Author Topic: TPS Warranty Headache Albuquerque  (Read 21085 times)

Offline Skins

TPS Warranty Headache Albuquerque
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »

I am not having any luck getting a warranty replacement on my 2008 C14.

I have received nothing but grief trying to get the TPS replaced under warranty for the LOW BATTERY warning when cold issue common on the 2008 C14's. The Albuquerque dealer R & S West http://teamrands.com/ told me three times they would look into it and call Kawasaki but they always have some excuse for not doing it. Yesterday they stated they could not duplicate error. It was 81 degrees! Of course it would not duplicate. They are either intentionally screwing with me or they are simply incompetent. Either way, they look bad and I look bad for allowing it.
Can a customer call Kawasaki directly?
Is there a better dealer recommended for the ABQ area?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: TPS Warranty Headache Albuquerque
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
Kawasaki customer service number (949)-770-0400 then 1, then 5     Don't hold your breath if Mark answers, though.  You may want to find a cold evening and take a picture of the display with your phone to show them or find another dealer.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
Apparently Kawasaki is getting sick of replacing these things.  During the winter, I took pictures of the dash on my bike flashing the TPS low battery warning, front and rear.   Took the pictures to the dealer I bought the bike from, showed the service manager, he called Kawasaki, they said, yep, it's a known problem, we'll replace 'em.  The service manager suggested I wait until I needed tires as the new tire install would be on Kawasaki since he had to remove the tires to get to the sensors.  A couple of months later, I ordered new PR3s through the dealer, made an appointment with the service manager, reminded him about the sensors.  The parts guy got the sensors in stock, we're good to go right?  After the mechanic got the tires off my bike, the service manager calls Kawasaki to get an authorization code (he already has the sensors) Kawasaki asks him when the sensors are malfunctioning, I tell him, when it's cold, Kawasaki tells him "that's normal, don't replace the sensors."  So really, Kawasaki screwed the dealer and me, I normally take the wheels off my bike and carry them to the dealer, which is cheaper for me, but I had dropped the bike off since Kawasaki was paying.  I was out labor for wheel removal, which my dealer later refunded, but I still have the old sensors.

I am not having any luck getting a warranty replacement on my 2008 C14.

I have received nothing but grief trying to get the TPS replaced under warranty for the LOW BATTERY warning when cold issue common on the 2008 C14's. The Albuquerque dealer R & S West http://teamrands.com/ told me three times they would look into it and call Kawasaki but they always have some excuse for not doing it. Yesterday they stated they could not duplicate error. It was 81 degrees! Of course it would not duplicate. They are either intentionally screwing with me or they are simply incompetent. Either way, they look bad and I look bad for allowing it.
Can a customer call Kawasaki directly?
Is there a better dealer recommended for the ABQ area?

Offline Skins

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 02:16:33 PM »
That is not encouraging. I must have bought one of the "warm weather only" bikes.

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »
How long does your sensor stay inoperative? A few miles or a few minutes?

Bob

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 02:39:42 PM »
Yeah, Joe really got screwed on that deal. I still feel bad for him over that! My dealer did exactly what Joe tried to do.
For the OP, I would find any other dealer, if that dealer comes up with excuses not to even try! Obviously he has no interest in being bothered by someone who has a problem. I hope you didn't buy this bike from him!
 Someone has suggested a class action suit against Kawasaki. "This is normal" should never be an excuse. If the system does not operate at times. It isn't working! I consider it to be a safety issue.
 If your concentrating on the stupid display that has been totally taken over by the LOW BATTERY warning. Your not fully concentrating on your riding. And the fact is that almost nobody is going to pull over to try to reset that stupid friggin' display. So they are going to try to reset it manually (if they even know how). Which is very difficult at best with winter gloves on. And pretty much impossible in the dark, which is when mine happened the most (leaving for work early in the morning).
 So IMO, this is a safety issue! As much as I really do like the TPS system when it works. It again demonstrates that Kawasaki comes out with a system that is far from perfect. Then rather than make it work as intended as it's suppose to. They now are going to say that it's suppose to do that. Just like the KIPASS, unnecessary technology that Kawasaki now doesn't want to stand behind because it's going to cost them money, like the KIPASS debacle. Oh wait, isn't this system part of the KIPASS system?  :o
 Now comes the best part. Customer Service with Mark! Yeah I know Customer Service and Mark in the same sentence!  :rotflmao:

Bob

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 02:44:55 PM »

That of course would probably have to depend on factors like, the ambient temperature, age of the sensors themselves and the speed and aggressiveness he would be riding. It would probably change depending on any of the above changing. One thing is was for sure with mine, as they got older, they got worse. It started failing around freezing. By almost 3 years old, they wouldn't work when you would start out in the 50's!  :o

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 02:47:50 PM »
Go Cap'n Bob, GO!

;D

Gee Bob, maybe you could sell your C-14 and get out from under such a.... oh wait, I forgot, you already did that.

Brian

<snipped Bob's rant>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Skins

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 04:07:52 PM »

As Cap'n Bob suggested, temperature is a factor. When it's in the thirties, typically, 10 to 15 minutes. That's how long it takes to get to work on surface streets. Sometimes the false error clears by then... sometimes not.
Pushing the buttons while moving is right up there with texting while driving. You may get away with it, but it's a stupid choice jeopardizing safety.

Offline HndaTch627

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »
i feel bad for you guys, my dealer not only warrantied my sensors with no questions asked, they also went above and beyond and replaced the battery door bolt that snapped off last year that i drilled and tapped.

They also threw my tires on for $45.

The tech was happy because he got paid 1/2 hour to drill and tap a bolt he didn't have to and also got paid for the sensors and another 1/2 hour to replace the tires. 

My dealer = WIN!

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »
I've got an appointment this week to get my sensors replaced and tires changed in the process.  So far, everything seems good to go.  The service manager is cool with me having the tires replace while they do the warranty work for the sensors.  I really hope they don't get my bike apart and then suddenly find out that Kawi won't authorize it.  From what the service manager told me, he called Kawi for the authorization already.  I'll post the end result on here when it's done.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Bob

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 05:30:55 PM »
Go Cap'n Bob, GO!

;D

Gee Bob, maybe you could sell your C-14 and get out from under such a.... oh wait, I forgot, you already did that.

Brian

Not a Rant! Just an observation!
 Besides, Kawasaki replaced mine, so it would have probably worked for a little while until the next problem with them. It's really the next guys having troubles (now) that worries me! I guess you wouldn't care since Kawasaki always replaces all your parts, with all your failures! I guess they treat their associates better than the rest of us!!!!!  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 05:41:01 PM »
I don't know Bob, that is a lot of exclamation points for something that isn't a rant. Sure we all know you are neutral and unbiased but to the casual observer..... maybe not so much.

;)

But hey, best of luck with your anti- Kawasaki (and anti- KiPass, and anti- Amsoil and anti- Michelin) agenda(s). You keep at it and I am sure you will convert any number of folks over to Feejers, and Pirellis, and whatever oil you use. Go Bob, GO!

ROFLMAO (I really have to get that icon to work)

Brian

Not a Rant! Just an observation!
 Besides, Kawasaki replaced mine, so it would have probably worked for a little while until the next problem with them. It's really the next guys having troubles (now) that worries me! I guess you wouldn't care since Kawasaki always replaces all your parts, with all your failures! I guess they treat their associates better than the rest of us!!!!!  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Bob

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »
I don't know Bob, that is a lot of exclamation points for something that isn't a rant. Sure we all know you are neutral and unbiased but to the casual observer..... maybe not so much.

;)

But hey, best of luck with your anti- Kawasaki (and anti- KiPass, and anti- Amsoil and anti- Michelin) agenda(s). You keep at it and I am sure you will convert any number of folks over to Feejers, and Pirellis, and whatever oil you use. Go Bob, GO!

ROFLMAO (I really have to get that icon to work)

Brian

Yes sir, I have such agendas that I own two very nice Kawasaki's, recommend the Kawasaki Concours14 to a lot of people despite having had trouble with mine. Prefer and tend to recommend other brands of oils that I've used that didn't give me (and others) trouble. And am so anti Michelin that I will be installing a set of Michelin PR3's on my FJR tomorrow! Yeah that's an agenda!    :rotflmao:
 Maybe it's just you don't like when someone doesn't agree with your views on the KIPASS system.  Or has their own opinions on something else that you might or might not agree with. Then you call it an agenda!  :nuts:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 06:14:18 PM »
The TPS sensors are active during a 'Low tire pressure sensor battery' warning and will display the tire's pressure once the warning screen is clearerd. When the TPS sensors are inactive, the tire pressure screen will show '---' and there will not be any warning on the display.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 06:16:07 PM »
Right Bob, you are very neutral and fair. Yep, that's it.

ROFLMAO still....

Brian

<snipped "I have no agenda" agenda explantion>

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »
My 08 does that for a mile or two until they warm up.  Good reminder not to push it until the tires are warmed up.

8)

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »
If the "low" temp is the issue, then will a new sensor solve the problem? I think not unless they have a completely redesinged unit for replacement. Or is the low voltage of the battery in sensor exacerbated because of the low temp?  Either way, technically it's not a defect IF the sensor turns on at some point and especially if it definitely is only related to low temps. I've had mine do the same thing on a REALLY chilly morning but it "came to" within a few minutes and it hasn't been that cool since.

I know, it's annoying but it's not a game stopper.

Call me devils advocate if you want.   :stirpot:

Bob

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »
Right Bob, you are very neutral and fair. Yep, that's it.

ROFLMAO still....

Brian

If anything, it would be you with the agenda, for Kawasaki! No other person would ever be so pro anything that has had as much trouble with a product as you have had with your C14! You've had more trouble with your bike and had more parts replaced and warranty issues than anybody on this forum. Yet you push what quality it has! But hey your a good employee!  ;)
 I just happen to like the bike, but will admit it has some flaws. But I still recommend it. You on the other hand will never say anything against Kawasaki or this bike. Yeah, and you say that I have an agenda! Again,  :rotflmao:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 06:32:04 PM »
Hey Bob, I'm not laughing with you....  ;D

Even Kirby is shaking his head and he is hard to impress.

Brian

<snipped Bob's counter- rant to Bob's own original rant>