Author Topic: Asthma  (Read 2351 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Asthma
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 09:17:22 AM »
Maxtog and Boomer. I don't need a doctor if I have you guys.

I was reading about Xolair on an asthma forum and wanted to see if you took it. That guy had great success but he did have triggered asthma. Of course any meds I want will all have to go through my doc but it helps to be educated before asking.

After spending a couple of months on these forums I now have an associates degree in asthma therapy! But none really define my problem. Most of you have triggers. I do not. Mine is random. Many on covid long haul forums talk about this un-triggered asthma like lung behavior. Their docs are at a loss too and are chalking it off to an autoimmune like disease or non-allergic asthma which is known to happen with other respiratory illnesses (I didn't know that). These however are too broad and catch all buckets.

I wouldn't mind if I had a trigger at least I would know what to watch out for. Otherwise it is just absurd. I could choke and die in my sleep. WTF.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I just had a minor attack this morning. 6 inhalation of the inhaler allevioated it. I am working from home, and I didn't do anything different from last morning or the morning before that or before that. And my desk was clean with no papers, dust or lint. This is fucking absurd. How do you live with asthma ?

Xolair is extremely expensive and can be somewhat risky (it can suppress the body's ability to fight cancer).  It is also only meant for those with not well-controlled asthma on more traditional treatments.  So no, I have no experience with it.  Also, I am not sure it will be helpful in primarily inflammation cases (presumably what you are dealing with) since it targets allergy-induced asthma (IgE related).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 05:33:06 PM »
How do you live with asthma ?

Well, classic asthma doesn't present like what you describe.  It is usually triggered by known and specific things, these three being the most common:

1) Allergens (usually known ones, and typically environmental)
2) Breathing irregularities (like extended hard laughing, sudden extreme exertion, or coughing)
3) Radical temperature changes

So those things are usually easily avoided, and if triggered, usually quickly resolved by using albuterol and resting until it passes.  There is also usually "notice" that it is starting to happen.  I don't know what it is like to NOT have asthma, since I have had it my whole life.  And I am glad mine is well-controlled.  For those with not-well-controlled, the symptoms can come on more quickly and/or are harder to resolve and/or take longer to resolve.  In some cases, the allergen is unknown or can't be avoided, and more aggressive and continuous treatment has to be taken.

I have other health conditions that are far more irritating and problematic that happened later in life.  So to me, being asthmatic is not a big deal.  It only becomes a major issue if it complicates some type of OTHER respiratory issue- like being sick with pneumonia (had that only once, thank god), or a respiratory flu/cold.  In those cases, the infection can trigger an asthma reaction that can't be easily resolved without resorting to more powerful measures (like fluticasone and salmeterol and similar).  Fortunately, I very rarely get sick.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 08:47:54 AM »
Dads triggers are pretty everyday items and are easy to avoid.
Most other asthmatics I know of are similar.
It sounds to me like something else is going on with you.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/lung-respiratory/asthma/know-when-you-have-asthma/
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 09:10:52 AM »
I agree with Boomer, it could be Covid related...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ginzburg

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2021, 12:46:26 PM »
You mention your running is affected. And also after eating. This makes me think it could be more related to anemia.

My armchair theory of one possibly overlooked outcome of covid is based on the increased oxidative stress load depleting antioxidant levels. Methyl donors (folate, vitamin B12, and choline, etc.)  have been observed to be associated with asthma. It has also only recently been discovered that those also act as antioxidants. Other viruses have been known to deplete B12 specifically. These are also essential nutrients to produce red blood cells and hence could cause anemia following depletion.

I would consider the Colgan blood boosting formula or something like that. It more mentions B6 and low B6 may be associated with asthma.

https://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/advice_frank04.html

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2021, 09:57:21 PM »
Thank you ginzburg. I will ask my doc to see if she had done full panel blood tests on vits and minerals. They did take a bunch of blood in Jan to do a barrage of tests. I was deficient in vit D, but that was all. Do they normally do B12 tests for guys? I always hear women complaining about B12.

Strangely enough I have recently reduced my use of Albuterol substantially and I am maintaining well on Advair. Dumb.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2021, 10:14:40 PM »
Maxtog, did you get any of the pneumonia shots?

My doc gave me the Pneumovax 23 shot due to the irregularities in my lungs... to protect me from other infections.

It only becomes a major issue if it complicates some type of OTHER respiratory issue- like being sick with pneumonia (had that only once, thank god), or a respiratory flu/cold.  In those cases, the infection can trigger an asthma reaction that can't be easily resolved without resorting to more powerful measures (like fluticasone and salmeterol and similar).  Fortunately, I very rarely get sick.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2021, 07:24:25 AM »
Maxtog, did you get any of the pneumonia shots?

I definitely wouldn't want to be given pneumonia via injection  :)   But, seriously, I know you mean pneumonia vaccine... and no, I have never had a pneumonia vaccine injection.   It was never offered or suggested to me, but I would seriously consider it, if it were.

My doc gave me the Pneumovax 23 shot due to the irregularities in my lungs... to protect me from other infections.

Probably prudent.  Pneumonia vaccines are not much talked about, but are often offered to the elderly (over 65), and those with high risk factors for serious pulmonary complications.  There are two, PCV13 and PPSV23, you received the more potent of the two.  Either will protect for at least 5 years.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2021, 08:18:43 AM »
I'm eligible for the pneumonia vaccine.  Planning on getting that soon.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2021, 01:10:35 PM »
You definitely should. I didn't have any reaction at all.

Anything to keep your lungs healthy. Very underrated. Pneumonia is a huge problem as one ages. I remember my mom got the vax years back. Didn't think much of it. I am still decades away from the age requirement for this vax but was given one last year. Ask your doc about getting both. And there is a new one too. There are time requirements between the 13, 20, and 23 which I will explain below.

I'm eligible for the pneumonia vaccine.  Planning on getting that soon.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2021, 01:31:31 PM »
You should ask your doc for it. Fresh out of the hospital, my doc told me to come in after a month to get a shot. She said it was a for my lungs, and she had me at lungs. No further explanations needed. I got it. She gave me the 23 variant. I learned from speaking to my friend who is getting his 23 today that there were other vaccine variants  as well. He did say there was a new 20 variant and the old 13 that can also be given. There is usually a mandatory one year wait time needed between the 13 and 23. I will talk to the doc about getting the 13 and 20 if they are beneficial. Don't know if the 20 variant is 13+(7 new) or entirely new. I'll research this some more.

I tell you what, if anyone has ever gone to the hospital drowning in their own lungs and had to have sh!t sucked out of their lungs with 2ft tubes down their throats, and 2x 10" needles stabbed right into both lung lobes all while awake... you will never be as cavalier about any respiratory disease ever again. And this from a young, healthy, lifelong runner who had no worries about health whatsoever. And frankly didn't worry that much about covid either.

Get the pneumonia vax guys. Especially when there is a disease attacking the lungs. We should all give our lungs a little more care during times like this. I have a new found love for my lungs. I wish I had been better acquainted with them decades ago.

I definitely wouldn't want to be given pneumonia via injection  :)   But, seriously, I know you mean pneumonia vaccine... and no, I have never had a pneumonia vaccine injection.   It was never offered or suggested to me, but I would seriously consider it, if it were.

Probably prudent.  Pneumonia vaccines are not much talked about, but are often offered to the elderly (over 65), and those with high risk factors for serious pulmonary complications.  There are two, PCV13 and PPSV23, you received the more potent of the two.  Either will protect for at least 5 years.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2021, 03:54:11 PM »
I had pneumonia only once in my life.  I don't remember my exact age, but it was school-aged.  Perhaps somewhere between 10 and 14.  Anyway, I DO remember what it felt like.  Every breath was pain, a stabbing in my left side.  It was very much not fun. Wasn't hospitalized, just powerful antibiotics and it took quite a while to overcome.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2021, 04:51:09 PM »
I am glad you told me they only last 5 years. Thank you. Didn't know about that. I assumed they lasted many years like the dtap or hep vaccines.

I will be putting that on my calendar. No more avoidable cardiopulmonary diseases. This sh!t is not going to happen over a $10 pharmacy copay vaccine. F*ck that.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2021, 09:23:23 PM »
It could last longer.  Depends on your immune system.

Next thing I need to look into is shingles.  My Mom got it twice now, and by her reports, very non-fun both times.  They lowered the recommended vaccination age for that not long ago.

There are no limits to the things out to get us.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2021, 10:45:42 PM »
My mom got 2 kinds of shingles vax. The old kind and the new kind. They gave her the old one many years ago. I don't remember if it bothered her then.

Her doc gave her the new kind soon after it came out a few years back. It was a 2 shot series and it was not easy. She had a fever and terrible aches and pains. It subsided within 5 days though. Still better than getting the shingles.

If your mom got the old kind first, that may be why she had a hard time with the new one. The new shingles vax likely elicited a stronger response due to the old vax primed in her. Maybe.

It could last longer.  Depends on your immune system.

Next thing I need to look into is shingles.  My Mom got it twice now, and by her reports, very non-fun both times.  They lowered the recommended vaccination age for that not long ago.

There are no limits to the things out to get us.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2021, 05:29:55 AM »
Yes, I have heard it is a rough series, so I guess one should plan accordingly.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2021, 02:12:00 PM »
Well maxtog, I am sure you know this. But CDC has a great pamphlet on regular vaccine schedules.

If anyone is interested...https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/adult-combined-schedule.pdf