Author Topic: Aircraft we like..  (Read 244263 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Aircraft we like..
« Reply #440 on: December 15, 2014, 01:05:58 PM »
'The other white meat'

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #441 on: December 16, 2014, 06:35:05 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #442 on: December 16, 2014, 06:39:34 AM »
Got to wonder what this mission was about.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #443 on: December 16, 2014, 03:02:59 PM »
Got to wonder what this mission was about.

Off the top of my head, I'd guess it involves the Big Dipper (the Dippers are also known as the Great Bear and Little Bear).  That being said, yeah there could be multiple meanings there...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #444 on: December 16, 2014, 03:06:40 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #445 on: December 16, 2014, 04:51:29 PM »
A magnificent beastie indeed.. :salute:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #448 on: December 17, 2014, 04:54:58 PM »

A tribute to all that it never performed its design objective in anger.

How old is the oldest flying example ?

......or by accident.... :o.... http://www.history.com/news/document-reveals-1961-nuclear-close-call-over-north-carolina

On January 23, 1961, a B-52 Stratofortress bomber patrolled the night skies over the Atlantic Ocean. It was three days after the presidential inauguration of John F. Kennedy, and with the Cold War in a full freeze, American bombers such as this one carrying a pair of 3.8-megaton Mark 39 hydrogen bombs were kept airborne at all times to defend the country. Many hours had passed since the B-52 took off from Seymour Johnson Air Force Base near Goldsboro, North Carolina, when something suddenly went wrong on the routine Strategic Air Command training mission.

Fuel started to gush out of a leak in the plane. Nineteen tons of fuel were lost in just two minutes. As the pilot attempted to limp back to Goldsboro, the right wing suddenly sheered from the plane. The bomber plunged into a tailspin and began to break up. Six of the eight crewmen ejected. As the plane spiraled to earth, the bombs, each of which were 260 times more powerful than the nuclear weapon dropped on Hiroshima, broke loose and plunged to the ground as well. Five of the men who were ejected parachuted to safety; the other three crew members were killed in the crash.

When responders arrived on the crash scene 15 miles from Goldsboro, they discovered one of the nuclear weapons had landed in a field with its deployed parachute tangled in the branches of a tree. The second bomb had anything but a soft landing. It became entombed after striking the ground at nearly 700 miles per hour

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #449 on: December 17, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-KIAsuoMAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qqfsQGYus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSbPqin3L6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSQAZEp3PA

A tribute to all that it never performed its design objective in anger.

How old is the oldest flying example ?

Did a quick Google Search.  Balls-8 (a NB-52B used to carry test aircraft by NASA) was retired a bit ago.  So the only B-52's left still in service are all 'H' models, built between May 1961 and October 1962.  A recent count mentioned that 94 are still in service (not sure if we sustained any B-52 losses since 2012).
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #450 on: December 18, 2014, 04:28:29 AM »
Only three active bomb wings remain, Minot and Barksdale.   Only two B-1 bomb wings remain, Rapid City and Dyess.  The 52's of Minot are temporarily at Rapid City while the runway's are being refurbished..at least they were last time I checked.

And while the 52 hasn't been used in nuclear anger, they've certainly been used in dropping conventional bomb loads in Vietnam and other locations.  They are just about the perfect sky borne weapons platform.

Latest current count of B-52s are 76 (as in the trombones)
B-1 - 66
B-2 - 20

Largest number of USAF aircraft of the same type is the F-16 at  a whopping 1023.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:29:58 AM by VirginiaJim »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #452 on: December 19, 2014, 06:50:11 AM »
I have go to go to Dayton!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #453 on: December 19, 2014, 11:31:09 AM »
I go every year.  It's the 8th wonder of the world.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #454 on: December 19, 2014, 11:45:57 AM »
Oldest Flying Jet Returns to U.S.

AVwebFlash

December 19, 2014

An F-86A Sabre built in 1948 is the world's oldest flying jet and recently arrived back in the United States after several decades in Europe, EAA reported this week.

The airplane, which EAA hopes will fly next summer at AirVenture, is the only surviving "A" model. Its service history includes Strategic Air Command, Air Defense Command, and the California Air National Guard. It flew in defense of the Los Alamos nuclear research facility with the 94th Fighter Squadron of the 1st Fighter Group.

The Sabre was later transferred to a technical college in Fresno, California and then sold to a local scrap dealer, where it was bought by Ben Hall of the Sabre Pilots Association in 1970. The jet was restored and flew again in 1974.

The airplane went to the U.K. in 1990 and spent 22 years flying on the European airshow circuit, operated by the Golden Apple Trust. Dr. John Swartz, of Afton, Oklahoma, an EAA member, recently acquired the aircraft and had it shipped to Heritage Aero, in Rockford, Illinois. The airplane will be reassembled and is expected to be flying by March, with a goal to be fully FAA certified in time to fly before the crowds at Oshkosh in July.

A lengthy history of the jet can be found online here (http://tinyurl.com/kx8yusf) and a 3-D tour of an F-86A cockpit is posted online here (http://tinyurl.com/l29zwh3). The video was produced as a farewell to the jet from the folks at Golden Apple Trust.

Video (runs 6:42):

http://youtu.be/UsphTktf9Fg  [/color][/font]

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #455 on: December 19, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »
X-15 jettison's ventral fin in landing at Edwards...

http://youtu.be/OFmfFMoUQZQ?list=UUAdN9s9MrsX0BVdz4XZAhaA

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #456 on: December 19, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »

AVwebFlash

December 19, 2014

An F-86A Sabre built in 1948 is the world's oldest flying jet and recently arrived back in the United States after several decades in Europe, EAA reported this week. <snip

Only 45 years earlier, the Wright Bros were playing on the beach. Amazing!

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #457 on: December 19, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »

AVwebFlash

December 19, 2014

An F-86A Sabre built in 1948 is the world's oldest flying jet and recently arrived back in the United States after several decades in Europe, EAA reported this week.

The airplane, which EAA hopes will fly next summer at AirVenture, is the only surviving "A" model. Its service history includes Strategic Air Command, Air Defense Command, and the California Air National Guard. It flew in defense of the Los Alamos nuclear research facility with the 94th Fighter Squadron of the 1st Fighter Group.

The Sabre was later transferred to a technical college in Fresno, California and then sold to a local scrap dealer, where it was bought by Ben Hall of the Sabre Pilots Association in 1970. The jet was restored and flew again in 1974.

The airplane went to the U.K. in 1990 and spent 22 years flying on the European airshow circuit, operated by the Golden Apple Trust. Dr. John Swartz, of Afton, Oklahoma, an EAA member, recently acquired the aircraft and had it shipped to Heritage Aero, in Rockford, Illinois. The airplane will be reassembled and is expected to be flying by March, with a goal to be fully FAA certified in time to fly before the crowds at Oshkosh in July.

A lengthy history of the jet can be found online here (http://tinyurl.com/kx8yusf) and a 3-D tour of an F-86A cockpit is posted online here (http://tinyurl.com/l29zwh3). The video was produced as a farewell to the jet from the folks at Golden Apple Trust.

Video (runs 6:42):

http://youtu.be/UsphTktf9Fg  [/color][/font]

Had the pleasure and privilege to see and hear this old war bird at Duxford on a mid week visit a few years ago doing its display routine in front of the man who signed it off as safe to perform. 

Had a good long chat with that man as we both stood by an empty runway the smell and sound of that bird filling ear and nostril ....................

You forget the slow acceleration and long take off roll compared with the modern toys.............and the volume would put a Motorhead concert into the pussy zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-smBLCGbM

Also found this and thought you might enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQjdNK6lhdM

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #458 on: December 21, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »
OK.......................The question is .............................name that plane?

Jim got it after 3 photo's

Here's the first...................more to follow when you need more clues

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #459 on: December 21, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »
Rules...this can be any aircraft from WWII to current inventory of any country...