Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 885738 times)

Offline Eggman

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3020 on: May 31, 2018, 08:38:14 PM »
You guys do some serious mods! Awesome! All I did was install mounting plate for new topcase. I also drilled out the spot welds on the brackets and removed the red reflectors from the rear. (Hate reflectors)
Current Stable:
2018 Concours 14-2005 V-Star 1100 Silverado
1983 CB650 Custom restored-2017 Versys 650
2007 V-Star 650 Silverado

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3021 on: May 31, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »
You guys do some serious mods! Awesome! All I did was install mounting plate for new topcase. I also drilled out the spot welds on the brackets and removed the red reflectors from the rear. (Hate reflectors)

Well, get to work... there is so much to buy and install!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3022 on: June 01, 2018, 06:56:27 AM »
Added small additional tail ight in place of the license plate light that flashes momentarily when I apply the brakes.
Installed new front and rear tire's.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3023 on: June 01, 2018, 03:22:14 PM »
Added small additional tail ight in place of the license plate light that flashes momentarily when I apply the brakes.

That is similar what I had on my previous bike- it was an additional, momentarily flashing brake light integrated into a license plate holder.  I went a step further on the Concours and make my own with an Admore lightbar, which is much larger and brighter.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2505.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3024 on: June 03, 2018, 08:38:30 AM »
I just ordered a new Kawasaki touring seat.

https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/touring-seat/999940500

My wife won't ride with me anymore cuz she can't get comfortable on either the stock seat or the Kaw low gel seat. She keep sliding forward and it hurts her back. I've heard a lot of good things about the 'new' touring seat so we'll give that a try and see what's what.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #3025 on: June 03, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »
New owner of a used Concours here (2011 with 30k miles). Called the ex-owner's mechanic and learned that the 24k mile major service (valve adjustment etc.) was done properly which was a relief.

My Friday started with replacing fork seals as one was leaking when I bought the bike. Noticing the coolant overflow tank was almost empty, I topped it off. Then I started on the brake flush. The clutch slave cylinder is under the lower left fairing so took that off. Found the cause of low coolant. One of the hoses was leaking at the clamp. Tightened the clamp, flushed the clutch, buttoned it back up.

Went for a 250 mile ride to Blood Mountain yesterday with my girlfriend. Bike handles and rides great. Going to keep an eye on the coolant in case there are more leaks.
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3026 on: June 03, 2018, 09:37:46 AM »
New owner

Welcome!

of a used Concours here (2011 with 30k miles).

Mine is a 2011 with 35K miles

Called the ex-owner's mechanic and learned that the 24k mile major service (valve adjustment etc.) was done properly which was a relief.

Yeah, I will get to that some day....

My Friday started with replacing fork seals as one was leaking when I bought the bike.

Might have just needed cleaning.  See  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8987  Too late now, but know for next time.

Noticing the coolant overflow tank was almost empty, I topped it off.

I just did the same thing recently.  I doubt I have a leak, but have never added ANY coolant (nor changed it; on that long list for "some day").  So it probably just needed some.

Then I started on the brake flush. The clutch slave cylinder is under the lower left fairing so took that off.

Yep, I just did that for the first time, recently, too.  It is a PITA where they put the bleeder on the slave cylinder.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3027 on: June 03, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »

My wife won't ride with me anymore cuz she can't get comfortable on either the stock seat or the Kaw low gel seat. She keep sliding forward and it hurts her back. I've heard a lot of good things about the 'new' touring seat so we'll give that a try and see what's what.

I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it (the front part). I'm pretty attached to my Airhawk R, but one un-repairable leak could wreck a trip for me so I'm still looking for a better seat to put under it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3028 on: June 03, 2018, 09:47:52 AM »
snip...

I just did the same thing recently.  I doubt I have a leak, but have never added ANY coolant (nor changed it; on that long list for "some day").  So it probably just needed some.

Soooo...

You're on year 6 or 7 on the same coolant that is supposed to be swapped out after 2 years?    :o

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3029 on: June 03, 2018, 09:49:14 AM »
I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it (the front part). I'm pretty attached to my Airhawk R, but one un-repairable leak could wreck a trip for me so I'm still looking for a better seat to put under it.

I'll give you a full report once I have an opinion.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3030 on: June 03, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »
Soooo...

You're on year 6 or 7 on the same coolant that is supposed to be swapped out after 2 years?    :o

The manual calls for 3 years or 22.5K miles (now at 7 years and 35K miles).  My G37 calls for every 4 years or 60K miles (that is at 9 years and 30K miles now).

But yep.  Might be overdue, but not terribly concerned.  :)

Offline eng943

« Reply #3031 on: June 07, 2018, 06:41:27 AM »
Couple of great mods last week:

MCCruise was installed. Love it! This cures one of my biggest gripes.

Added Madstat bracket. Great mod...this really smoothed the airflow out.

Kawasaki Touring Seat. Thought I'd try this for giggles. Actually think it works better for me than my Laam seat. 

Next mods are reflash, tires, and then Ohlins
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline Rexter

« Reply #3032 on: June 07, 2018, 08:08:03 AM »
Busy week:

Rostra
Eastern Beaver
Pathfinder LED headlights
Switchback signals

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3033 on: June 09, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »

My new seat was delivered yesterday. It was raining yesterday (today too) so I wasn't able to take 'er for a spin.

The seat is very well made and looks great. I installed it with no issues. I sat on the bike in my garage and the seat feels good. It's at least an inch taller, maybe more, than the Kaw low gel seat that I had on it. That's not good for me since I'm 5'5" but I'll adapt.

Offline PhantomBlade

« Reply #3034 on: June 09, 2018, 01:31:40 PM »
It’s not my bike but I did the work for rexster a few posts up. Two more Connie’s to go for Rostra’s one is mine.  ::)
2017 C-14 ABS Blue(Duh it's Faster)Rostra Cruise, Area P Full Exhaust, Pathfinder LED headlights, switch backs, Puig Shield,
LIN3 Aux Brake Lights, Seth Laam seat, Garmin 395lm, Phil’s rack, GiVi 56L Maxia  4, 2” risers, T-Rex tip over protection, HJC R-PHA helmet, Scala Rider Pack Talk Bold, and more to come

Offline katata1100

« Reply #3035 on: June 09, 2018, 06:08:53 PM »
After installing the mcruise, I can’t imagine riding with a throttle lock contraption. Not only does it keep perfect speed, the mpg improvement is much welcomed!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3036 on: June 10, 2018, 07:12:48 AM »

My new seat was delivered yesterday. It was raining yesterday (today too) so I wasn't able to take 'er for a spin.

The seat is very well made and looks great. I installed it with no issues. I sat on the bike in my garage and the seat feels good. It's at least an inch taller, maybe more, than the Kaw low gel seat that I had on it. That's not good for me since I'm 5'5" but I'll adapt.

The weather cleared yesterday afternoon so I was able to get out for a ride and try out the new seat with my wife.

Goof news! She loves it! "100% better than either of my other seats" she said.

We rode for two hours or so and no pain for either of us. The seat soaks up the jarring from bumps in the road that the old seats transferred to our backs and neither one of us slid at all. On both of my other seats I was always having to adjust my position because of sliding towards the tank, no longer. It's not just the material that the cover is made from either. The geometry of the seats is different than the others.

The only negatives for me is that the seat is taller. Two issues with that. The first is that since I'm 5'5" I'm tip toeing at stops. The second is since I'm sitting higher that means that I'm leaning forward a bit more and that puts more pressure on my hands and arms. Other than that I'm happy and I'll deal with those issues.

I almost forgot to mention...

I did a lot of shopping for this seat, both online and local dealerships. No one would come down from the MSRP of $535. Not even the dealer where I bought my bike back in 2009 (they said that normally they would offer a discount to former customers but since it's been so long since I bought anything from them they couldn't do it. I told him that it's going to be a long time before I buy anything from them in the future too). No local dealers had the seat in stock either. Amazon has it but at $535.

I ended up buying it from Partzilla for $414 with free shipping.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/99994-0500
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:10:42 AM by Conrad »

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3037 on: June 14, 2018, 04:28:40 AM »
Been a busy couple months for me......

New fork seals and fluid change.
CCS Cruise Control Installed.
Replaced all coolant hoses, o rings and thermostat. (obviously a flush with that)
Switch Back LED front turn signals.
R&G Racing frame sliders installed.
Auxbean LED head lights.
Wireless phone charger.
Steve's  Shoodaben Engineering Mountain Runner ECU Flash
Replaced fuel filter pick up sock.
Oil change in final drive
Engine oil change and filter
New air filter.
Checked TB Sync
Cleaned and lubed the windshield mechanism and cables.
New Tires F&R (T30s)
Bleed F&R brakes
Bleed clutch slave
Bought new brake pads but will wait a little longer on those.

Think that's it  :P

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3038 on: June 14, 2018, 05:59:20 AM »
Think that's it  :P

Wow!  It is almost like a different bike now :)

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3039 on: June 14, 2018, 07:25:52 AM »
Wow!  It is almost like a different bike now :)
No doubt, that ECU flash is INCREDIBLE!