Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 874331 times)

Offline mikecon

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3140 on: July 31, 2018, 02:18:52 PM »
I assume you mean Road 5? If so, I just put one on my FZ1 and will be putting Road 5s on my Concours as well. Still have some tread left on the tires but the TPMS low battery message is coming on when bike's cold so may just get new tires and get the battery replaced in the TPMS while I'm at it.

What size did you go with? 190/50 or 190/55.

Went with the 55. Had the 55, PR4 before and liked it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3141 on: July 31, 2018, 03:26:43 PM »
Had a P5 Michelin put on the rear, replacing a PR4.

What is a P5?  I see no such tire.  A "Road 5" perhaps?  And if so, right from their site:  "the Kawasaki 1400 GTR [Concours 14] requires the GT version of MICHELIN Road 5, which will become available in 2019. Until then please choose MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires."

Which also leads to the questions-

1) What is the difference between the R5GT (Road) and PR4GT (Pilot Road)?
2) Are they dropping the "PR" (Pilot Road) name?
3) Is the R replacing the PR?
4) Is the R5 really just a PR5 with a new (shorter) name?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #3142 on: July 31, 2018, 03:47:03 PM »
What is a P5?  I see no such tire.  A "Road 5" perhaps?  And if so, right from their site:  "the Kawasaki 1400 GTR [Concours 14] requires the GT version of MICHELIN Road 5, which will become available in 2019. Until then please choose MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires."

Which also leads to the questions-

1) What is the difference between the R5GT (Road) and PR4GT (Pilot Road)?
2) Are they dropping the "PR" (Pilot Road) name?
3) Is the R replacing the PR?
4) Is the R5 really just a PR5 with a new (shorter) name?

R stands for Road. It's Michelin Road 5. Don't know why they got rid of the name "Pilot" but all the reviews I've heard/read about it claim superior wet weather grip and great grip in dry as well. I hadn't seen the warning from Michelin about not putting a Road 5 on the Concours. I'll get another PR4GT. It's still a great tire.
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3143 on: July 31, 2018, 04:29:35 PM »
Yeah, I am going to guess they are "retiring" the "PR" for just "R."  So the R5 probably is, essentially, the PR5.  Kinda surprised how quickly they are going through the generations.  It didn't seem that long ago that the PR4 came out!

I will say, the wet performance of the PR4GT on the Concours is impressive (to me, anyway... I certainly don't push things anywhere to the limit).  Sometimes I wonder how much actual difference there is between these generations and if it isn't just marketing.  Hmmm......
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline okrider

« Reply #3144 on: July 31, 2018, 04:45:48 PM »
The major selling point of the Road 5 is that they claim a half worn Road 5 has better stopping distance than a brand new PR4.
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3145 on: July 31, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »
The major selling point of the Road 5 is that they claim a half worn Road 5 has better stopping distance than a brand new PR4.

Does wear usually affect stopping distance all that much?  I wouldn't have thought so, unless the [presumably center] compound changes stickiness?  And usually stickiness is inverse of wear, so does that mean the R5 will wear faster than the PR4?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:32:12 PM by maxtog »

Offline okrider

« Reply #3146 on: July 31, 2018, 05:53:54 PM »
I'm afraid it will last less than the PR4. It hasn't been out long enough for anyone to actually go through it and put a review up yet.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3147 on: July 31, 2018, 07:27:37 PM »
yeah, they claim that, but kinda makes me say "why" did ya cut yer nose off, in saying that....

they claim it's because the grooves ar internally tapered, so as the tire wears, the groove widens, opposite of what happens between new and half worn on the 4 prior PR versions (starts wide, gets narrower)...
 with that same mental note, I would have to ask them... "do they push more water, and reduce the hydroplane effect from the start, or do we have to wait 3000 miles to get the optimum grip?"

I've always liked the PR series, and also the Macaddam series prior to that (liked them a LOT), I just hate when a manufacturer goes full circle and tells why the 'new' product is better, when the 'older product' was supposed to be superior to everything,
it really ends up being about the rubber compound, softer wears, but grips, long wearing tires get flat spots, and don't grip... dual compound tires ... well, supposedly that multi silicate compound in the originals, and also in the old Avon AV series, once wetted, and has absorbed as much H2O as it can hold, grip good... what about dry? etc., etc., and on.

then again, this applies...
I'm afraid it will last less than the PR4. It hasn't been out long enough for anyone to actually go through it and put a review up yet.

and testing on a big fat bike like a C14, with passenger and security squad sized rider, torturing it for 5k miles... well, what next.
Hell, I'm still running PR3's.. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :rotflmao: :1DeadBanana

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3148 on: July 31, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »
yeah, they claim that, but kinda makes me say "why" did ya cut yer nose off, in saying that....

Yep, exactly the point of my last [somewhat rhetorical] questions.  Unless there are new, miraculous discoveries, things tend to always be a series of compromises.  So are they just shifting the benefit spectrum to a new direction and focusing on that and forgetting to tell us what what compromise(s) was made?  Perhaps.  Marketing 101.  I mean, how much can tire technology change in a no-compromise way in a just a few years?  Call me skeptical.

Offline okrider

« Reply #3149 on: August 01, 2018, 07:12:40 AM »
Well, I just put a Road 5 rear on my FZ1. I'll see how long it lasts. Seeing as I can't put the Road 5 on the Concours yet, I'll see how it is on the other bike first. Then make a decision. I also have to replace the batteries in the sensors. I believe they started putting the "updated" (no replacement) TPMS in 2010 but some 2011s reportedly still have them? I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3150 on: August 01, 2018, 07:19:26 AM »
you can tell by the difference of the valve stems. there are pictures somewhere.

Offline okrider

« Reply #3151 on: August 01, 2018, 08:01:35 AM »
you can tell by the difference of the valve stems. there are pictures somewhere.

Brilliant. Thanks gPink, found the picture here: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21909.0

Comparing it to the pictures I've taken of my bike this past couple week, it seems I have the old style, I'll learn to change batteries when the time comes! It's so nice to not have to take your bike to anyone for maintenance stuff like this.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3152 on: August 01, 2018, 09:00:27 AM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3153 on: August 01, 2018, 03:29:55 PM »
I also have to replace the batteries in the sensors. I believe they started putting the "updated" (no replacement) TPMS in 2010 but some 2011s reportedly still have them? I guess I'll have to wait and see.

No, they came out in 2014.  Now, you might discover a newer model TPS in an older bike, but only if they had the sensors replaced after 2014 by a dealer (or if you ordered it yourself) and when the old ones were no longer available.  The old ones might have more value now, since the batteries can be replaced.  But if the replacement was done under factory warranty, it is hard to argue with new sensors, and they WILL take the old ones back (you can't keep the old ones, unfortunately).

Offline toon

« Reply #3154 on: August 01, 2018, 07:33:34 PM »
So since I purchased my 2009 c14 a month or so ago, I have installed murps's risers with the wedges and ram balls and cleared the sticking gas cap issue. This week I decided I did not trust the plastic luggage rack, so with a little help from http://philsfarkels.com i am installing the wonderfully machined aluminium rack with the adjustable rails and t nuts. OOh yeah I also added a ram x phone holder and a cup holder. I am hoping not to lose another water bottle due to my heavy twisting (I thought it would stay in my jacket pocket if I closed the zipper a little,)
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one
88 connie (rear ended)
12 Ural, 16 KLR
09 Connie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3155 on: August 05, 2018, 02:22:01 PM »
08-05-2018 36,117mile odo:  Replaced oil & filter and rear final drive oil-  2yrs 2mo, 14,617miles.  Used Liquid Molly Racing 4T 10w40 synthetic engine oil, K&N KM-303 filter, and Redline 75w90 synthetic GL5+ gear oil.  This time, the K&N nut worked and I could get it off easily with a 17mm extension (last time it was impossible).  The gear oil looked almost new.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #3156 on: August 06, 2018, 04:26:38 AM »
Just had a new set of PR4GT's fitted. Doing a 4000Km+ road trip in 2week's time. Looking for4ward to that one!!!
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Impster

« Reply #3157 on: August 06, 2018, 03:26:58 PM »
I've decided I don't like the typical bulbous top cases that are out there. So, I picked up a Saddlemen semi-rigid tail bag with some amazon points that were sitting there unused.

It's the "tail bag" option here:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/saddlemen-expandable-sport-luggage

For my daily commute, I couldn't justify the expense and "meh" looks (totally my own opinion) of the various hard top cases for what little I need to carry.

This does work with the panniers installed. The straps go under the seat and rear rack.
----
2016 Concourse 14 (Black), Corbin seat, Murph's risers, T-Rex lowering links and kickstand

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3158 on: August 06, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »
I've decided I don't like the typical bulbous top cases that are out there.

You know, I don't really like them, either.

So, I picked up a Saddlemen semi-rigid tail bag with some amazon points that were sitting there unused.

That is interesting!  Thanks for sharing it.  Unfortunately for me, it wouldn't be an option, since it covers part of the seat and my rear seat is already taken by the Sargent "pod" (which is very small, but nice).  Still a neat idea.

I guess if I were interested in taking non-top-box advantage of the rack for occasional use, I could try to find something even smaller that wouldn't invade the "seat" area.  But I can almost always make it OK with just the two standard panniers.

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #3159 on: August 06, 2018, 11:38:10 PM »
Wished her Happy Birthday.  Eleven years old today and 147,964 reliable and fun-packed  kms later.

No, you cannot have her!
'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.