Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 672988 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3180 on: June 03, 2018, 09:44:40 AM »
In a nutshell, yes.  I make lots of calls (non-robo) to clients during the day.  The cell phone is awkward and radiates cosmic rays to my brane.  I feel this is the safer solution overall.  I could wear the helmet but then I can't hear very much.

Forget the 'not land line' new phone and get you a nice blutoof ear piece. The better devices sound and work great plus you can wear one inside of your helmet.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3181 on: June 03, 2018, 09:45:04 AM »
Going to dump my land line finally.  Can't stand the robo calls.  I was holding up doing it and then was wondering if I could still use my phone set somehow. 

You can, but it requires a device that kinda screens calls.  We posted extensively about that here.  Plus and minuses though.

So just found this out today that the newer handsets (I'm looking a Pansonic) can have blue tooth built in.  You sync your phone to the main set and then the calls can route through all the sets.  Your phone has to be within blue tooth range of the main unit but I don't see a problem with that.  Panasonic calls that link2cell.

I thought I posted about that at least once, but search shows nothing.  I have been using those for many years now.  Sound quality is poorer than both native cell and land line, but it is extremely convenient.  Will also bleep notifications with text message/etc from cell.  I hate talking on cell phones.  They are hard to hold, hard to use, inconvenient, and prone to being dropped.  With the Panasonic, a cell ring will go to 5 easy-to-hold and use handsets throughout the house, with seemingly unlimited battery life (and uses standard AAA NiMH batteries to boot).  Highly recommend.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3182 on: June 03, 2018, 09:48:48 AM »
Forget the 'not land line' new phone and get you a nice blutoof ear piece. The better devices sound and work great plus you can wear one inside of your helmet.

blutoof?   Never heard of that one. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3183 on: June 03, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »

blutoof?   Never heard of that one. ;)

Issues with your hearing? That's another device you need. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23388.0

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3184 on: June 05, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »
Now this one is destined to be a classic:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/06/03/an-fbi-agent-did-a-backflip-in-a-club-dropped-his-gun-and-accidentally-shot-someone-police-say/?utm_term=.296e52f4469c

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. There were several phases of this that were more than 'bad enough', starting off with dropping a firearm while dancing, but the coup de grace is that the agent just walked away from the person he shot without rendering aid or even accessing the situation. ?!?!?!?!?!?!

C'mon Jim, we really need that face- palm emoticon..... please? It is not so much me asking as it is the world demanding it..... over and over again.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3185 on: June 05, 2018, 03:43:31 PM »
All modern pistols have anti-drop safeties, so that would have had to fail, too.

"He landed and as he picked up his gun from the floor, it fired."

And there you have it, *HE* fired it, accidentally, by having his finger in the trigger guard area when he picked it up.  Almost even visible in the video.  It didn't go off from being dropped.

"Denver police spokesman Marika Putnam said she does not know what type of gun the agent was carrying."

So we also don't know what it was- old, new, service or what.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3186 on: June 05, 2018, 03:44:47 PM »
C'mon Jim, we really need that face- palm emoticon..... please? It is not so much me asking as it is the world demanding it..... over and over again.

This one?     :doh:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3187 on: June 05, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »
No. That is a forehead slap. A face- palm is one where the hand comes up, covers the face, and usually the combination shake from side- to- side a little. The forehead slap indicates, at least to me, stupid while the face- palm indicates F.U.B.A.R. visually very, very well, again at least to me.

Brian

This one?     :doh:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3188 on: June 05, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
The pistol did NOT fire from being dropped, the agent picked it up by putting his finger in the trigger guard and pulling the trigger. You can see it in the video. It is just one in an entire series of mistakes, accidents and just bad behavior in that video.  Then there are the lapses in judgement BEFORE he drops the pistol: why was the pistol not in a holster? Why was he doing that extreme gymnastics foolishness while carrying a pistol? Was that in a bar or nightclub? If so, another behavioral question along with did he consume alcohol?

Methinks he may not be an FBI agent much longer. I can be pretty imaginative but I cannot think of a story or series of stories that would explain away that series of events to anything even close to satisfactory. Beyond that, he might also face criminal or civil charges over the incident.

Nothing exceeds like excess, and that video is excessive..... squared IMO.

And the link to the video I posted does NOT show the agent putting his hands up in the air and walking away to the left. He made absolutely zero effort to provide any emergency first aid to the person he shot nor did he even make any effort to see the person he shot nor that person's condition.

Brian

All modern pistols have anti-drop safeties, so that would have had to fail, too.

"He landed and as he picked up his gun from the floor, it fired."

And there you have it, *HE* fired it, accidentally, by having his finger in the trigger guard area when he picked it up.  Almost even visible in the video.  It didn't go off from being dropped.

"Denver police spokesman Marika Putnam said she does not know what type of gun the agent was carrying."

So we also don't know what it was- old, new, service or what.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 04:58:44 PM by B.D.F. »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3189 on: June 06, 2018, 04:13:11 AM »
Now this one is destined to be a classic:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/06/03/an-fbi-agent-did-a-backflip-in-a-club-dropped-his-gun-and-accidentally-shot-someone-police-say/?utm_term=.296e52f4469c

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. There were several phases of this that were more than 'bad enough', starting off with dropping a firearm while dancing, but the coup de grace is that the agent just walked away from the person he shot without rendering aid or even accessing the situation. ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Brian

Jeeze Brian! It was the FBI's agent's turn 'in the box' and he wasn't done with his lil dance. Anyone can see that.    ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3190 on: June 06, 2018, 05:35:10 AM »
And now for something entirely different.  Some years (more than I can count) ago I misplaced my primary fob (the one with the key).  I know I hadn't lost it because I had got home on the bike and the bike wasn't complaining about fob out of range.   Looked over and over for it in the garage and in the house and no luck.  I had thought I had put it down somewhere and it slid into a box that got thrown out.   So not wanting to lose the second one, I attached a chain to it and always clipped that to my belt loop.  Only way I could lose it now was to lose my pants.  Fast forward to day before evening...   Wife comes down the stairs and asks me what is this in her hand.  Oh heck yes, I need that.  It's the primary fob to the C14.  Where was it?  It was in a drawer she was cleaning out.  I felt so good I went out and rode the Indian 200 miles yesterday.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3191 on: June 06, 2018, 06:26:31 AM »
I felt so good I went out and rode the Indian 200 miles yesterday.

????  What a horrible ending...

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3192 on: June 06, 2018, 06:40:49 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3193 on: June 06, 2018, 07:54:51 AM »
 ;D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3194 on: June 06, 2018, 03:42:46 PM »
The last surviving 'Munchkin' from The Wizard of Oz died last month, at age 98. Jerry Maren was one of the 'little people' in that movie, standing 4'3" tall.

And according to Mr. Maren, the Munchkins were paid $50 per week to work on that movie..... while Toto the dog was paid $200 per week. I honestly do not know what to make of that, nor can I find a 'moral in the story' anywhere, unless it is as simple there were far more Munchkins than there were dogs in that movie?

Brian

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3195 on: June 06, 2018, 03:46:10 PM »
unless it is as simple there were far more Munchkins than there were dogs in that movie?

That is probably it.  All the dwarfs were, essentially, "extras" and mostly anonymous (through costume) and mostly with only tiny exposure.  Toto had a larger role and much more screen time.  It does seem kinda funny, though.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3196 on: June 07, 2018, 04:01:33 AM »
And now for something entirely different.  Some years (more than I can count) ago I misplaced my primary fob (the one with the key).  I know I hadn't lost it because I had got home on the bike and the bike wasn't complaining about fob out of range.   Looked over and over for it in the garage and in the house and no luck.  I had thought I had put it down somewhere and it slid into a box that got thrown out.   So not wanting to lose the second one, I attached a chain to it and always clipped that to my belt loop.  Only way I could lose it now was to lose my pants.  Fast forward to day before evening...   Wife comes down the stairs and asks me what is this in her hand.  Oh heck yes, I need that.  It's the primary fob to the C14.  Where was it?  It was in a drawer she was cleaning out.  I felt so good I went out and rode the Indian 200 miles yesterday.

What? You have a 2008 C14 right? Both of your fobs are the same, like mine. What's primary about one fob over the other? Both of my fobs have keys.

And after being on this message board for how many years? You've seen folks here who have lost their last fob and have spent a LOT of money replacing fobs and ECUs to get their bikes back up and running and you've been with one fob for how many years?    :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3197 on: June 07, 2018, 05:06:52 AM »
Well, I don't remember if I had two keys.   I think I only had 1.   You remember how spotty the dealers were at that time.  Yep, I know about lost fobs and the issues therein.  However, being the eternal pessimistic optimist, I knew that the other fob would show up at some time or another or not.  It was either in the house or thrown out inadvertently, hence the chain and fastening to the belt loop.  If that fob got lost then I was going to get lost with it. ;)

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3198 on: June 07, 2018, 09:52:46 AM »
...  It was either in the house or thrown out inadvertently, hence the chain and fastening to the belt loop.  If that fob got lost then I was going to get lost with it. ;)

You got lost, all right ... at an Indian dealership.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3199 on: June 07, 2018, 11:45:41 AM »
Snip...

However, being the eternal pessimistic optimist, I knew that the other fob would show up at some time or another or not. 

That's a pretty safe bet I'd say.