Author Topic: Seeing the surgeon  (Read 29292 times)

Offline r2t2

Re: Seeing the surgeon
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »
The Bun Cooler should be the second or third weekend in May. That's far enough out that all our backs should be in great shape!
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2012, 06:22:12 AM »
do y'all think a thread about Alzheimers would be beneficial to the forum?

Ride safe, Ted

If you want to start a new thread, then by all means...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2012, 08:27:34 AM »
Monday I get my L5/S1 fused... finally.  :)  I was told 6 weeks no riding, which beats 6 months when I had my herniated disk repaired back in 2006.  :hail: They have a miracle drug now that promotes bone growth/fusing, which will be cutting down my PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) .  I was told 2 to 4 weeks off, then back to work.  They are going thru the front groin area, so recovery will be quicker than cutting the back muscles to access the spine.  Only one night in the hospital if all goes well.  No brace this time around either.  Boy, how things have changed in 6 years.  8)

I've been on Oxycontin/Opana for a year now for pain management... I'll be happy as a lark to stop taking that stuff.  The only upside of taking them, was not eating the NSAID's that were destroying my stomach.

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »
Monday I get my L5/S1 fused... finally.  :)  I was told 6 weeks no riding, which beats 6 months when I had my herniated disk repaired back in 2006.  :hail: They have a miracle drug now that promotes bone growth/fusing, which will be cutting down my PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) .  I was told 2 to 4 weeks off, then back to work.  They are going thru the front groin area, so recovery will be quicker than cutting the back muscles to access the spine.  Only one night in the hospital if all goes well.  No brace this time around either.  Boy, how things have changed in 6 years.  8)

I've been on Oxycontin/Opana for a year now for pain management... I'll be happy as a lark to stop taking that stuff.  The only upside of taking them, was not eating the NSAID's that were destroying my stomach.
Best wishes on the surgery.  Aint it odd at just how long it takes before they finally settle on surgery?  I lay the fault at the folks who fraud their way forward.  I for one can't wait to get back to work and I am doing everything I can to help expedite the date.
PMS describes it quite well.  Hopefully I am riding next week, I'll hold off on the YZ but the 14 and KLR are fair game.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2012, 11:27:11 PM »
Well, some not so good news, doc wont let me return to work until my "conditions" improve.  I've experienced a setback, back to where it was before surgery.  I am getting another one of their diagnstic shots to prep for another facet burn, this sucks.  Doc says he saw the other herniated disc and is concerned about my other degenerative issues.  What I will do is get as much fixed as possible and my doc wasnt overly sure I could be back to normal.  The bright side?  I'm around to take care of Pappy, winter is the worst time for him, between the shorter days and wet days he just isn't interested in doing much of anything,  If I am there I can motivate him to do something, even if it is hauling in wood to the basement.
Oh well, I did finish the ZXTB swap this evening, did a quick 10 minute ride to get gas and do a loop, first time this year I hit trips :D  I wore a heavier pair of gloves since I didnt want to use the heated grips to help preserve battery life.  It was a fun little ride, one that made me want even more.  Tomorow we have a meeting for the upcoming dirtbike school certification program, I am hoping things get better, the actual sessions begin in mid March.  Time to start building my hand and forearm strength.  I may pull the YZ out for a coupla laps around the place just to see how I feel.
Send an extra prayer to LEO, he needs the help more then I do.  I'm feeling strong mental wise, but physically wise I'm still lacking.

As an FYI, sex is out of the question, 3 days of pain for 2 inches of satisfaction just aint worth it 8)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2012, 06:20:50 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about the setback Chet. Hang in there man!    :thumbs:

I'm also sorry to hear about the two inches, my condolences to your wife.   :o    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2012, 06:31:26 AM »
Hopefully you meant two inches..............wide.   ;D

Good luck Chet.  I hope your back issues are sorted out in an expedient manner. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2012, 03:49:36 PM »
"An inch more and I'd be a king, an inch less and I'd be a queen"  Just call me "Stump" 8)
I sure hope things do work out soon, when I was putting the tank back on (all but empty) I had a really bad spike in pain, no ryme or reason.  I think I need to lower my expectations a bit.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2012, 04:04:19 PM »
Ok Stump, hope yer back starts feeling better. :thumbs:
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline r2t2

« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2012, 04:15:54 PM »
Well that sux Chet! Do they have you in any kind of brace? I've gotten to appreciate my brace as my gut shrinks and it fits better. The thing I like about the brace is that it won't let me do the (stupid) things that I shouldn't do. It sounds like you had more damage than what the MRI (or whatever) actually showed. I know my surgery was about 6 hours when it was only supposed to be about 3. They kept finding other things that all the different pictures didn't show. Hang in there. I beginning to believe that post back surgery becomes an exercise in patience... Something that I didn't have a lot of. 
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Son of Pappy

« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
I think the issues are stemming from the degenerative bones, I always knew I had 2 herniated discs but they only worked on one?  I do know I will have a second opinion from an independant surgeon before they cut on me again.  I think you discovered my shortcoming as well, patience.  I was so ready to get fixed I didn't even think about getting another opinion.  Other then getting fixed I am starting to worry about my job, FMLA only guarentees a position for 12 weeks, after that it is about whatever policy the employer has.  I have been told I am OK, but who knows down the road?  I really do miss my job, working with Soldiers and their preferred tools is great and with the pace of work it is always a challenge.  If they do decide to replace me I always have a job as a motorcycle instructor and I have a standing offer to travel to train SF Soldiers, it is a special contract held by the folks I teach for.  Heck, I would even have more time to continue developing my property.
So to sum it all up?  I just need to be patient.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2012, 06:48:11 AM »
You mentioned Dirt Bike Instructor.
Are you teaching people how to ride one, or how to improve their skills for racing?

Back when I started on a dirt bike, my (err) instructor sed give it a lot of gas and let go of the clutch.. End of lesson.....
Lets go ride....

Sorry to hear about the ste back... Keep yer Chin up!

Ride safe, Ted

Son of Pappy

« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2012, 08:25:58 AM »
The classes are from 6 and up, no racing.  It is also stressed to respect our enviroment, pack it in/out and to leave as small a footprint as possible.  They also offer dualsport/adventure riding events.
Here is a link to the site for PSSOR http://www.pssor.com/

I think I will skip physical therapy today, I woke up feeling pretty good and I want to give the back another day to recover so to speak.  We are dropping a few big fir trees today, I will be the gofer and excavator operator, no saw work for me.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2012, 05:57:50 AM »
Chet, I just ran across this, and immediately thought of you and your Pop, it wouldn't hurt to try it out..
http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/mp4/LJO190v1_WS
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline tidewatergirl

• Arena
« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2012, 06:35:13 AM »
Chet - What a remarkable person you are to care for your father in this way. I lost my Dad last may and now have become my mother's new husband (she is 82) and I feel the strain but also the gift of being the child caregiver...even in the darkest of moments.....my brothers and sisters are far away and I know they wish they could be here. I think anything information you share on Alzheimer and you successes and failures would be a blessing for us all to read. My best friend's mother had been snicking cigarettes and matches from the coat closet at church (from the mens overcoats) and was home smoking and damn near burnt the house down.  The can forget you are but remember their addiction and how to get what they want....in the child's mind they live in. I wish you all the patience, and self knowledge you have to care for Pappy. 
On the blue shore of silence

Son of Pappy

« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2012, 09:32:08 AM »
Walker, thank you from the heart, I will be finding some today, at this point it surely won't hurt.  I will pass on what Pappys experiences are.  Thank you again :)

tidewatergirl, the gift is what keeps me going at times.  The gift of his little SEG when he comes up with a good zinger or the gift of an old memory shared.  You hit a really key item, patience.  Remember that while a child is learning new things daily, Alz. folks are unlearning things daily.  Anything out of a lifetime norm is a distractor and adds to the confusion.  Location and foods are the 2 biggest distractors that come to mind.  Don't offer a new form of food, no matter how good it may be, they won't like it.  If a new location is the destination they must have an old friend with them and they become easily confused and start closing the door to their mind.

I also find sharing this experience a big help for me.  Family will always be close but I have found that emotions tend to cloud reason and often add to the burden.  So, I would say simply that the prayers are being answered and I feel a tremendous amount of relief.  Thank you to all.

Today is one of those special days that I shared with Pappy as a child, it is the Daytona 500.  I will be ordering pizza and watching the race.  It is a great day indeed.  Go Kyle Busch, beat all them Hendrick boys ;D

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2012, 05:15:39 PM »
Been meaning to drop you an update... keep forgetting to.

SOP, I hope and pray your back does improve, or at least you do find a surgeon that can perform the procedure you need.  I was blessed to find The Center For Spinal Disorders here in Denver.  My original surgeon I was seeing was a joke, and my wife who is a RN made me seek another opinion!  I'm glad I did. 

I had my L5/S1 fused on 1/9, back to work on 2/13.  I have a nice plate in place with 4 screws... almost a half inch taller now... or should I say, back to my normal height. ;D  I was walking the night of the surgery... sadists! :o  Discharged on 1/10.

So far things are OK... I should be OK'ed to start riding again on 3/6.  A few good things that came of this... dropped a few pounds, and I quit smoking.  The loss of pounds should just make me that much quicker in the twisties, right?  ;D 

I wish you the best... I'll keep you in my prayers.  Hope you and Pappy have a great day, and hopefully you have a race to watch if the rain will blow off!  8)

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Jettn Jim

• NE PA Some on High Adventure Most!^)-
« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2012, 12:46:38 AM »
Been wondering how you we're doin' Chet.... in my prayers over here.  :thumbs:
Peace brother
BECAUSE ONE HAS SIGHT...DOES NOT MEAN ONE HAS VISION...

Son of Pappy

« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2012, 01:36:55 AM »
Thanks Jim!!  Lightning in the blood :)  Spent some time on the KLR today, I went and did a shadow of our intermediate dirt bike course, body is smoked tired, mostly forearm and hands.  My legs are also burning, had an intense physical therapy yesterday, told em I wanted some sore muscles and boy did they deliver.  I have 1 week left to be %100 for work, don't think, well, pretty sure it aint happening, it will be up to a DR to sign a release and based on the PT reports I am about %75 capable based on job requirements.  I will build on life, do some full time MSF and dirtbike teaching, start doing some adventure camps and rally seminars.  My biggest challenge will be Pappy during a rally and adventure camps.  My bride of 31 years will fill in for me, but Pappy isn't as cooperative for her.
I got a new tent http://www.redverz.com/ it is really easy to setup, gobs of room, an area for cooking inside during periods of falling moisture of hot sun.  Roll the bike in, close door, warm things up with engine heat.  Sleeps 2 easy, 3 if there aint any homofobs.   My kit is all but dine, all I need is a butane fired lamp for light and heat, and a small axe for wood and peg driver.  When do you see yourself out this way[/[/font],  I may have loads of time on my hands and if we ride Ellemeham and surrounding areas we could setup Pappy at his place, point out things he enjoys doing and head out for some cow trails and end up at the bottom of the mountain.  Bring some Kind and I'll bring some Crown.  We'll find us a fresh bird or two for dinner over the fire, eat some spuds, and plan where the next days ride will take us.  I'd like to ride your big bore so I can see if it is something I need to do ;)
Prayers back atcha, your'e too adventurous to not need them ;)  Hey, do you like moose jerky?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2012, 06:40:26 AM »
At least you have good options either way.  Motorcycles or weapons!  Most guys would kill to have those two choices.  I am another fortunate guy that rides my motorcycle to work and works with weapons.  Hopefully you are back to 100% sooner rather than later.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.