I love torque.  Torquie torque torque."  The biggest challenge to the Connie is re-learning to keep the rpms ABOVE 4 grand instead of under 4 grand...lol

"This is where I place a funny comment."

Offline texrider

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »
Tall adventure steeds may get tiresome. What about a fun standard like the CB1100? You could move out of the cruiser and Guzzi.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2015, 03:45:53 PM »
I road all the Victory's when the factory truck came through Denver a couple of years ago. The Vision was the most impressive and surprising. I can't get past the looks either but it is one impressive luxury ride.

Offline tomp

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2015, 05:06:41 PM »
Tall adventure steeds may get tiresome. What about a fun standard like the CB1100? You could move out of the cruiser and Guzzi.
The 1100 was originally designed for Japanese riders, and no real ergo changes were made for taller American riders.   I put my name on one before they were even available.  Upon arrival, sitting on it for just a few seconds was enough for me to back out of the deal. Seat to peg length was the shortest I had sat on, including sport bikes.  I only have a 30" inseam, too.  I know Honda increased the tank and added a 6th gear, but the seating arrangement still is too tight for me.  Lot less HP than my 1150RT, too. 

Shoot it's his money we're spending, so I say, get the new R1200R WC.  Not too tall, not too short, Screens and bags are available for longer trips, and it has 125HP.  As a standard, the insurance isn't too bad, either.  I would love to have one, but the 14 stays, and the RT is paid for too, so I guess unless I win the lottery, the R-R will continue to be a dream for me. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2015, 07:21:59 PM »
Replace the C14 and the Voyager with a Victory Vision Tour? Yeah, belt drive isn't a shaft, but it ain't a chain either. Rode with a guy in January in west Texas that rode one. The twisties didn't slow him down. He hung with the C14s, C10, and the ST1300 no problem. He even took it off pavement a bit (dirt road at the end of TX FM 170 in Candelaria TX.). He and his Vision Tour were very quiet, very visible, and very fast, and had a heck of a lot of storage, and the back seat looked comfy too! Fuel injected, hydraulic lifters, 26.5" seat height, power windshield, heated seats and grips, ABS, cruise control, the looks would take some getting use to, but I was impressed, and I didn't think I'd ever be impressed by a V twin.  Just a thought.

If Kim Kardashian were a motorcycle, this is what she would look like from behind.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »
Not sure if Buck Rogers or George Jetson... :-\
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline tomp

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2015, 07:30:23 PM »
Even the Vision isn't this broad in the beam... If told to haul azz, she'd have to make two trips... ;D

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2015, 08:24:21 PM »
Dude!  :battle: I can't un-see that!   :battle:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline texrider

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2015, 08:37:04 PM »
Since beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, I may have to go give the new V-strom 1000 another look this week...
It's been kinda growing on me as a possible what's next.  8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline tomp

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »
Dude!  :battle: I can't un-see that!   :battle:
It was connie14boy that made the comparison.  I was simply allowing all to make the same comparison....Rather large isn't it. . .   Strange, being famous for having a big azz, and nothing else. 

Tex, saw a new Strom a while back.  Super bike and the stupid clutch basket chudder is a thing of the past. 

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2015, 08:53:27 PM »
Tom, the SHADOW of that azz weighs 20 lbs

Offline tomp

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2015, 08:58:52 PM »
Tom, the SHADOW of that azz weighs 20 lbs
Damn, you made me choke, I got to laughing sooo hard.  But I do believe you are right.  tp

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2015, 09:05:51 PM »
That pic should be on the aircraft we like thread. A small plane could land on it.

Offline tomp

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2015, 09:25:09 PM »
Wonder what he had in mind for that cell phone?   Or is that a geiger counter, checking to see if any atomic contraband is being smuggled in there?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2015, 04:06:44 AM »
I've banned members for less...and you did it TWICE!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2015, 04:39:11 AM »
That phone must have the new 'Cattle Prod App'.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2015, 08:28:33 AM »
Damn thing's so big it's shredding her pants.