Author Topic: Lake Superior ride  (Read 2598 times)

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
Lake Superior ride
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »
Going all the way around the lake, probably starting from Sarnia, On. Hoping to get some input as to some nice scenic roads (twisties) without too much slab as well as sights to see. Thanks guys (I know you've been there!)
Rob

Offline Vic Salisbury

Re: Lake Superior ride
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
Man, I did that years ago. Started in Duluth, MN headed over the top then back through the U.P. of Michigan.
In the U.P. , from Sault St Marie to Pictured Rocks area, on 28(?), is booorrrrring. I had to make some time so I didn't try the W. Lakeshore Dr.  to 123 - 58 (I think).  Other than that, following the roads along the lake was awesome. Couple of funky construction zones on the north side.  I didn't find any real "twisties" but definitely scenic, non-slab roads. A really cool ride.
Things to see?
The locks at the Sault
Aerostich in Duluth
Floating Bridge in Ishpeming, or just east of it? Thats lower U.P. if you go there.
Iron Mountain, MI
Take 41 up past Marquette, past Houghton to the tip there.
Oh yeah, already mentioned, Pictured Rocks by Munising.

Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline spd2918

• Stay off the paint, boys.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »
I round trip from Duluth to Duluth is 1,040 miles.  You could do a Saddle Sore 1K.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »
You can also do the Great Lakes 100 or 50.   http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=12

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 06:08:28 AM »
LOL, I'm not gonna try THAT! I'll be riding with my sister and she's 63 (she's got a BMW R1150 but I don't hold that against her. I'm 53 and don't have to prove myself like that anymore.
This will be a scenic/ relaxing ride. I appreciate your input guys.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »
I A$$ume with your sister going along, you will be moteling it. I've only camped across there, so can't help much. The Ma & Pa motels are quite a bit more reasonable than the chains, generally. Usually, a good cheap breakfast can be found at a private campground, just watch the signage as you're riding along. Most of the road is in very good condition as of two years ago. Dress for heat and cold, depends on which way the wind is blowing, Superior is a cooooollllldd lake. 90 and humid to mid 40's and fog.

Enjot the ride. It's quite purty up thar.

Oh, and Betty's Pies near Two Harbors, MN.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 07:28:01 AM »
Sounds like a great ride. Another good one is the Lake Erie Loop. Toledo to Toledo is just a little over 680 miles, a nice 2 day, but a better 3 day ride. And if planned right, camping at Long Point Prov. Park is a must. Look it up and you will understand.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?