Author Topic: Heated gear on the acc fuse?  (Read 3169 times)

Offline kzz1king

Heated gear on the acc fuse?
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
Anyone running just a jacket on the acc 5 amp?
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Heated gear on the acc fuse?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:26:26 AM »
You can change it to a ten. The 08's are 10 amp... Yes, I've done it.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:34:16 PM »
 :yikes:   Right.   And that nuclear explosion in the background of your avatar is what happened when you did it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
Tried what? The fuse change, heated gear on that fuse or both? Thanks

quote author=jimmymac link=topic=22213.msg275281#msg275281 date=1487870786]
[/quote]
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 04:25:53 PM »
I do not think the acc. circuit will carry a heated jacket, at least not the Gerbing I have; the jacket liner I use is 77 watts and draws about 6 amps. And if it did work, you would be right on the edge of the circuit limit and any small surge would open the fuse. My opinion would be to run a dedicated line back to the battery, fuse it at 15 amps, and you can also then use that aux. power tap to charge the battery, and even run an electric air compressor in addition to your heated gear.

Brian

Anyone running just a jacket on the acc 5 amp?
Wayne
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 02:28:06 AM »
I do not think the acc. circuit will carry a heated jacket, at least not the Gerbing I have; the jacket liner I use is 77 watts and draws about 6 amps. And if it did work, you would be right on the edge of the circuit limit and any small surge would open the fuse. My opinion would be to run a dedicated line back to the battery, fuse it at 15 amps, and you can also then use that aux. power tap to charge the battery, and even run an electric air compressor in addition to your heated gear.

Brian

Charge the battery, what is this odd thing of which you speak? Just ride the bike all year round lol

BTW I would do it that way but use the acc feed to trigger a relay so the aux feed is ignition on only
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 04:05:13 AM »
Tried what? The fuse change, heated gear on that fuse or both? Thanks

To answer your question kzz1king, what jimmymac was suggesting was to change out the 5A fuse for a 10A fuse in your C14's ACC Circuit.

Go the route that B.D.F. suggested would be my suggestion, but with a 30A fuse, because some air compressors may even blow a 15A fuse.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 04:33:33 AM »
That's what I've done without any issue.  The heated gear runs directly from the battery.  However, using the accessory circuit to power a relay sounds good as well and there's no chance of leaving it on to drain the battery.  And by leaving it on, I mean leaving the heat controller pulsing without it connected to the heated gear.  It would eventually drain the battery down like that.  I haven't done that yet and don't plan to, but I'm getting older and more forgetful.   
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 05:22:35 AM »
I do ride the bike year- round. Note the white stuff on the ground in my avatar. :-)

Switching on an aux. circuit with the bike's ignition is a mixed bag and a judgement call. My bike is wired for 60 amps auxiliary (30 amps directly to the battery, 30 amps from the alternator feed, done this way to get around the 30 amp main fuse) but those circuits are always hot and not dependent on the ignition being on; this is really handy when trying to charge a weak or dead battery because if wired through the bike's 'ON' circuit, one cannot close the relay to begin the charging cycle in the first place. Plus my GPSs are wired in those circuits and I do not want them to shut off when I switch the bike off when, for example, getting fuel. And finally, I have never left the bike and still had any of my heated gear powered up.... it would take a really long tie- in cable to walk very far from the bike and still be plugged in.

Brian

Charge the battery, what is this odd thing of which you speak? Just ride the bike all year round lol

BTW I would do it that way but use the acc feed to trigger a relay so the aux feed is ignition on only
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 05:39:09 AM »

Plus my GPSs are wired in those circuits and I do not want them to shut off when I switch the bike off when, for example, getting fuel.

See I'm odd, I like having my GPS shut down (& power up) automatically with the ignition and given that the TomTom400 is pretty much instant on (it sleeps rather than full off) it's not an issue (or I can hit the cancel button and keep the screen on).
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 08:59:27 AM »
I ended up just plugging a fused line into the existing battery tender line. Routed the excess into the tank seam so it is unobtrusive but easy to get at. I dont use the tender once riding season starts anyhow. Thanks all.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 10:23:31 AM »
Great.

That is sort of what I was suggesting- an all purpose, aux. electrical connection that can be used for multiple things. Your battery tender connection IS that outside aux. connector and is already on the bike, though I did not know you had one of those already. :-)

Brian

I ended up just plugging a fused line into the existing battery tender line. Routed the excess into the tank seam so it is unobtrusive but easy to get at. I dont use the tender once riding season starts anyhow. Thanks all.
Wayne

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 10:26:46 AM »
At first I read that as "See I'm old....." and then I realized you typed "odd". Well, I am old AND odd and I like my GPSs to stay powered up 'cause sometimes I am in a hurry and do not want to / can not wait for GPSs to power back up. :-)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1441.0

Brian

See I'm odd, I like having my GPS shut down (& power up) automatically with the ignition and given that the TomTom400 is pretty much instant on (it sleeps rather than full off) it's not an issue (or I can hit the cancel button and keep the screen on).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 09:17:35 PM »
At first I read that as "See I'm old....." and then I realized you typed "odd". Well, I am old AND odd and I like my GPSs to stay powered up 'cause sometimes I am in a hurry and do not want to / can not wait for GPSs to power back up. :-)

My Zumo takes just about FOREVER to boot and actually start playing music.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc