Author Topic: Ancestry  (Read 15915 times)

Offline Conrad

Ancestry
« on: August 31, 2016, 05:05:59 AM »
My wife subscribed to Ancestry.com and has been tracing her ancestry for a couple of months.

We both even sent in our DNA but the results aren't available yet.

She's traced her ancestors back 10 generations so far. It seems that she's related to Ellis Albert Swearengen (anyone watch Deadwood?).

She has found out a LOT of interesting info on her family. She'll work on mine once she gets hers completed. Some of her family may have been on the Mayflower.

Mine will be a bit more difficult since my biological father ran out on my mom when he found out that she was pregnant. I don't know anything about him other than his name. I'm looking forward to the info that comes back with my DNA profile. I'm not looking to find the asshole but I would like to know something about that side of my family.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:41:32 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 05:37:56 AM »
I've been using it for awhile and have traced my father's side back to the 1600's in England.  Did the DNA thing (and now the NSA has everything they need) and the results are GB 46% (makes sense as Mom was full on English), Western European 26%, Ireland 15%, Scandinavia 6%, and trace amounts from Finland/Northwest Russia, Italy/Greece, and the Iberian Peninsula, with just a scoche of Pacific Islander (have no clue how that popped in.

Most of the DNA results make sense to me as the Vikings and Western Europe invaded England at some point in it's history.

It also put to bed the rumors in my family of native American Indian liaisons in the past as there isn't one iota of DNA that supports that.  Tried to tell other family members about that but they wouldn't believe the science.

Based on what I found out in Ancestry I was able to find my Great Great Grandfathers tombstone in Tennessee.  My family 'originated' in Bertie county NC and then moved westward into Van Buren County in TN.

Sorry about that C, went into your post and modified it by mistake.   :doh: :nuts:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 05:46:53 AM »
I'm American :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 06:46:40 AM »
Right...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 07:25:58 AM »
I've been using it for awhile and have traced my father's side back to the 1600's in England.  Did the DNA thing (and now the NSA has everything they need) and the results are GB 46% (makes sense as Mom was full on English), Western European 26%, Ireland 15%, Scandinavia 6%, and trace amounts from Finland/Northwest Russia, Italy/Greece, and the Iberian Peninsula, with just a scoche of Pacific Islander (have no clue how that popped in.

Most of the DNA results make sense to me as the Vikings and Western Europe invaded England at some point in it's history.

It also put to bed the rumors in my family of native American Indian liaisons in the past as there isn't one iota of DNA that supports that.  Tried to tell other family members about that but they wouldn't believe the science.

Based on what I found out in Ancestry I was able to find my Great Great Grandfathers tombstone in Tennessee.  My family 'originated' in Bertie county NC and then moved westward into Van Buren County in TN.

Sorry about that C, went into your post and modified it by mistake.   :doh: :nuts:

Interesting. My sis had the fam do them and has been tracing . FOund similar results back to the 15 and 1600s in England, Germany, Swiss and France. Interesting findings but also fun to go to the gravesites here in Indiana 6 gens back. Had to be some of the first guys to break the Treaty of Greenville and encroach on Native soil. .  Lots of connections to the past and historical figures I would have never imagined we were related to....
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 11:05:16 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm 6 generations out of the primordial ooze...
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 03:30:18 AM »
Might be close since the world is only 5000 years old.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 05:03:55 AM »
My DNA results are in!

Europe  100% 

Great Britain 41%
Scandinavia 27%
Europe East 18%
Europe West 9%
Trace Regions 5%
Italy/Greece 2%
European Jewish 2%
Iberian Peninsula < 1%

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 05:26:32 AM »
I'm now seeing links to my father's family. This is going to be interesting...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 04:31:17 AM »
When you start digging you don't know what will turn up and when it's unearthed it's very difficult to bury it again.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 04:41:48 AM »
When you start digging you don't know what will turn up and when it's unearthed it's very difficult to bury it again.

Yeah, that's one of the things that worries me about all of this...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 05:15:15 AM »
Yeah, I had something interesting come up about my dad during WWII and my uncle wanted to suppress the information so I told everyone.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 05:38:14 AM »
Yeah, I had something interesting come up about my dad during WWII and my uncle wanted to suppress the information so I told everyone.

Not everyone...    ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 07:35:15 AM »

As far as ancestry?  As an American, what could possibly matter about one's ancestry?  I believe one's ancestry genetics are what they are, it shouldn't define who one is.  I can see where it could be entertaining, or even possibly have medical use in certain remote cases.  But I can't think of why it would be serious enough to be worried about it., much less in denial about something or wanting to bury it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 09:42:27 AM »
I'm not talking about DNA research as far as digging something up....it's the process of learning about your ancestors several generations back where you find the interesting information.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 10:41:42 AM »
My DNA results are in!
Trace Regions 5%
I always thought there was a touch of sketchiness about you C.   ;) :D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 05:47:00 AM »
I always thought there was a touch of sketchiness about you C.   ;) :D

That's what my wife said! It's part of my allure don't ya know?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 05:50:52 AM »
As far as ancestry?  As an American, what could possibly matter about one's ancestry?  I believe one's ancestry genetics are what they are, it shouldn't define who one is.  I can see where it could be entertaining, or even possibly have medical use in certain remote cases.  But I can't think of why it would be serious enough to be worried about it., much less in denial about something or wanting to bury it.

It's easy to imagine digging up something in your past that you'd perhaps rather not know. What if one of your ancestors was a serial killer or a child molester?

Or worse, what if you found out that you are related to Donald Trump?   :o 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 07:41:52 AM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2016, 09:15:17 AM »
It's easy to imagine digging up something in your past that you'd perhaps rather not know. What if one of your ancestors was a serial killer or a child molester?

Yeah, I suppose.  But that is more about exact people.  I was thinking more about what you are getting with the DNA thing- which is just what geographical areas your ancestors were from.... I don't see how that would matter.

Or worse, what if you found out that you are related to Donald Trump?   :o

Yeesh... I suppose it could be worse- could be the Clintons.