Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 455726 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: What makes me crazy....
« Reply #300 on: December 04, 2013, 05:11:25 PM »
We still have a few in Tampa operating under the Winn Dixie name, i suspect bi-lo owns them.  One of them is ghetto, but it does a lot of business anyway
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #301 on: December 05, 2013, 04:30:33 AM »
People who litter.

Why can't they throw away their trash properly?

I've collected barrels of empty cans, bottles, coffee cups, fast food wrappers and associated trash from a section of my property along the road in the last 11 years.   I would like all those litterbugs, especially the A&W Diet Root beer drinker, to have the image of the crying Indian in that old TV commercial permanently burnt into their nightmares forever!

:thumbs:

Don't forget about the number one litter item, cigarette butts!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #302 on: December 06, 2013, 08:51:34 AM »

+1 !

If the butt was doing its job while it was smelling up your car, you should be responsible enough to dispose of the remnant properly.

I guess 'should be' is not strong enough language for irresponsible smokers.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #303 on: December 06, 2013, 08:59:04 AM »
Having to work every day when I know Conrad only has a little over a handful of days left.  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #304 on: December 06, 2013, 09:03:52 AM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #305 on: December 06, 2013, 09:08:34 AM »
Having to work every day when I know Conrad only has a little over a handful of days left.  ;D

:D

10 and a wake up, not that I'm counting.    8)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #306 on: December 06, 2013, 09:11:17 AM »
+1 !

If the butt was doing its job while it was smelling up your car, you should be responsible enough to dispose of the remnant properly.

I guess 'should be' is not strong enough language for irresponsible smokers.

What really pisses me off about those folks is when they throw a lit butt out of their cage window. How in the :censored: can someone feel that it's acceptable to do this?    >:(

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #307 on: December 06, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »
They should at least put them out.  ::)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #308 on: December 06, 2013, 10:36:07 AM »
What really pisses me off about those folks is when they throw a lit butt out of their cage window. How in the :censored: can someone feel that it's acceptable to do this?    >:(
And at night!!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #309 on: December 06, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
i've seen folks dump ash trays at red lights

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #310 on: December 06, 2013, 11:19:34 AM »
 :censored: that refuse to move out of the :censored: left lane when they are driving 50 miles under the posted speed limit on the :censored: freeway when there is snow on the road... making the :censored: freeway a slalom for us that have AWD/4WD vehicles that have a bit more traction and can drive a tad faster!  MOVE THE :censored: OVER!!!!!  Flashers... Hazard lights... those are not supposed to be used while you are driving down the freeway @ 20mph in the left lane, :censored: head!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I feel better now...  Can't wait for summer...  8)   
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #311 on: December 06, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »
Now go easy on my boys and girls but as someone who used to smoke.... if there was a place or way to put them out then they would end up in that place instead of going out the window. In other words, if someone was going to stub out a butt in an ashtray, then it is virtually certain that that person would not then take that butt and chuck it outside; he / she would just drop it in the place where he/ she stubbed it out. So cigarette butts getting tossed out the window unlit is not likely.

As to tossing them out the window.... well, that is just nasty, evil and kinda' gross I guess, even back when I used to do it (easy, easy, I can explain.... maybe). Now in my own vehicles, I always used the ashtray for butts (although the actual ashes did usually go out the window but hey, that is not really making much of a mess IMO). But in rental cars or when (gasp and wait for it....) on the bike, there was no place to put the butts. ?? Of course as a responsible human I should have brought some kind of ashtray with me but the fact is that I did not. Sorry to all those in my wake.

Now that I do not smoke but have successfully remained a very much NOT reformed smoker (you can still smoke at MY house, I will give you an ashtray), I guess I take a bit of pity on the poor smokers out there. True they are making a mess and behaving irresponsibly just as I did sometimes but let's face it, it is a relatively small mess and not the cause of world pollution IMO. And those of us old enough to do this often grew up in an era where tossing stuff was socially acceptable and we just did not know any better. I know that is not an excuse for everything / anything but I am just putting out perhaps a slightly more generous view of what is poor behavior.

But anyway, I do not smoke anymore, do not condone smoker's bad behavior but perhaps I just do not view it as atrocious. And in the end, smoking is definitely on the wane due mostly to the great social pressure against it, very high cost (brought on by extreme taxes, brought on by the socially unacceptability of smoking along with the resultant health care costs) and health risks. So I think the problem will sort of taper out over time.

And while I am on this topic- the reason I quit was so I could ride time limited, long distance events on a motorcycle. I could smoke on the bike- no problem. I could even 'spark one up' on the bike- again, no problem. I could ah..... get rid of the 'smoking residue' while riding. But what I could NOT do was smoke on the bike.... in the rain. So stopping every 20, 30 minutes and finding a covered area to have a smoke would have prevented me from riding in any reasonably timed events simply because there is not time to squeeze all those smoking stops (yeah, that just did not sound right) into a given ride. The health, cost and social benefits are all great, as is the freedom I am now enjoying for the first time as an adult (it is really tough being an addict and consumes an amazingly gigantic proportion of your life looking for the next time and place where you can service that addiction) but the thing that really made me quit was motorcycle riding- go figure.

Brian

They should at least put them out.  ::)

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2013, 11:25:16 AM »
That's only 'cause dumping them at green lights makes the ashes fly all around inside the car....

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

i've seen folks dump ash trays at red lights
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #313 on: December 06, 2013, 12:01:36 PM »
What gets me about the at night thing, the sudden shower of sparks, startles me as I am not sure if it is say a muffler.  Not happy about it in the summer on a dry day either.
Back in the '80s a peave I had was smokers using my spit can as an ashtray, just flat out stinks.  Fixed that problem by using their ashtrays as spit cups :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #314 on: December 06, 2013, 12:13:37 PM »
Now go easy on my boys and girls but as someone who used to smoke.... if there was a place or way to put them out then they would end up in that place instead of going out the window. In other words, if someone was going to stub out a butt in an ashtray, then it is virtually certain that that person would not then take that butt and chuck it outside; he / she would just drop it in the place where he/ she stubbed it out. So cigarette butts getting tossed out the window unlit is not likely.

As to tossing them out the window.... well, that is just nasty, evil and kinda' gross I guess, even back when I used to do it (easy, easy, I can explain.... maybe). Now in my own vehicles, I always used the ashtray for butts (although the actual ashes did usually go out the window but hey, that is not really making much of a mess IMO). But in rental cars or when (gasp and wait for it....) on the bike, there was no place to put the butts. ?? Of course as a responsible human I should have brought some kind of ashtray with me but the fact is that I did not. Sorry to all those in my wake.

Now that I do not smoke but have successfully remained a very much NOT reformed smoker (you can still smoke at MY house, I will give you an ashtray), I guess I take a bit of pity on the poor smokers out there. True they are making a mess and behaving irresponsibly just as I did sometimes but let's face it, it is a relatively small mess and not the cause of world pollution IMO. And those of us old enough to do this often grew up in an era where tossing stuff was socially acceptable and we just did not know any better. I know that is not an excuse for everything / anything but I am just putting out perhaps a slightly more generous view of what is poor behavior.

But anyway, I do not smoke anymore, do not condone smoker's bad behavior but perhaps I just do not view it as atrocious. And in the end, smoking is definitely on the wane due mostly to the great social pressure against it, very high cost (brought on by extreme taxes, brought on by the socially unacceptability of smoking along with the resultant health care costs) and health risks. So I think the problem will sort of taper out over time.

And while I am on this topic- the reason I quit was so I could ride time limited, long distance events on a motorcycle. I could smoke on the bike- no problem. I could even 'spark one up' on the bike- again, no problem. I could ah..... get rid of the 'smoking residue' while riding. But what I could NOT do was smoke on the bike.... in the rain. So stopping every 20, 30 minutes and finding a covered area to have a smoke would have prevented me from riding in any reasonably timed events simply because there is not time to squeeze all those smoking stops (yeah, that just did not sound right) into a given ride. The health, cost and social benefits are all great, as is the freedom I am now enjoying for the first time as an adult (it is really tough being an addict and consumes an amazingly gigantic proportion of your life looking for the next time and place where you can service that addiction) but the thing that really made me quit was motorcycle riding- go figure.

Brian

No Brian, it is not a small mess at all...

"It is estimated that several trillion cigarette butts are littered worldwide every year. That's billions of cigarettes flicked, one at a time, on our sidewalks, beaches, nature trails, gardens, and other public places every single day. In fact, cigarettes are the most littered item in America and the world. Cigarette filters are made of cellulose acetate tow, NOT COTTON, and they can take decades to degrade. Not only does cigarette litter ruin even the most picturesque setting, but the toxic residue in cigarette filters is damaging to the environment, and littered butts cause numerous fires every year, some of them fatal. "

"Cigarette butts also present a threat to wildlife. Cigarette filters have been found in the stomachs of fish, birds, whales and other marine creatures who mistake them for food ... Composed of cellulose acetate, a form of plastic, cigarette butts can persist in the environment as long as other forms of plastic.

There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding cigarette butt litter. The biggest myth is that cigarette filters are biodegradable. In fact, cigarette butts are not biodegradable in the sense that most people think of the word. The acetate (plastic) filters can take many years to decompose. Smokers may not realize that their actions have such a lasting, negative impact on the environment.

This myth has been perpetuated not just by the wishful thinking of many smokers, but also by the cigarette companies, who have taken great pains to keep their customers in the dark on this issue. It is very common for highly littered items such as soda cans, snack wrappers, and fast food containers to have a simple "Please Don't Litter" message. You won't find such a message on cigarette packs. Although our contacts in the industry are at a loss as to why they can't take this simple step, our best guess is that they would prefer to leave their customers blissfully ignorant. Maybe they think that people will smoke fewer cigarettes if they have to be responsible for disposing of them. We think they ought to give their customers the benefit of the doubt. Smoking and littering do not have to be synonymous, as many smokers have proven by example.

What happens after that butt gets casually flicked onto the street, nature trail, or beach? Typically wind and rain carry the cigarette into the water supply, where the toxic chemicals the cigarette filter was designed to trap leak out into aquatic ecosystems, threatening the quality of the water and many aquatic lifeforms. Cigarette butts may seem small, but with several trillion butts littered every year, the toxic chemicals add up!

The best way to educate the public about this serious environmental problem is to start with people you know. If someone you know litters their cigarettes, just point them to this site. Tell them if they visit the site, you won't bug them again, but don't let them remain blissfully ignorant! If you really feel uncomfortable addressing the issue head on, check out our anonymous e-mail page, which sends a friendly notice about the importance of proper cigarette butt disposal. Talking over the problem in person is more effective, but an anonymous communication is much better than none at all. "

I always tell folks where they can put their butts when I see them throw 'em out of their windows!    >:(

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #315 on: December 06, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »
Well, I meant on the scale of all things. Again, I am not disagreeing with any of you folks who say it is bad, disgusting, etc.- in fact, I agree. I am merely saying that of all the messes we (humans) make, I do not believe the messes from smoking are the big ones. Of course smoking IS a totally unnecessary thing and of course that makes it worse but having been one of the seriously addicted people, it does not seem like any kind of choice is available at the time.

As far as your voicing your opinion, that becomes part of the overall social pressure NOT to smoke, which in the end will have positive results I think. Certainly there is a lot less smoking going on now than there was 40 years ago and while there are still a surprisingly high number of people who smoke in the US, they smoke a lot less overall than the same number of smokers did years ago if for no other reason that there are far less places available in which to smoke.

Brian

No Brian, it is not a small mess at all...

<snip>

I always tell folks where they can put their butts when I see them throw 'em out of their windows!    >:(

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #316 on: December 16, 2013, 05:57:07 PM »

C, you got your wish. The 'Wise Men of ILL-inois' have decided three butts on the ground is a class 4 felony....good for $25,000 fine and 1-3 in the state prison system. Out f :censored: ing standing.  >:(

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #317 on: December 16, 2013, 08:22:40 PM »
Lexus December to Remember commercials - like I can afford to give someone a Lexus for Christmas  :(
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #318 on: December 16, 2013, 09:22:48 PM »
Knowing that tonight is my last night with my baby :'( 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #319 on: December 17, 2013, 04:31:08 AM »
Knowing that tonight is my last night with my baby :'(

:grouphug: