Author Topic: New oil cooler for 1000 Gtr/c10  (Read 974 times)

Offline jacksdad

New oil cooler for 1000 Gtr/c10
« on: August 05, 2021, 08:22:58 AM »
Hi, Mike from England again. I'm pleased to say my ever-lasting bike rebuild/restoration is just about complete....until I found the oil cooler is leaking.
This is the third used part as well, I guess they are gettong on in age  :(
So now I'm thinking of buying a new aftermarket cooler and hoses, or finding one from a later model bike that will fit.
Can anyone tell me the size of the banjo bolts? The parts list just says 14 x 28.5 which I assume is M14, but what pitch? I'm looking at sourcing an off the shelf kit from a tuning parts shop, OR: finding a good used part from another model?
Has anyone any ideas as to the best new, or used alternative?
I'm not fitting the fairing lowers so I can fit a slightly larger cooler whilst I'm at it, if I can find one!
Thanks for your help guys,
Mike

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: New oil cooler for 1000 Gtr/c10
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 02:21:33 AM »
Hi Mike,
Your best bet is to count 10 threads and measure them with a ruler and divide by 10.
You can also check the bolt diameter with a ruler or vernier caliper.
M14 is normally 1.5 or 1.25 mm pitch.

If you do go for an aftermarket oil cooler, try to get one that holds approx. the same volume of oil.
If you can fabricate the brackets, you could get a wider, shorter one.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 09:04:10 AM »
Hi, thanks for the reply: I can measure the threads with the gauge tool, the problem is firms like Mocal use different measurements, like J10, AN10, 1/2" BSP and more.
I've now seen a kit for £99 that may fit, I'll contact Mocal and ask them if they do hoses with their connector for the cooler and banjo fittings for the engine end.
Been looking for a used cooler but not getting anywhere, they have all corroded away at the cooler/hose joints, as they get blasted by salty ice every winter!  :censored:

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 04:30:56 PM »
None of those sizes are compatible with M14 banjo bolts.
Yes, all the used oil coolers are shot, and new they are silly money.
I don't know if any from the USA can be had for a decent price.
Large parts of the USA don't salt their roads.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 04:57:55 PM »
Have you considered bypassing it and doing without?
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 08:21:01 PM »
I did think of bypassing it, it's not very big after all!
Mocal do a few that will fit, they supply in M14 female, plus they do various adaptors should I find a used or Chinese cooler: the latter being a quarter price of new Mocal!
I'm going to have a think, I want to keep the option of refitting the lower fairing so need to ensure any modifications allow this.
The standard cooler holds about 300 ml oil, not much, a Mocal will double that so may help cooling 😁

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 07:38:08 AM »
few years ago i ran into the same situation regarding an oil cooler with this exact issue on another bike. turns out the cheap chinese coolers always did just as good a job as the pricier ones.  TO THE POINT that comparing a $35 cooler to a the more expensive 'US' or 'Japanese' coolers showed they were actually the exact same part. I'm not sure if that's the case here, but i would consider going with the adapters and using the cheaper cooler, then you can always swap out to a smaller one later and still be at (according to what you are saying)  1/2 the price of the mocal one, in theory.  whichever one you don't end up with in the long term can then be sold and recoup some cost. just my .02

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...