Author Topic: The Future of th C14  (Read 29950 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: The Future of th C14
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »
Interesting you mention that- that is exactly how a lot of mass produced items fizzle out. In fact, the last three years, as I remember, of the KZ 1300 were earlier bikes assembled in two batches (again, as I remember) that had nothing to do with what 'model year' the bikes were stamped with.

Brian

<snip>

Still at 1000 per year, they could get rid of a lot of parts inventory just by assembling them. As warrantys start expiring the need for new parts will diminish significantly
as those seeking repair will turn increasingly to the ebay/used parts market just to keep the repair prices inline with the decreasing value of their older bikes. No?

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »
A significant advantage Kawasaki may have is if they keep the ZX and Concours models running together (meaning the Concours will have to get the larger, current ZX engine and so forth) then they can spread R&D, development and all or almost all certification costs across two models. Yamaha, for example, is flapping out in the breeze by not having anything but an FJR use that engine.

Of course the above would only be an advantage if Kawasaki can make the sales of two (or more?) models using the basic -14 chassis sell more total units than Yamaha can sell FJRs. If not, then there is no advantage at all.

Clearly the sport touring market is small in sales, small in suppliers and models, and getting smaller yet. I personally do not really think of the BMW 16 series as a sport tourer but more of a pure tourer; that may be incorrect but IMO the last sport tourer BMW made was the K1300 GT. Which, by the way, is surprising that they dropped the GT as they continue to make the 1300S; the   same advantages would apply that I already mentioned regarding the two Kawasakis.

Brian

the Trophy is gone for a while in Europe, non Euro4 compliant... I have my doubts Kawasaki will make the ZX14 to comply with Euro 5/6, leading to the H2SX as its replacement. Same for Yamaha if it will make the old FJR Euro5/6 compliant unless they have something NEW in the pipeline. If not, only BMW RT and K16... one will have to pay the piper.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »
A significant advantage Kawasaki may have is if they keep the ZX and Concours models running together (meaning the Concours will have to get the larger, current ZX engine and so forth) then they can spread R&D, development and all or almost all certification costs across two models. 

+1 exactly.  Just use the ZX-14R engine, slap on the existing C14 head, add the pre-existing associated Euro-4 addon and done.  It is bizarre.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 04:04:53 PM »
Seems to me the biggest threat to motorcycling aside from sales is these damn EuroCrap regulations.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »
Seems to me the biggest threat to motorcycling aside from sales is these damn EuroCrap regulations.

And the other will be when motorcycles are outlawed [or become unaffordable] because they aren't very compatible with being "self-driving" like cars will become.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline olie

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 05:15:21 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  Euro-4 was easy for the ZX (and WOULD be for the Concours) but I am not sure that Euro-5 would be doable.... although, admittedly, I don't know much about Euro-5.

...just follow this link...

http://www.transportpolicy.net/standard/eu-motorcycles-emissions/?title=eu:_motorcycles:_emissions
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline Bob Skinner

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 05:24:12 PM »
I heard a lot of this same discussion back in 2006 when the C-10 was discontinued but kawasaki pulled the rabbit out of the hat with the C-14.
I'm hoping they can do it again.

Bob Skinner

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 08:02:14 PM »
They're still makin' this sport tourer, for now anyway. Well, OK, ya gotta buy side cases and top case :finger_fing11:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:03:14 PM by Conniesaki »

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 08:15:57 PM »
They're still makin' this sport tourer, for now anyway. Well, OK, ya gotta buy side cases and top case

:P  and somehow convert it to shaft drive, and move the pegs forward, and put on bigger fairings, and add heated grips, and rip out the windscreen to put in a powered one, and add a keyless ignitions, and add variable valve head, and replace the handlebars, and add a rack, and add a glovebox, and upsize the mirrors, and triple the warranty... hey, it becomes a faster Concours with better headlights...  :)

Hey, I think that is a ZRX in the background of the first pic!  (My previous bike)

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 09:43:29 PM »

Hey, I think that is a ZRX in the background of the first pic!  (My previous bike)

It's my buddy's:

Offline O.C.

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 03:29:55 AM »
Here's a review, which may be the first......its stunning, but I would need to be 15-20 years younger ....ahhhhhh halcyon days  ;)       

https://youtu.be/iLajTDUEjEA?t=59   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 04:41:02 AM »
Slick! I would have to see one in the flesh but I think that is a workable chassis for a distance bike.

Brian

Here's a review, which may be the first......its stunning, but I would need to be 15-20 years younger ....ahhhhhh halcyon days  ;)       

https://youtu.be/iLajTDUEjEA?t=59   

Offline olie

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »
Slick! I would have to see one in the flesh but I think that is a workable chassis for a distance bike.

Brian

+1... if Kawa makes a Versys H2 version like they did with the N1k vs V1k, I will be in... very doable!!

After changing the oem tires, my V1k is growing on me... not perfect... but a "VH2" oh yeah !!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:57:20 AM by olie »
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 11:21:28 AM »

Brian

Brian show the picture of the H2SX loaded two up to your wife and let me know if it's a workable chassis for long distance.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 12:36:13 PM »
Tend to agree...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 01:33:09 PM »
Why? Is my wife in charge of motorcycle chassis suitability for different tasks or something?

:-)

Brian

Brian show the picture of the H2SX loaded two up to your wife and let me know if it's a workable chassis for long distance.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »
You think my wife is in charge of motorcycle chassis styles too? Did I miss something? Was there a vote and she got herself elected..... to be the authority on motorcycles or something?

I am going to have to have a chat with her because if she really does wield that kind of 'juice', maybe she can get enough changes made to an FJR to make it more attractive and I might buy one.

Brian

Tend to agree...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
Yes.  She was promoted a month ago.  The vote was unanimous.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 02:24:27 PM »
You should really talk with your wife more.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 03:03:35 PM »
Said no one who has been married for more than 35 minutes.....

:rotflmao:

Brian

You should really talk with your wife more.