Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 128219 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« Reply #180 on: January 03, 2012, 01:06:38 PM »
Conrad,how far south did you come?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »
Conrad,how far south did you come?

Effingham. We had lunch at Wild Wings while watching the Bears kick some Viking butt. One of my grandsons spent a week with us over the holiday break. They live in TN and Effingham is about halfway between their house and our's. My son met us there.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »
Hope you had a great time with your son. Anytime you ride south you're welcome to give me a holler.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2012, 01:23:10 PM »
Hope you had a great time with your son. Anytime you ride south you're welcome to give me a holler.

Thanks! I'll do that next time.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2012, 01:33:23 PM »
Sorry about your fog light lens, did you price it yet?

I took my first long trip with the Jetta on Sunday. Drove down to southern Illinois and back. 45 mpg down and 37 on the way back. The wind started up on the way back and we were driving right into it. I was sweating it a bit on the way back. I missed the exit for diesel and I wanted to wait for the next one. My range read ZERO as the nav system told me that my exit was coming up. I pumped 13.9 gals into the 14.5 gal tank.  :o

Speaking of diesel. In reading at the TDI forums they all recommend staying away from biodiesel in concentrations any higher than 5%. They make it sound like it's hard to find non bio around. I had no problems.
$163.75 + tax.  Ouch!!!!  I'm gonna see what I can find for protection, cheap insurance I wish I had done before the broken light.....  I guess I need to check the oil, bad on me.  I'll let you know in about 5 minutes.  If it ever gets to -13 around here it's a sure sign the ice age is starting, on the East side of the state it's a sure bet to get that cold and colder so I'll be doing the same as you, I really do want this car to last me 20 years.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #185 on: January 03, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »
Oil is right at the top of the line, looks as fresh as any new oil could.  Looks like she burns as much as the connie, which is none.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #186 on: January 03, 2012, 02:00:23 PM »
I have just a hair under 1k miles and the oil looks fine too.

Still loving the Jetta! One thing that I don't like is the fob with the stupid switchblade key. While in my pocket the button keeps getting pressed and the key pops out in my pocket.

Is that a VW fob in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Why yes it is and I am.   :P

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #187 on: January 03, 2012, 02:05:17 PM »
Pants too tight?  You know that went out in the 70's unless you are a woman or one of the "new" generation of confused young males.   :)
T.S.R.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »
Pants too tight?  You know that went out in the 70's unless you are a woman or one of the "new" generation of confused young males.   :)

Maybe that's it. They seemed to have shrunk up a bit over the holidays.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #189 on: January 03, 2012, 02:07:21 PM »
I have just a hair under 1k miles and the oil looks fine too.

Still loving the Jetta! One thing that I don't like is the fob with the stupid switchblade key. While in my pocket the button keeps getting pressed and the key pops out in my pocket.

Is that a VW fob in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Why yes it is and I am.   :P
I put some tape on it, frugal fix works like a charm ;D

Did you know that a VW fob works as a pick up tool?  Chicks dig a VW ;D  My wife was hit on by a one of them long haired stripper dudes, my only question was why she was in a location to meet him.  She was quite secretive :-X

Offline Conrad

« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
I put some tape on it, frugal fix works like a charm ;D

Did you know that a VW fob works as a pick up tool?  Chicks dig a VW ;D  My wife was hit on by a one of them long haired stripper dudes, my only question was why she was in a location to meet him.  She was quite secretive :-X

Good idear on the tape. I was looking for an o-ring that would fit but I'll try the tape till my pants get back to the right size.

Um, wait. Chicks dig a VW I get that but why was the dude hitting on your wife, he's not a chick right? Maybe it's a hair thing?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:59:46 AM by Conrad »

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #191 on: January 05, 2012, 03:33:39 AM »
Thin perspex cut to size and bent using a hairdryer for the fog lamp covers  is one way to get cheap covers.You may be able to use velcro tabs or you could just use a few small spots of clear silicon to glue them on ,personally velcro tabs cut to size would be the best .I would also consider what areas will get stone chipped and get some clear film to protect it look at tankslapper for the idea ,I am sure you do it you self if you can fins a stcokist of tghe 3M film..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »
It was nice enough outside yesterday that I gave the Vdubbya it's first hand wash and wax job. The closer I look at this car the more I love it. While washing and waxing it you can really get a close look as to how much thought and attention to detail VW spent on the thing. Quality inside and out.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »
Friday I took a little coastal trip to Sequim, averaged 51 out and 47 back, around 180 miles total.
I found these online, I'm going to order, I just can't decide if I want clear or tinted.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sedan-TDI/Search/Headlight_Film/

I have a car squeegee I use in the AM, works great and it helps keep my idle time to a minimum.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »
I drove out to the mountains today in my Prius and got about 52mpg.  Haven't spent any time waxing or washing it unless you count that rainstorm we had about a week ago..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2012, 06:34:57 PM »
We rode down to Clearwater Beach today(250mi round trip, back roads) and got about 42mpg.  Haven't spent any time waxing or washing it unless you count that rainstorm we had about a week ago..

I made a slight adjustment to the above to show what wifey and I did today. ;)
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2012, 07:51:03 PM »
I'm with you on that...wish I could say that I rode out to the mountains.  Could only do 15 miles yesterday.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2012, 08:32:10 PM »
Steve J.,

Teressa and i thought we saw you go by on the way to Clearwater Beach and said "nahhhhhh couldn't have been them they may have at least called"!   (j/k)  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
I drove out to the mountains today in my Prius and got about 52mpg.  Haven't spent any time waxing or washing it unless you count that rainstorm we had about a week ago..
If ya think a dead fob battery is bad ;)  How much is it to have them (Prius) batteries replaced? 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2012, 03:59:42 AM »
About $1500 these days.