Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 128231 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« Reply #460 on: June 29, 2016, 05:12:52 AM »
What would it bluebook for if there wasn't a problem? What did it cost new?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #461 on: June 29, 2016, 05:54:31 AM »
So sell it back and buy another VW?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #462 on: June 29, 2016, 06:35:42 AM »
So sell it back and buy another VW?

I wonder if that emissions scandal by VW has been put to bed yet.....?

I actually do the blanking for the entire VW Polo for a living.  Don't know if you guys in the States know it....They are bringing out a new model next year, and I don't even wanna know how much that is gonna go for...

Being right next door to the GM factory, for whom I also do some blanking, I'm an Isuzu man myself. Diesel of course...

Personally I think the VW is overpriced and overrated. (Might just get a smack from Kwakrider on this one, as he works for VW....)

It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #463 on: June 29, 2016, 07:21:29 AM »
Finally!!!!

As of yesterday the word is out on what's going to happen with VW diesels.

If your car is effected the first thing to do is to find the numbers here.

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/att._1a_-_buyback_modification_table.pdf

Then you go here to find out what your mileage adjustment is. 

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/162-3006/volkswagen-group-america-inc

The two choices are, keep your car along with some cash from VW and wait for a fix that will degrade the cars performance (no one knows how much as the fix is still in the works). Or you can sell it back to VW.

For my car after running the numbers (if I did the calculations right). 2012 Jetta Sportwagen w/nav & sunroof, ~ 41k miles. If I keep the car and wait for a fix, VW will pay me $6,500. If I sell it back to VW they'll pay me $24k.

What would you do? I'm leaning toward selling it back.

I would sell it back to them for $24K.
I think after the "fix" (which I suppose you have to agree to if you keep it) the mileage and performance won't be what you are accustomed to/expect, and with many gasser mileage ratings approaching the possible expected post fix result I think you can drive a long time with a newer gas powered vehicle from a lot of different brands.
On the older side of things, my tank averages for the 2001 TDI since March have been all over 52 mpg and most at or approaching 55 mpg. The 2003 conversion/transplant project (TDI into a 1.8T chassis) hasn't gotten much attention the last several months. I intend to keep them going as long as possible, but corrosion will be the life ending factor barring another major accident.

There are so many more interesting choices for diesel powered vehicles across the pond(s).
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #464 on: June 30, 2016, 05:12:45 AM »

I'll have to dig out my paperwork to see what I paid for this thing. The prices for the buyback come from September of last year, right before the **** hit the fan on the emissions scandal, plus an additional cash payout from VW for 'pain and suffering'.

I'm almost positive that I'll sell it back to VW. Looks like I have some car shopping to do.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #465 on: July 01, 2016, 04:59:39 AM »

I dug out my paperwork on the Jetta.

2012 Jetta TDI Sportwagen W/DSG, Nav, and Sunroof. Took delivery 12/22/11 (factory order ~two months prior) $28,625 plus TTL. By the time Fall rolls around I will have had the car for almost 5 years and I'll only take a ~$5k hit on selling it back. Not too bad.  :)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #466 on: July 01, 2016, 05:17:48 AM »
Not to shabby. Didn't you already get a goody bag earlier?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #467 on: July 01, 2016, 05:54:19 AM »
Not to shabby. Didn't you already get a goody bag earlier?

Yep, we did. $500 gift card spendable anywhere (spent), $500 VW gift card spendable at a VW dealer only (not spent), and 3 years 24/7 roadside assistance. I'm not sure what I'll do with the $500 VW card. VW isn't out of the running as a replacement for the Jetta though.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #468 on: July 01, 2016, 08:14:27 AM »
I dug out my paperwork on the Jetta.

2012 Jetta TDI Sportwagen W/DSG, Nav, and Sunroof. Took delivery 12/22/11 (factory order ~two months prior) $28,625 plus TTL. By the time Fall rolls around I will have had the car for almost 5 years and I'll only take a ~$5k hit on selling it back. Not too bad.  :)

About $84/month, That's awesome!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #469 on: July 02, 2016, 04:54:01 AM »
About $84/month, That's awesome!

That's what I thought too. Time for some car shopping!

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #470 on: July 29, 2016, 07:49:58 PM »
The more I look in to it, the more I am being convinced to take full advantage of this buyback program. It seems you will have until May 2018 to accept the buyback. I don't think you can find a cheaper vehicle to put the miles on right now. They will deduct for excessive mileage, but at a pretty low fee. About $6200 every 100,000 miles over typical driving (1042 per month from ownership) for a Jetta. About $7800 for every 100,000 miles on my Passat.

Joel from Maine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #471 on: July 30, 2016, 07:06:13 AM »
I may drive my Jetta for a while yet and not jump right in and sell it back at the soonest opportunity. It costs very little to drive it for a while yet so why not?

As for a replacement, I'm leaning towards a small SUV or crossover. I like the Suby Crosstrek but my wife insists on a auto trans and the CVT paired with the anemic 2l engine is just not gonna cut it for me. Maybe a Mazda CX5 or a Suby Forester (cept that they're so damn ugly).

Offline Blown32

« Reply #472 on: July 30, 2016, 07:33:47 AM »
I may drive my Jetta for a while yet and not jump right in and sell it back at the soonest opportunity. It costs very little to drive it for a while yet so why not?

As for a replacement, I'm leaning towards a small SUV or crossover. I like the Suby Crosstrek but my wife insists on a auto trans and the CVT paired with the anemic 2l engine is just not gonna cut it for me. Maybe a Mazda CX5 or a Suby Forester (cept that they're so damn ugly).

Same situation here, VW Jetta TDI is the wife's driver (manual trans).   We live about 30 miles out and 1.5 is gravel that gets very sloppy with rain (yes, I hate the gravel but it was a necessary evil) so an AWD is in the cards for our next vehicle.  Also looking at the same vehicles as you are; haven't driven them yet but luckily my better half is good with a manual trans so we are leaning to the Subaru. 

My current winter/beater/save miles on my tow vehicle driver is a Subaru Baja and even though I thought I would dislike it it's been a great car/truck and even hauls most things I would usually have to take my truck for.  If they may a new one it would be at the top of the list. 

Darn, I'm getting old.  Practical cars at the top of my list.... what a shame.....
Current 2 wheel rides:
2014 Councours 14, 2003 ZRX1200r, 2001 ZRX1200r, 1994 KLR 650, 1985 Eliminator 900 (will sell in the spring)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #473 on: July 30, 2016, 08:10:17 AM »
snip...

Darn, I'm getting old.  Practical cars at the top of my list.... what a shame.....

I know right! What the hell...

Offline Blown32

« Reply #474 on: July 31, 2016, 07:48:41 AM »
Well, I'm considering a rebellion (on my practicality).   

When we moved to Colorado, we stored the wife's daily driver at the time due to the long commute and the gravel road but I'm considering resurrecting it as a daily driver.  Not practical but.... much more fun.  It's a 2001 Z28 6sp LS1 with a few performance and breaking mods with only 60k on the clock. 

Thinking about the Camaro as a summer and nice winter driver, my Baja and truck (Dodge 4x4 cummins) as bad weather drivers.  If we go this route the funds from VW buyback could go to our next project car.  I'm just about finished with the 71 El Camino (pro touring/street machine light type build); next up is a full nut and bolt tear down and build on our 69 Camaro.  We have been buying parts for it for quite a while but lots still to go so the buy back would make huge strides.
Current 2 wheel rides:
2014 Councours 14, 2003 ZRX1200r, 2001 ZRX1200r, 1994 KLR 650, 1985 Eliminator 900 (will sell in the spring)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #475 on: July 31, 2016, 07:52:16 AM »
Well, I'm considering a rebellion (on my practicality).   

When we moved to Colorado, we stored the wife's daily driver at the time due to the long commute and the gravel road but I'm considering resurrecting it as a daily driver.  Not practical but.... much more fun.  It's a 2001 Z28 6sp LS1 with a few performance and breaking mods with only 60k on the clock. 

Your mods are breaking/broken?     ;)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #476 on: July 31, 2016, 04:00:18 PM »

It IS  a Camaro.  :rotflmao: :stirpot:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Blown32

« Reply #477 on: August 01, 2016, 05:20:25 AM »

Engine performance mods as in long tube headers, tuned, intake, etc...  and breaking mods as in larger disks and better calipers   :)
Current 2 wheel rides:

Offline Blown32

« Reply #478 on: August 01, 2016, 05:32:18 AM »
It IS  a Camaro.  :rotflmao: :stirpot:

Well, this one has been trouble free with the sole exception of a failed fuel pump so naturally it received an complete fuel system upgrade, complete larger in-tank pump to rails and injectors.  Hard to beat being as a fun and reasonably powered (in the ballpark of 350hp at the wheels) daily driver, it routinely pulls down 28 on the highway got to love the T56 with double overdrive.   It's just not good in gravel or snow; ok, call it horrible in snow but that is not it's intended environment so I'll give it a pass on that.

Funny thing is I expected to get some guff about my POS Subaru.........
Current 2 wheel rides:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #479 on: August 24, 2016, 05:06:05 AM »
Test drove a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring yesterday. NICE!