Author Topic: what's the little black plastic thingy on the side of my helmet visor  (Read 5984 times)

Offline mellow yellow

Hello all, have been wearing scorpion helmets for past few years. decided to try a Bell helmet, since I heard that they had a good rep. as per the title of this post. don't know what it's for. my Scorpion helmets didn't have it. it's small on the bottom of the visor on the side. looks like two little screws are holding it onto the visor. Thanks

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
Re: what's the little black plastic thingy on the side of my helmet visor
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:01:04 PM »
Could you possibly post a photo for identification?
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline O.C.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 02:13:13 AM »
Which model Bell helmet....If it's on the left side it might be for raising and lowering the visor
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »
I think some Bell helmets come with a visor lock lever that utilizes the "little black plastic thingy" to lock the visor in the down position (why?: I don't know, perhaps it makes it tighter to prevent water incursion and/or wind noise? Safety?).
 It appears to only be found on Bell's "Click Release Shields" I believe the lock locking lever has 3 positions Open, locked, and cracked.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:02:30 PM by fartymarty »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 03:27:44 PM »
It appears to only be found on Bell's "Click Release Shields" I believe the lock has 3 positions Open, locked, and cracked.

I believe I have all three functions on my Scorpions and Shoei, but nothing "special" or extra on the shields.  Not sure why they find they need the black thingy.  "hmmm"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 03:53:56 PM »
I believe I have all three functions on my Scorpions and Shoei, but nothing "special" or extra on the shields.  Not sure why they find they need the black thingy.  "hmmm"

Well, to be clear I was referring to the lever position not the visor position. Push the lever back and it engages the black thingy so that the visor won't open even with a push on the tab. Push the lever forward and it unlocks the visor, and push it forward a little more and it cracks open the visor just a bit. Further opening must be done with a upward push on the visor tab. I have a Nolan so I'm just guessing here, but a lever lock and an adjustable notching system are not the same thing. I wasn't aware of any locking visors on Shoei helmets, just a push with a thumb and a Shoei visor goes up into various positions, right?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »
I wasn't aware of any locking visors on Shoei helmets, just a push with a thumb and a Shoei visor goes up into various positions, right?

You might be right about the Shoei- I am not sure because I am not using the Shoei due to the pain issues.  The Scorpion, however, absolutely can...  I have locked it accidentally several times; the control lever is lock/unlock/crack.  Just as you described.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 07:42:29 AM »
I think some Bell helmets come with a visor lock lever that utilizes the "little black plastic thingy" to lock the visor in the down position (why?: I don't know, perhaps it makes it tighter to prevent water incursion and/or wind noise? Safety?).
 It appears to only be found on Bell's "Click Release Shields" I believe the lock locking lever has 3 positions Open, locked, and cracked.

looks like what you have on the side of your pic. but mines didn't come with the pivoting lever. it's a Bell qualifier helmet. here's a pic.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 09:48:46 AM »
looks like what you have on the side of your pic. but mines didn't come with the pivoting lever. it's a Bell qualifier helmet. here's a pic.

Maybe your particular helmet model doesn't have the lock/vent lever feature, but the shield does, so it is just not used.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 02:45:19 PM »
All my Scorpions had the three lever positioning.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 03:00:04 PM »
Unrelated to your original question, and it looks as if it's been answered. I'd like to know how You like the Bell as compared to a Scorpion. My recent crash, I was wearing the Scorpion EXO 1000, but it's not made anymore. So, I'm thinking about the new Bell Star MIPS, with a transitions face shield. Do You like Your Bell?
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 07:23:59 PM »
Unrelated to your original question, and it looks as if it's been answered. I'd like to know how You like the Bell as compared to a Scorpion. My recent crash, I was wearing the Scorpion EXO 1000, but it's not made anymore. So, I'm thinking about the new Bell Star MIPS, with a transitions face shield. Do You like Your Bell?
well, it's definitely lighter than my scorpion exo-400 it's got the european ece or whatever rating and it has spacing around the ears so that you can wear ear buds. the scorpion shield I believe has better anti-fog  than the bell. I noticed that the helmet is just 2 months old and the padding where the chin strap is attached is already fraying. the qualifier model that I have is on the entry level of helmets. maybe this could be the reason. but so is my exo400. but I've had it for a few years already and there's no fraying in that area. luckily, Bell has a generous warranty. I called and they'll be shipping me a new helmet. I might try a HJC, since that was the brand I started with when I began riding. Scorpions are getting a bit too pricey. I'm semi-retired, so gotta be a little frugal.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »
well, it's definitely lighter than my scorpion exo-400 it's got the european ece or whatever rating and it has spacing around the ears so that you can wear ear buds. the scorpion shield I believe has better anti-fog  than the bell. I noticed that the helmet is just 2 months old and the padding where the chin strap is attached is already fraying. the qualifier model that I have is on the entry level of helmets. maybe this could be the reason. but so is my exo400. but I've had it for a few years already and there's no fraying in that area. luckily, Bell has a generous warranty. I called and they'll be shipping me a new helmet. I might try a HJC, since that was the brand I started with when I began riding. Scorpions are getting a bit too pricey. I'm semi-retired, so gotta be a little frugal.
Good info. Thanks so much. Happy riding.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 09:47:12 PM »
I use mine in cold weather riding to keep the inside of the shield from fogging up. It lets in just enough air to flush the moisture from my breath but not put the freeze on my face. (Living at 8,600' makes this a really nice feature.)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 01:57:01 AM »
My Shoei RF1000 has a visor lock lever on the left side that also acts to crack the visor a little at the bottom for anti-fogging, perhaps the Bell design is the same.  You could Google that.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/shoei-rf-1000-review/

Scroll down to the section under "Faceshield".
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline enumclaw

• The universe has a plan
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 10:37:58 AM »
I use mine in cold weather riding to keep the inside of the shield from fogging up................................makes this a really nice feature.)

Exactly the purpose.
Rob

DL650: KLR250: C10