Author Topic: Metal roof and mad as hell!  (Read 37285 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Metal roof and mad as hell!
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2015, 05:16:21 AM »
Here's your chance to be famous....http://catchacontractor.com/#application

Have you been screwed over by a bad contractor?

Know someone who has?

Did you pay a contractor to work on your home or yard only to have him screw up the job and abandon it?

Adam Carolla and the “Catch a Contractor” team want to help fix your construction nightmare.

“Catch a Contractor” aims to turn the table on general contractors who have done their clients wrong and help homeowners regain their dignity and their humble abodes from the clutches of crooked contractors.

If your contractor left you with sparking electrical outlets, clogged pipes, tiles popping, walls that aren’t plumb, floors that aren’t level, a leaky roof, cracking concrete, or a falling fence, and you want justice then APPLY NOW.

That's an idea!    :thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »
Yeah, the legal thing is tough because trying to quantify 'pain and suffering' is impossible and everyone has a different opinion. As long as the contractor comes through in the end, <almost> no matter how difficult or long that path is, they kinda', mostly, did fulfill their legal obligation. Of course all of this is my opinion and I am not a lawyer so.... take it for the free thought that it is.

We have evicted the bats (three of the nastier, tougher ones filed an appeal but lost on summary judgement) and cleaned up the attic, and that went pretty smoothly if not cheaply (~$3,500 and I got NOTHING for any of my precious, precious guano!). Color me a happy camper on that front. Next up is blocking off the second floor staircase so we can keep the upstairs.... disaster entirely upstairs. Then a temporary ladder or stair-set outside to the second floor where the hole has to be made so there is access to that floor without the internal staircase. The deconstruction phase it contracted and will begin in two weeks.

I had absolutely no intention of doing any of this and planned on leaving this house, feet- first, with the current roof in place. But seeing as this situation has happened, we would be foolish if we did not consider as many options as possible; the Chinese word for 'crisis' translates roughly into 'danger' and 'opportunity'. The danger part we have to deal with but there is also opportunity to alter the second floor, expand it, change the floor layout, heating / cooling and many other things. And because the rough construction has to happen anyway, and that is by far the bulk of the expense, it does become <fairly> easy to add some things. For example, I am working through a very interesting idea of putting 'blisters' (naval term, not sure what architects call them but the bulges or outward projections on the second floor of a residential building) on one or both sides of the house. The neat thing about this is that the outer part of the projection of, say, four feet, would be 'hung' by the outer walls with the roof trusses carrying the load. Residential houses are built in compression virtually exclusively; this would be a neat twist on conventional building practices, and yield a four or eight foot wider house, at least for the middle 20 feet or so (the blisters would not run full length). A chase running down both sides would further allow heating, electrical, air conditioning, domestic hot water and a pair of chimneys to run up the sides of the house fully enclosed and 'invisible' from inside or outside. So while the project itself is not desirable, it can be made to have desirable side effects and results I think. Anyway, that is what we are working through now- the finish design and what is most desirable, along with the fascinating engineering challenges some of these designs present. I really lucked out and found a structural engineer who is open to my unusual ideas on this and that is great 'cause "we've never done it like that before" really gets in the way of most of this stuff. I can do the design, modeling and calculations but as I am not a structural engineer (wrong denomination), cannot submit designs to the building dept. of my town.... but the gentleman I am working with can do so.

So the whole thing proceeds with much wariness and a fair bit of worry but also great expectations and very positive aspects.... just like most of life I guess.  ;)  And I also finally got that gouge out of the stairway bannister.... but cutting out the bannister with a recip. saw and throwing it away. This assumes the new bannister does not come pre- gouged, of course.  :rotflmao:

Brian

Brian,

Still holding in neutral (see post #51). It'll be two weeks this Friday so I'm hoping that the metal comes in next week and the roof gets completed then. I'm not holding my breath though. If the metal doesn't come in next week I'll be contacting my lawyer and then we'll see what he can do for me. I'm not sure that he can do anything at all. The contract doesn't specify how long the job may take. I was told by two different employees of this roofing company that the job would take no more than 3 days after the tear off, but that wasn't in writing.

What's going on with your house project?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2015, 04:34:45 AM »
Brian,

Wow, your project sounds HUGE! Are you anticipating that it gets completed before the snow flies?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2015, 06:22:38 AM »
No. I would like to have a weatherproof shell up before snow but just the rough carpentry, a shingled roof) for the weather) but nothing inside but an echo chamber :-)  Outside will be Tyvek or equivalent on the upper floor.

We will know much better in a couple of weeks what is going to / able to happen. Have to see inside the structure before making any final decisions on just what we are going to do.

Brian

Brian,

Wow, your project sounds HUGE! Are you anticipating that it gets completed before the snow flies?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2015, 06:43:50 AM »
Brian, you might want to start a new thread for this project so that we can follow along and commiserate (word of the day) with you.  Sounds really interesting.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2015, 08:37:14 AM »
Brian, you might want to start a new thread for this project so that we can follow along and commiserate (word of the day) with you.  Sounds really interesting.

MUCH more interesting when we get to watch without having to open our checkbooks.   ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »
Yep, my fault and I apologize for driving this topic sideways.  :-[

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2015, 02:22:32 PM »
No fault inferred.  I'm just thinking it might be more of a Haroldo type thread, if you know what I mean.  They've made tv shows out of less..   I'd submit it to DIY or HGTV.  Nothing to lose.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:05:10 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2015, 03:50:47 PM »
HA! My wife wrote "This Old House" but never received a response.

I think I will start a new thread though....

Brian

No fault inferred.  I'm just thinking it might be more of a Haroldo type thread, if you know what I mean.  They've made tv shows out of less..   I'd submit it to DIY or HGTV.  Nothing to lose.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2015, 12:00:54 AM »

I think I will start a new thread though....

OH you guys!  ::) ...always letting max' get away with shirking his moderator duties. If he doesn't split it off and move it for you he's going to forget how to do it. Then next he'll quit being a moderator and we'll have to go back to picking on V'Jim.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2015, 04:41:06 AM »
 >:( ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2015, 04:44:17 AM »
OH you guys!  ::) ...always letting max' get away with shirking his moderator duties. If he doesn't split it off and move it for you he's going to forget how to do it. Then next he'll quit being a moderator and we'll have to go back to picking on V'Jim.

You mean that we're not sposed to be picking on Jim?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2015, 06:13:21 AM »
 >:( >:(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »
>:( >:(

Are you mad that we're not picking on you or that we are?    ???

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »

I'm sure he prefers  :hail: :hail: :hail: 

...and speaking of hail, you get much there in Chi-town far west Conrad? I don't remember much of it when I lived up there but with global...I better not say that...we'll end up with a locked thread....hmmm...with the changing times do you get much? (easy boys, I mean hail).

Here in Texas I've had the insurance company buy me two roofs so far, now they've raised the deductibles so much (just for roofs) that everyone tries to make them last forever. 15-20 years ago everyone would pray for hail when their roofs got old, now not so much.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2015, 07:36:40 PM »

;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2015, 05:02:01 AM »
I'm sure he prefers  :hail: :hail: :hail: 

...and speaking of hail, you get much there in Chi-town far west Conrad? I don't remember much of it when I lived up there but with global...I better not say that...we'll end up with a locked thread....hmmm...with the changing times do you get much? (easy boys, I mean hail).

Here in Texas I've had the insurance company buy me two roofs so far, now they've raised the deductibles so much (just for roofs) that everyone tries to make them last forever. 15-20 years ago everyone would pray for hail when their roofs got old, now not so much.

We get some occasionally but not very often. Normally the large storms go around us here for some reason, not always though. We've had hail but nothing really large. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2015, 10:23:11 AM »
The roofing company is here to finish up my roof.

5 weeks for a three day job...    :o

They had to order more metal and the owner was bitching to me that he had to pay another set-up fee for the 'extra' metal. Who's fault is that?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2015, 04:20:14 PM »
A wonder if the contractor had to prepay to the supplier?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2015, 05:55:21 PM »
Personally, I think it is the English standard measuring system.... I mean let's face it, anybody having to work with feet, inches and fractions is bound to have trouble. It starts off poorly with 'A pint's a pound, the whole world round' except for the places where it is not, of course. Which is why, of course, C-14 fobs are manufactured to metric units of wonderfulness.

Best of luck with your roof....

Brian

The roofing company is here to finish up my roof.

5 weeks for a three day job...    :o

They had to order more metal and the owner was bitching to me that he had to pay another set-up fee for the 'extra' metal. Who's fault is that?