Author Topic: Metal roof and mad as hell!  (Read 37283 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Metal roof and mad as hell!
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2015, 04:38:37 AM »
A wonder if the contractor had to prepay to the supplier?

I have no doubt.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2015, 04:41:39 AM »
Personally, I think it is the English standard measuring system.... I mean let's face it, anybody having to work with feet, inches and fractions is bound to have trouble. It starts off poorly with 'A pint's a pound, the whole world round' except for the places where it is not, of course. Which is why, of course, C-14 fobs are manufactured to metric units of wonderfulness.

Best of luck with your roof....

Brian

Thanks Brian. The installer is coming back today and he claims that the roof will be done by noon. He even brought matching paint that came from the manufacturer to fix the areas that he scratched.

Metric or not.

Hey, I cut it twice and it's still too short!

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2015, 05:06:40 AM »
Hmmmmm, metal roof issues......metal brake line issues......coincidence?  I think not.  I'm thinking you should stay away from anything metal at this point.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2015, 05:10:26 AM »
Hmmmmm, metal roof issues......metal brake line issues......coincidence?  I think not.  I'm thinking you should stay away from anything metal at this point.

Even Connie?    :o

I prolly won't have to worry over much about salt on the roof at least

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2015, 07:52:49 AM »
Even Connie?    :o

I prolly won't have to worry over much about salt on the roof at least

And hopefully not on the Connie either!!
Salt/chemicals/beet juice has become Mn DOTs preferred method of snow removal over plowing. I wish the environmental extremists would jump on the bandwagon to get them to stop on the premise it's polluting the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" waters (which it is). Salt never goes away, just keeps building up. Vehicles really take a beating up here.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2015, 06:38:45 AM »
So did it get done? What was the final outcome?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2015, 06:49:16 AM »
So did it get done? What was the final outcome?

Yep, it FINALLY got done. A 2 to 3 day job turned into a 5 week ordeal instead. The installer was able to take his time (this time) and fixed all of his screw ups (which shouldn't have happened in the first place). He actually did a fantastic job of the flashing around my chimney. I'll snap some pics if anyone is interested? I already have pics of the screw ups.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2015, 11:02:17 AM »
Without pics, it didn't happen.  8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2015, 12:51:56 PM »
Glad to hear it had a happy ending Conrad. And in a while, the roof will still be on the house while the pain of the install fades. And it sounds like you did not suffer any other damage due to the roof being opened to weather- which is a fantastic thing. As bad as things are, they can always be made worse when it rains.... in the kitchen.

By all means, please do share some photos. I find steel roofs interesting although they are pretty rare around here (southern New England).

Brian

Yep, it FINALLY got done. A 2 to 3 day job turned into a 5 week ordeal instead. The installer was able to take his time (this time) and fixed all of his screw ups (which shouldn't have happened in the first place). He actually did a fantastic job of the flashing around my chimney. I'll snap some pics if anyone is interested? I already have pics of the screw ups.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2015, 07:14:07 AM »
Thanks Brian.

I'll go up top and get some pics of the finished roof. I'll show y'all the screw ups too.

Now that the flashing is all done around the chimney I'll be installing brick panels on the chimney. It's not really a chimney, it's a chase around the woodstove vent that I made to look like a chimney. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2015, 07:17:16 AM »
Send the drone up.  :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2015, 07:18:42 AM »
Send the drone up.  :)

Won't do any good. My RC helicopters don't have cameras.  :)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2015, 10:59:06 AM »
HA! Funny world- I have a brick chimney I plan on replacing with a wooden chase when it has to be raised (new roof will be considerably taller). In other words, I want my chimney to look like a chase and you are going the other way.... :-)

Brian

Thanks Brian.

I'll go up top and get some pics of the finished roof. I'll show y'all the screw ups too.

Now that the flashing is all done around the chimney I'll be installing brick panels on the chimney. It's not really a chimney, it's a chase around the woodstove vent that I made to look like a chimney.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2015, 07:33:29 AM »
HA! Funny world- I have a brick chimney I plan on replacing with a wooden chase when it has to be raised (new roof will be considerably taller). In other words, I want my chimney to look like a chase and you are going the other way.... :-)

Brian

Bizarro World?    :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2015, 05:09:26 PM »
ran across this gem, thought it appropriate...
enjoy...
https://youtu.be/cz4dgkiaezA

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2015, 08:15:50 PM »
I like those old tv shows.  None of this shaky cam s :censored: t.  Reminded me of Ma and Pa Kettle.  Sometimes we pile into my truck and go to Fredericksburg and it's Ma and Pa Kettle go to town..  And yes this has nothing to do with roofs.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2015, 07:29:07 AM »
ran across this gem, thought it appropriate...
enjoy...
https://youtu.be/cz4dgkiaezA

Well now, that was entertaining! Thanks Rich!

My salesman wasn't nearly as attractive as that (black and white) blonde though.   >:(  I am glad that he didn't try to kiss me though.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2015, 06:30:06 AM »
It's been a couple months now, can we get updates?

Conrad,
How's the roof holding up? 

Brian,
What happened to your "housing adventure"?

Thanks!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2015, 08:04:03 AM »
On my end, mostly waiting.... waiting for drawings / plans so I can draw permits and begin. The top of the building has been reinforced more than sufficiently to withstand any <reasonable> wind or weather, not sure about any record amounts of snow though. Still hoping, probably foolishly now, to have a new structure up before Jan 2016 (note: not anywhere near completed or even sided or shingled, just in place and dried- in).

Brian

Conrad,

Brian,

Thanks!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2015, 04:35:01 AM »

Conrad,

Brian,

Thanks!

So far so good. We've had our first snow of the season last week, ~10" of very heavy very wet snow. The snow is gone now but we weren't home for the thaw so I don't know if the snow slid off in big sheets or not.