Author Topic: Hawaii votes to allow motorcycle shoulder passing  (Read 5454 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
Re: Hawaii votes to allow motorcycle shoulder passing
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »
I've only ridden in Arizona for about 35 years now so I may not know as much as others about riding in the heat. At times, I find it quite uncomfortable when stuck in traffic and the temperature is well in excess of 100 degrees. Maybe it's just me....

I also spend a lot of time on the Left Coast. Been there several hundred times over the years, both riding and driving. Usually riding. I'm sure I have thousands of miles splitting lanes and for the vast majority of those miles, have usually been given more than enough room to split lanes safely. I can say without reservation that in all but a few instances, the a$$holes that crowded me had OTHER THAN CALIFORNIA PLATES. Usually AZ or NV tags.

Please don't go on about special privileges. Unless, of course, you bring up the 1 ton extended cab, 8 foot bed dually with just the driver in it that takes up as much room as at least 4 motorcycles. Or the motorhome that takes up as much as 8. (Unless it's towing a huge trailer then it's up to about 12 motorcycles worth of road.) Or special parking for "Low Emitting, Fuel Efficient Vehicles" that motorcycles are prohibited from using. Or all of the Handicapped spots being used by people, and I use that term loosely, too daggum fat to walk to the store. Or bicycle lanes. Or pedestrians crossing the street with the "Don't Walk" sign flashing while they mess up traffic. I could go on and on, but I digress.

If you don't want to split lanes, don't. No one is forcing you to do so. Don't do anything that you don't feel safe doing. I know good and well that every time I ride my motorcycle may be my last. I accept that. If you're going to ride,  you're gonna go down. Believe it. Motorcycling it self is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, and/or incompetence. Of the motorcyclist AND those around him. Riding at a snail's pace in traffic readily lends itself to inattention. I have never been anything but ON TOP OF MY GAME  when splitting lanes. Or riding fast. That's just me.

All of that aside, I would much rather split lanes than ride on the shoulder.

:goodpost:  :thumbs:
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 11:04:55 AM »
In VA there is a lobbying effort afoot to allow MC to use the shoulder in a traffic stopped condition to get to the nearest exit.  We'll be lucky if that gets through.  Using the shoulder now during stopped traffic for any vehicle is a reckless driving ticket.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
In VA there is a lobbying effort afoot to allow MC to use the shoulder in a traffic stopped condition to get to the nearest exit.

Seems like a reasonable minimum to me.

We'll be lucky if that gets through.  Using the shoulder now during stopped traffic for any vehicle is a reckless driving ticket.

Yeah, I will risk it in (and have) the few times necessary to prevent heat stroke.  Turned on emergency flashers and crawled at something like 15 MPH.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2018, 04:42:58 PM »
In VA there is a lobbying effort afoot to allow MC to use the shoulder in a traffic stopped condition to get to the nearest exit.  We'll be lucky if that gets through.  Using the shoulder now during stopped traffic for any vehicle is a reckless driving ticket.

when I left Va. in '11, they still had a law prohibiting 2 bikes in one lane, side by side at any time, or EVEN pulling up side by side at an intersection...

I don't recall that changing either, but I don't care about Va. laws anymore...

they only ticket those they wish to, when they wish to do it...
I almost got a ticket because I refused to remove my factory installed "logo sunscreen" from my Mazda truck...
like this one...

redunkulous laws... forced on folks by cellphone using LEO's.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2018, 09:52:36 PM »
when I left Va. in '11, they still had a law prohibiting 2 bikes in one lane, side by side at any time

Which to me, seems very sensible/logical/reasonable.  And even if not the law, I would always stagger because it is much safer.

But this tidbit is interesting:

"two motorcyclists riding side by side in the same lane [...] was legalized by the General Assembly of Virginia in 2012."  THAT I didn't know.  I still won't do it, however.

or EVEN pulling up side by side at an intersection...

THAT I have *never* heard of before.  I have never, ever seen bike pairs not coming to an eventual stop together, side-by-side.  First person stops, next person then pulls next to and stops.  If there are more than 2, then the 3rd person stops behind the 1st, and 4th behind the 2nd, etc.  However, I would NEVER do that to an unrelated motorcyclist I didn't know and wasn't originally riding with (like one I just happen to encounter when riding alone); I would stop behind him.

I searched for information, and the laws seem unclear.  I then read the entire VA motorcycle handbook
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv2.pdf  and it says NOTHING about how to stop in a group!

But, by extension, if two motorcycles can ride abreast legally (called "lane splitting"), then of course they can stop next to each other.  Filtering (riding between cars) is absolutely illegal in most states, including VA.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 05:51:34 AM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2018, 04:04:23 AM »
Which to me, seems very sensible/logical/reasonable.  And even if not the law, I would always stagger because it is much safer.

But this tidbit is interesting:

"two motorcyclists riding side by side in the same lane [...] was legalized by the General Assembly of Virginia in 2012."  THAT I didn't know.  I still won't do it, however.

THAT I have *never* heard of before.  I have never, ever seen bike pairs not coming to an eventual stop together, side-by-side.  First person stops, next person then pulls next to and stops.  If there are more than 2, then the 3rd person stops behind the 1st, and 4th behind the 2nd, etc.  However, I would NEVER do that to an unrelated motorcyclist I didn't know and wasn't originally riding with (like one I just happen to encounter when riding alone); I would stop behind him.

I searched for information, and the laws seem unclear.  I then read the entire VA motorcycle handbook
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv2.pdf  and it says NOTHING about how to stop in a group!

But, by extension, if two motorcycles can ride abreast legally (called "lane splitting"), then of course they can stop next to each other.  Filtering (riding between cars) is absolutely illegal in almost all states, including VA.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2018, 05:56:34 AM »
That diagram is actually "filtering" (yes, the definitions are all over the map and vary greatly), but it shows that it is only actually, positively legal in 1 state- CA.  In 12 other states it is "ambiguous", so you very well could be ticketed.  In theory, you have the right to do most anything not specifically prohibited by law, so you shouldn't need a law stating filtering is legal for it to be legal.  Of course, in theory, the Federal government is supposed to have only the powers listed in the Constitution, but we see how that has worked out.  In any case, there are lots of traffic laws that contain wording like "safe and proper" or "reasonable" and such, which leave interpretation completely open.

I imagine "splitting" (riding abreast), on the other hand, is legal in most states, but not sure (and unable to find any information)...

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
That diagram is actually "filtering" (yes, the definitions are all over the map and vary greatly), but it shows that it is only actually, positively legal in 1 state- CA.  In 12 other states it is "ambiguous", so you very well could be ticketed.  In theory, you have the right to do most anything not specifically prohibited by law, so you shouldn't need a law stating filtering is legal for it to be legal.  Of course, in theory, the Federal government is supposed to have only the powers listed in the Constitution, but we see how that has worked out.  In any case, there are lots of traffic laws that contain wording like "safe and proper" or "reasonable" and such, which leave interpretation completely open.

I imagine "splitting" (riding abreast), on the other hand, is legal in most states, but not sure (and unable to find any information)...

If this quote in the article below is accurate, it is now legal everywhere except VT.

"Virginia will become the 49th state to accommodate two-abreast riding. Vermont remains the only state to prohibit the practice."

Here is a link to the article I pulled it from.

https://patch.com/virginia/fredericksburg/new-law-lets-motorcyclists-ride-side-by-side
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2018, 09:50:47 AM »
If this quote in the article below is accurate, it is now legal everywhere except VT.

Good article/find.

I have been riding for something like 22 years now and I have never seen pairs stop behind each other, nor trained to do so, or seen anything that said one should!  Has anyone reading this thread heard of such a thing?  I knew it was not legal nor safe to DRIVE abreast, but nothing about it being illegal to come to a stop that way.

I guess it was just not enforced or ambiguous and/and generally not addressed in training or manuals.  Learn something new all the time.  I am glad it is corrected now (since 2012).

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2018, 03:55:34 PM »

"Virginia will become the 49th state to accommodate two-abreast riding. Vermont remains the only state to prohibit the practice."

Here is a link to the article I pulled it from.

https://patch.com/virginia/fredericksburg/new-law-lets-motorcyclists-ride-side-by-side

well, the timing of the passage for the law change, occurred just after I moved back to Ohio...

I do know the whole ridiculous law was being voraciously opposed to by my attourney's firm, as they spearheaded numerous law changes in the last 15+ years... extremely good attorneys, that cared about motorcyclists more than just making a $$$$ on it.
https://motorcyclelawgroup.com/

Tom's brother Joe, represented me in another case, and in talking with Tom, he did tell me they were actively pushing for the 'two bikes / one lane' repeal...
that was in 2010-2011.

they did push thru the 'm/c allowed in H.O.V. lane' law revision, which was another stupid restriction on m/c riders travelling the D.C. corridor on Rt 95.

I do know for a fact tho, that prior to my move, it WAS a moving violation to be paired up at a stop light/sign/intersection; I was sitting in the right half of my lane (left lane, for left turn on arrow signal) at a light, waiting for a clear shot to turn left, correctly positioned, and had some Pirate roll up next to me on the left, so he could take advantage of the turn when I turned, simultaneously... and when we both turned, about 200 feet down the road we were stopped by a local LEO, who was sitting at the intersection..watching it all happen..while talking on his cell phone....(who by the way, turned on his lights, and siren, just so he could run the red light he was sitting at, to catch us, and ticket us..)..

I talked my way out of it, as I explained "I did nothing wrong... ticket the other guy....I don't know him from Shirley Temple, and as you clearly watched him roll up in place, and complete the turn, and pursued to accommodate, it's a no brainer", which he promptly did... and I lucked out...  I guess being fully geared up, and older, and on a quiet proper motorcycle may have played in also...

I've never been a proponent of side by side riding, even here in Ohio, and I can count the number of times where after stopping behind someone I was riding with, slowly rolled up adjacent to let them know something, but never pulled away from a light simultaneously. I still stop behind a stopped rider, set off to the side so I can see their face and eyes in their mirror (so I know they can see me), every time I come upon this scenario.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2018, 10:59:39 PM »
One thing about the proposed Hawaii law change... it looks like the permission is to take the shoulder to the nearest exit anyhow.   
 i.e. not permission to go bombing down the right side of other drivers for mile and miles.  It's actually a nice attempt to allow motorcycles to get the hell of a jammed road.  Their roadways are fairly narrow if I remember correctly.  I hope the proposal passes.  It's a move in a good direction.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »

I do know for a fact tho, that prior to my move, it WAS a moving violation to be paired up at a stop light/sign/intersection; I was sitting in the right half of my lane (left lane, for left turn on arrow signal) at a light, waiting for a clear shot to turn left, correctly positioned, and had some Pirate roll up next to me on the left, so he could take advantage of the turn when I turned, simultaneously... and when we both turned, about 200 feet down the road we were stopped by a local LEO, who was sitting at the intersection..watching it all happen..while talking on his cell phone....(who by the way, turned on his lights, and siren, just so he could run the red light he was sitting at, to catch us, and ticket us..)..

I talked my way out of it, as I explained "I did nothing wrong... ticket the other guy....I don't know him from Shirley Temple, and as you clearly watched him roll up in place, and complete the turn, and pursued to accommodate, it's a no brainer", which he promptly did... and I lucked out...  I guess being fully geared up, and older, and on a quiet proper motorcycle may have played in also...

Aside that I think it a bit of a chickensh*t stop and stupid law, the LEO would be a fool and most likely out of policy not to hit his lights & siren to clear an intersection.  Most LEOs prepare/expect some riders to blast off and burn them, so they tend to jet after bikes harder than cars.  I know I’ve been burned more times than I can remember making stops on bikes in a patrol car.  Less so as a motor officer, but even then, it wasn’t uncommon.  In this case, he could simply have been trying to get to the “violators” quickly.  Of course, I wasn’t there.  I’m just offering a different POV based on my experience.

And though I wouldn’t use them on duty, out here LEOs are exempt from the cell phone law.  I didn’t like that exemption, though, because it was only supposed to be during the course of actual law enforcement duties and I’ve seen countless LEOs b.s.ing on the phone.  For me, it seemed hypocritical.  I did have some success a few times bypassing dispatch and talking to a witness reporting various offenses directly to intercept a drunk/reckless/dangerous driver.

I've never been a proponent of side by side riding, even here in Ohio, and I can count the number of times where after stopping behind someone I was riding with, slowly rolled up adjacent to let them know something, but never pulled away from a light simultaneously. I still stop behind a stopped rider, set off to the side so I can see their face and eyes in their mirror (so I know they can see me), every time I come upon this scenario.

It takes a lot of practice and faith in the other person to ride side by side.  I even hesitate when a rider moves over to the right wheel track as a catch him/her from behind.  We’ve always trained side by side; however, when the road narrows in the twisties, we back off and stagger. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.