Author Topic: Ignition key turns, everything goes out  (Read 3028 times)

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
Ignition key turns, everything goes out
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »
Ignition key turns from off to on and even the clock goes out.  No dash lights, no taillights, nothing.

I'm thinking it's either the ignition switch or J-Box.  Connections at battery are solid.

Battery gives 12.62V.

It's an intermittent problem.  First turn of the switch this morning, nothing.  Now it works.

I'm thinking it's time to send my J-Box over to Mr. Buck.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Ignition key turns, everything goes out
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 02:11:02 PM »
Ignition key turns from off to on and even the clock goes out.  No dash lights, no taillights, nothing.

I'm thinking it's either the ignition switch or J-Box. 
Battery gives 12.62V.

It's an intermittent problem.  First turn of the switch this morning, nothing.  Now it works.

I'm thinking it's time to send my J-Box over to Mr. Buck.

Connections at battery are solid.

Help me out on this "solid" term in this context. If you have not removed the cables and buffed all connection areas to a nice shine, you are not what I consider  "solid" on this front.

Have you used a meter at all to rule things in or out? It kinda doesn't sound like it. It sounds like you're maybe gonna start shot gunning parts and hundred dollar bills at the bike until it works. You may want to get to a Harbor Freight or Home Despot and get yersef a cheap meter to test things out, if you don't have one.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »
3 years ago my battery also gave off a nice charged reading but guess what. jump start that thing the very next time it plays you then go from there. J-box is factor to but i would look more at the battery first because my lights went out to when i turned the key on.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »
Next time it acts like that, leave your key in the on position, take off the left side cover and give the J-box a tap with your fingers.  If it comes back to life, it's time to get the J-box fixed.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:58:26 PM »
A fully charged battery should read around 13.2 volts.
Change the battery, and you'll be back in business.

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:39:26 PM »
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 03:37:49 AM »
My tolerance for issues on this bike is around zero, so besides cleaning up the battery connections and plugging/unplugging stuff I'm not going to be doing much work on it.

I have more money than time at this point--I'm pulling 50 hour weeks and taking 14 hours of credit in school.  I need a bike that runs consistently.  Too bad my ZG has never done that.  One issue after another.  Not all Connies are lemons, but I sure got one.  Ownership has been pretty much waiting for the other shoe to drop.

On a positive note, the bike runs GREAT now after SISF's cleaning and jet kit.  38MPG if I stay out of it, 30mpg if I'm having fun.  I can live with that.   8)

First step will be a new battery.  Since the bike has 67k on it I may send the J-Box in anyway to keep it from stranding me.

Update:  Ordered a Deka from Tri-State Battery based on reviews.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:11:09 AM »
Worn out out defective batteries, fluid changes, adjustments, tires and brake pads and carburetor cleanings  are maintenance issues or lack of there of  should never be construed  as product reliability issues.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 10:01:05 AM »

Help me out on this "solid" term in this context. If you have not removed the cables and buffed all connection areas to a nice shine, you are not what I consider  "solid" on this front.

........It sounds like you're maybe gonna start shot gunning parts and hundred dollar bills at the bike until it works. .......

yep, I think you hit the nail on the head with that one Steve-O..... :rotflmao: :popcorn: :thumbs:

My tolerance for issues on this bike is around zero, so besides cleaning up the battery connections and plugging/unplugging stuff I'm not going to be doing much work on it.

I have more money than time at this point--First step will be a new battery.  Since the bike has 67k on it I may send the J-Box in anyway to keep it from stranding me.

Update:  Ordered a Deka from Tri-State Battery based on reviews.

so....didja pull it, clean it, check it? or simply assume it needed a new batt....and that is the problem?
 :banghead: :popcorn:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 04:02:38 AM »
12.62VDC would indicate that it needs a new battery at the very least, no?  The battery is at least 4 years old, so it makes sense to replace it before it dies on the road.

I have very little free time to screw with this bike.

I am working 50-hour weeks.
I have 14 hours of class this semester, and also all the study time that entails.

I work alone.  I have to be on time. 

If I cannot commute with it, it is of no use to me.  Motorcycles, to me, are first and foremost a means of transportation.

The way Kaw chose to build the J-Boxes on this bike make them a known reliability issue.  I am going to get it rebuilt before it fails on a long trip.  If it fails on my trip this summer, it costs me face time with my dying father or puts me behind on my bills.  Unacceptable.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 06:22:24 AM »
Worn out out defective batteries, fluid changes, adjustments, tires and brake pads and carburetor cleanings  are maintenance issues or lack of there of  should never be construed  as product reliability issues.

+1..... Not going to make or poke fun at no one here but to complain that a 19 year old bike is unreliable due to design of the manf does not make real good sense to me.... Simply put stuff that gets used gets worn out. Need absolute turn key reliability buy a new car only keep it till the warranty runs out; and even with that there is no guarantee.

You state that everything goes out including the clock? As in even the clock looses its memory? If so do as MOB suggested by way of cleaning your battery terminals as well as the connectors on their "mating" sides and then give close attention to the White with Red striped wire that runs from the battery side of the starter solenoid to the J-Box as if it has issues it will cause EVERYTHING to go out. If you don't find issue outside of the J-Box then I'd most likely suspect a break in the trace wiring in the J-Box between terminal # 1 and the Main Fuse.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 07:59:32 AM »
Everything that has been said here is good information but if you have no time work on it then just save this info and maybe some day you will get some time off to tinker with it.

In the mean time i think your doing the next best thing by getting a new battery and J-box fixed.
don't give up on the old girl and good luck!.

BTW how many miles does it have on it. just curious

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 10:20:55 AM »
67K.

The POs didn't ride very much.  I haven't even ridden it that much, a year after I bought it I couldn't afford to get it fixed so it just sat.

It's a struggle between figuring that riding this is better than not riding at all and cutting my losses until I can get something I enjoy.

For now, I'm throwing money at it so it doesn't strand me this summer.  After the trip to see my parents I will most likely get rid of it.

Now that I've tried a sport-tourer, guess it's not for me.

It will be good for superslabbing it 1200 miles at 100+ though.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »
  I need a bike that runs consistently.  Too bad my ZG has never done that.  One issue after another.  Not all Connies are lemons, but I sure got one.  Ownership has been pretty much waiting for the other shoe to drop.

+1.  I'm IRideASlowBike on ADVrider.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 09:43:02 PM »
+1.  I'm IRideASlowBike on ADVrider.
OIC... ;)
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red