Author Topic: Corpssgt took a spill today  (Read 15116 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Corpssgt took a spill today
« on: June 12, 2011, 06:53:10 PM »
A buddy and I met up with Trey (Corpssgt) and his buddy Craig to ride in Arkansas today.  We left from Yellville and headed towards Push Mountain and everything went great until Trey was coming around a left hand 35 mph curve towards the bottom of Push Mountain and took a ride into the ditch.  From where I was about 20 meters behind him he went wide and hit some loose gravel on the right shoulder and low sided into the ditch.  Then the bike popped up when it hit the concrete and high sided into the hill which sent Trey over the bars and the bike almost flipped over on top of him.  He busted up his knee and shoulder pretty good, but is doing well, all things considered.  He is currently on his way home with his wife back to KC.  I am pretty sure he will have a couple days off to mend, so I will let him explain what exactly happened.  I am just glad that he is in better shape than his bike.  Get well soon Trey! 

Here are a couple pics

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Excavator

Re: Corpssgt took a spill today
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 07:28:02 PM »
Man that hurts...to see a nice bike in that shape. I'm glad to hear his injuries are no worse than described. C14- Pilot and myself ended up in north Arkansas with some guys from Texas, just did'nt make it over to Push Mt.

I hope Corpssgt heals up quickly and gets back on the road soon, really sorry that happened.

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
man JD i hope all is well with him.

Offline Pynikal

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:55:39 AM »
LD was he running bags on or off?  just wondering if they came off in the low side.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:27:34 AM »
LD was he running bags on or off?  just wondering if they came off in the low side.

He had his bags on, one was trashed and the other was thrown from the bike.  Before I took any of the pics I had collected everything up to send it with Trey in the ambulance.

Offline Pynikal

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:59:38 AM »
keep us posted on how he is doing.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 08:04:56 AM »
Ouch.  Well, the bike is replaceable.  Glad to hear he's doing okay.  Could have been worse.

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:33:06 AM »
Ouch.  Well, the bike is replaceable.  Glad to hear he's doing okay.  Could have been worse.
I agree, judging by the photos, I am very glad to hear he is OK
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:56:13 AM »
Glad it was not worse than it is, tell him to get well soon.
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »
I agree, judging by the photos, I am very glad to hear he is OK

He had me scared for a couple minutes before he regained consciousness.  Hopefully he will post up when he feels up to it to give his perspective of this nasty event. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 11:26:22 AM »
Oh no!!!!

Heal quickly Trey.

That's one of the saddest bike related sights I have ever seen. Poor Connie, getting towed out of the ditch in such a shape.    :'(
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Corpssgt

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 11:30:11 AM »
hi all.  thanks for the concern.  im hunting and pecking to type so grammer an caps aren't something im worried about.  i should heal up fine.  not too sure about the hospital there.  so far my injuries are torn rotator cuff, and a golf ball size hole in my knee. the doc cut a lot of hamburger out of there.  really not sure what happened i was straight up and went to hit the brakes and the front tire seemed to be washing out as if it had locked up.  i wasnt on the brakes too hard at that point.  i tried to modulate the front and must have locked the rear.  it didnt seem that i could make the corner at that point so i picked a spot to head off road.  i dont really recall what happened when i hit the ditch but i remember my face heading at the embankment.  couldnt breath and then the lights went out.  woke up to jeremy calling out my name and i was trying to figure out why i was sleeping.  Felt better yesterday than i do today.  i'm sure tomorrow will be worse. i feel really lucky how well i came out because as we all know this could have been worse.  wanted to let everyone know how great of a guy jeremy is.  he made me a sling for my shoulder that got plenty of compliments from the medical staff.

i have some thinking to do about whether to get back in the saddle or not.  the connie will still be a front runner in the list if i do.  i might be the first one to own 3 c14's. 

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 11:56:43 AM »
Typical Marine, always having a Soldier bail em out ;)  Heal up, dont think about riding yet, you'll know when the time is right.  Thank God you didnt have the fast Silver one, just imagine what woulda happened 8)  When you get your new C14, I'd recomend a slow red one, or slower yet, the black one :-*

Get well soon,

Chet

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 11:57:45 AM »
Glad you're ok and on the mend....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
Nooooooooooooooooo! It pains me to see a FAST BLUE Concours in that shape. Hell, it looks like my bike! Now I feel snakebit!

Heal up fast . . . and of course you will need to get a new BLUE Connie! I've done the rotator cuff thing. Sounds like the knee injury is going to be the more painful of the two.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 12:11:08 PM »
SNIP Typical Marine, always having a Soldier bail em out ;)  Chet

I'm just glad nobody was watching me when I was making sure Trey's back wasn't broken.  That would have looked weird coming up on the scene and seeing me check for a priapism.  But I knew that it was a possibility the way he landed.  I felt like I was back in the sandbox minus a firefight.  I knowTrey would have done the same for me too.  ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »
Trey,

I know it's a lil early yet but when you get a chance, and feel up to it, can you tell us what gear you were wearing and how it performed in protecting you?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline koval68

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 01:31:04 PM »
It could have been a lot worse. Glad to hear you're doing better. Knee injuries are nasty (over 3 years, incl.hardware removal for me...), start on physio as soon as you can and stick with it. Without it, your range of motion will never be the same...

Typical Marine, always having a Soldier bail em out ;) 
Get well soon,
Chet
Yeah! One of my riding buddies from Olean,NY is a Marine.....I have to say, They're an outstanding bunch!   :thumbs:
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 01:51:52 PM »
Sorry to hear about the incident, but quitting is never the way to go.  Aches and pains are just reminders of a life well lived.  Your next Connie needs a turbo... and crash bars.

Carry on.

Et al:  Marines may be outstanding, but we are most definitely gluttons for abuse.

Semper

Bob

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »
Trey, your lucky and as said, it could have been worse. Locking the rear brake got me a titanium elbow a few years back. Get ABS on the next bike!  ;D

All kidding aside, it could have been much worse and you are lucky. Just heal up and make that your first priority. You health and family come first. Then find a way to talk your wife into a replacement bike!  8)