Author Topic: Cant get key to turn  (Read 33293 times)

Offline Kurt

Cant get key to turn
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:12:49 PM »
Im trying to leave my campsite to get some supplies and my bikes key thing wont turn to the on position. I have the fob in my pocket and when i press down nothing happens. And i cant turn the key thing to the right. The red light flashes.

What's going on and how can i start It?

Flathead

Re: Cant get key to turn
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:49:13 PM »
Sounds like the battery in the FOB is dead... If you have the spare fob you can hold it up against the back side of the ignition switch and press the stove knob down to see if that is recognized.

Offline Kurt

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:59:42 PM »
Sounds like the battery in the FOB is dead... If you have the spare fob you can hold it up against the back side of the ignition switch and press the stove knob down to see if that is recognized.

I do not have the spare fob with me. I am in San Quentin, Mexico and there is not much motorcycle support here. What size batteries does the fob need? I can try to track some down.

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 12:53:19 AM »
Hi Kurt, from the manual:

If the battery of the FOB is discharged, key knob cannot be operated.  Remove the emergancy ignition key from the FOB and fit the hollow of the FOB on the projection of the ignition switch, then key knob can be operated after about 2 seconds passed when key knob is pushed

Pic attached from the manual

Battery is also CR2025

Hope this helps!!!
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 04:31:17 AM »
It could be a battery.  It could also be the switch is stuck.  Tap it a bit on the left side of the housing whilst trying to move the switch up and down and side to side.  Happened to me last night but I got it going again.  Typically the fob will send a message to the bike stating the battery is low.  It usually just doesn't fail immediately.  If it was working the day before it could be the sticking switch rather than the battery in the fob.  Course it could be the main battery as well.  We've seen them do the same thing.  Check those connections if you have a tool kit with you.  By the way, the fob battery can be found just about anywhere.  It's very common.  Walmart, drugstores, etc...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:04:49 AM »
Let us know if and how you got it fixed

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Summit670

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:25:56 AM »
Thinking about buying a c-14.

Does the FOB/key work if the bike battery is dead?
Will the FOB/key work if the FOB battery is dead or will it only possibly work if the battery is low and you place the hollow of fob over the projection?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:29:23 AM »
When I changed fob batteries out, I tried the procedure outlined by Glenn with no battery in a fob. It works.

If the bike battery is dead, it should be charged before you get anything.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:35:42 AM »
Thinking about buying a c-14.

Does the FOB/key work if the bike battery is dead?
Will the FOB/key work if the FOB battery is dead or will it only possibly work if the battery is low and you place the hollow of fob over the projection?

As Tim said above, if the bike's battery is dead, you get nothing and nothing works.

If the fob battery is stone cold dead, you can still start the bike. As outlined above, remove the key from the fob and press the hollow area to the boss above the ignition key on the bike. You should now be able to press the stove knob key down and start the bike.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
Im trying to leave my campsite to get some supplies and my bikes key thing wont turn to the on position. I have the fob in my pocket and when i press down nothing happens. And i cant turn the key thing to the right. The red light flashes.

What's going on and how can i start It?

Just out of curiosity, what model year is your C14?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
someone with better knowledge may be able to better explain disconnecting the plug under the left side dash.

Anyone seen Brian around lately?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 12:02:39 PM »
He was here the other day.  He doesn't pop in as much as he used to...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »
I am in San Quentin, Mexico and there is not much motorcycle support here.

Kurt?

You OK, buddy?  Did it start?
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »
Yep, still around but have been busy lately on things unrelated to motorcycles.... and one thing related to motorcycles. :-)  I have a very limited number of KiPass activation switch bypass harnesses and will be putting them up for sale shortly. Not as elegant as a K-rock perhaps but a lot faster and easier.

And regarding this problem, you guys have already said what I would have said- try the dead fob battery method, and if that does not work, check the battery for voltage.

Brian

Anyone seen Brian around lately?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Kurt

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »
Kurt?

You OK, buddy?  Did it start?

No luck. I tried the dead battery in fob suggestions with no results. Anyhow, this bike is a 2011 and just a few months old. I couldn't imagine the fob battery being out.

Today I tracked down a voltmeter and the battery voltage measured 12.6 volts. So seems that the battery is ok.

I am trying to figure out towing options. Nearest dealer is probably 350-400 miles away in San Diego. I dont think theres a dealer in Ensenada.

What a pain in the butt. Any other suggestions before I spend a few thousand on towing (!)?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »
Did you try the "K-rock" trick yet?

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
On the image I posted showing how the FOB works, it mentions above that about possibilites of intereference from other radio sources (seeing as your batter checks out).  Try moving the bike and see if that helps.
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline Kurt

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »
Did you try the "K-rock" trick yet?

Yes. No help

Offline Kurt

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »
On the image I posted showing how the FOB works, it mentions above that about possibilites of intereference from other radio sources (seeing as your batter checks out).  Try moving the bike and see if that helps.

I had to push it a half mile this mornin to get it indoors. The inability to turn the key persisted.

I am not so pleased with this Kawi that I chose for its reliability. It spend 3 weeks in the shop getting the transmission rebuilt (1,500 miles on it before gear 4 failed), and now this... With 2,300 miles.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 05:34:58 PM »
I'm just now realizing, aren't you the same one that bought both the new C14 and the R1200RT just like a month ago? And then never posted any pics of either even after many said they didn't believe you??

Forgive me if I'm wrong or have you confused with someone else and I'll gladly remove my post, apologize, and eat crow, but this is starting to sound a little fishy to me for some reason...  :-\

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=5675.msg67716#msg67716

Anyone else think we're maybe getting played here with this thread?  :-\