Author Topic: Tar snakes and damnation.....  (Read 10444 times)

Offline sanmo

• Arena
Tar snakes and damnation.....
« on: September 07, 2015, 08:01:39 AM »
One of the access roads to our subdivision is plagued by tar snakes even though the surface seems good enough not to need them. On 85+ F days, I can feel my front wheels skid just enough to spook me even with negligible lean on the bike and low speeds. Question is whether the sense of foreboding is all in my head or whether there is a real danger of wrecking. :yikes:
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Tar snakes and damnation.....
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:08:44 AM »
Tar snakes will put you on your arse. Some tires are worse than others for grip on the stuff.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 10:37:26 AM »
+1!
Stock Stone BT-016's were far worse about slipping on them than PR2's and PR4's I've run.

I almost crashed on some coming off the Grand Staircase Escalante back when my bike was new!

It also depends on how fresh or old they are, and if there's any moisture on the road, too.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »
Tar Snakes are normally just a small area that you cross, so, the feeling is worse than the actual chance of falling over.

(ie: the bike slips a bit as it crosses the tar Snake, but regains traction after it moves past the tar)

But, it sure scares the heck out of ya!!!   ;)

Ride safe, Ted

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »
Yeah it is definitely a pucker moment! The microsecond as your rubber slips an inch over the snake! I have several exit ramps that have tar snakes all over them. I can't enjoy the ramps!!! LOL

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 06:45:03 PM »
Going on the road past NewspaperRock into the Needles District of Canyonlands NP this last June, there was a long section
of very web like snakes (Hwy 211), scared the bejesus out of me. I've been on tar snakes before but I guess these were extra hot
in the sun (I got a late start that day) because I've never had such a bad experience as that. It felt like someone had grabbed my front wheel and was shaking it left to right. It was an in and out (e.b.!) trip, and on the way back I think I was only doing 25mph or less across those demon snakes.

Offline UhOh

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 03:50:25 AM »
Going on the road past NewspaperRock into the Needles District of Canyonlands NP this last June, there was a long section
of very web like snakes (Hwy 211), scared the bejesus out of me. I've been on tar snakes before but ...

Understand.   It's the tar snakes that run parallel to your curve travel
that you have to worry about.  Others, perpendicular running across the road,
well - you're over them in a flash w/o worries. 

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 11:44:13 AM »
What the road outside my subdivision looks like... really... it's absolutely horrible!

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 02:50:02 PM »
What the road outside my subdivision looks like... really... it's absolutely horrible!

OMG!   :o      :thumbdown

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »

Someone was trying to empty out their tar tank or something! I can imagine NO reason for them to be like that.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 11:30:14 AM »
Someone was trying to empty out their tar tank or something! I can imagine NO reason for them to be like that.

It's called being cheap... cheaper to "caulk" a road than repave it!
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 12:14:10 PM »
They would have saved money if they had just seal coated it with a rock overlay.  Of course, riding on those little rocks is no fun either until they sweep them up.

Some places put sand or grit on the tar snake material to make them less slippery.  I think we need to get the AMA on this to make it a requirement.  Also, for those big painted crosswalk rectangles that are also slippery as snot when wet.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 01:56:01 PM »

Absolutely the case here in IN. Ridiculous

Multiple roads in the net 3 counties that look just like that. Not sure about the chip seal. They did a tar snake road (IN 103 ) with chip seal 16 months ago. Still unrideable.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 03:09:26 PM »
Some places put sand or grit on the tar snake material to make them less slippery. 
Does that last very long? Even past the very first hot day? If so, then....
I think we need to get the AMA on this to make it a requirement. 
  Yes!..I totally agree, a lot more important than lane splitting legislation IMO.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:12:55 PM by fartymarty »

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 08:02:14 AM »
Does that last very long? Even past the very first hot day? If so, then....

I don't know as I've only encountered it on road trips.  TX for instance on the three sisters roads.  Here in MN they profess to be super concerned about the motorcycle deaths but then make it almost impossible to stay upright with every chance they get.   :censored:

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 11:22:05 PM »
OMG!   :o      :thumbdown

Done by some stupid ass in the DPW that saved about a $1.10 for the taxpayers-Yay!!

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 05:53:24 AM »
Understand.   It's the tar snakes that run parallel to your curve travel
that you have to worry about.  Others, perpendicular running across the road,
well - you're over them in a flash w/o worries.

Yup. I really try to avoid the wider tar snakes that run in the direction of my travel.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 05:55:21 AM »

LOL. That is tragic, yet funny. A road crew that was drunk and stoned perhaps.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 01:06:13 PM »

هذا هو الكتابة العربية حقا، وأنه هو تعليمات تنظيم القاعدة / ISIS / ISIL لهذا الحدث القادم.
  لماذا وضع مدونة عندما يمكنك فقط استخدام الطريق العام والكتابة في سهل ENGL ... أيا كان؟
... ويعرف أيضا باسم: كيف يمكن الحصول على هذا المنتدى وزير الخارجية على الرادار وكالة الامن القومي؟
  أنت الآن كلها تحت المراقبة الاتحادية، يمكنك أن أشكر لي في وقت لاحق.

That is really Arabic writing and it is Al Qaeda/ISIS/ISIL  instructions for the next event.
 Why develop a code when you can just use a public roadway and write in plain Engl...whatever?
...aka: how can fm get this forum on the NSA's radar?
 You are now all under Federal surveillance, post carefully. You can thank me later.    :battle: :shoot: :1DeadBanana

Why yes I am Joe King. Please don't use this post to start a religious/political/anti big government soap box spewing. If you must, please just quote me and take it to the arena!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »
You forgot to mention bomb, jihad, confederate, teaparty, etc.