Author Topic: Cut down windscreen  (Read 27039 times)

Offline BrianM

Re: Cut down windscreen
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2011, 07:41:18 AM »
And my iteration...  first try at making a screen.  I didn't want to cut down the stocker because I know I frown on modified bikes when buying, so I sell stock bikes when possible.  Instead I used a $12 sheet of 12x24 from Home Depot:

I'm just leaving it rough till I get some seat-time with it.  Of course, can't have a learning curve without screwing something up.  I did my best to take a rubbing and transfer it to the flat Lexan...  and since this is the Worst of the goof, I'm not too displeased:

Riding completely sans screen was very pleasant yesterday (upper 80's, right around 70% humidity).  I hope to find a screen height that emulates that same feeling without looking incomplete. 

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2011, 08:43:41 AM »
Round the upper corners to about a 5" radius and paint it black inside (after scuff sanding) and it will look way (more) cool.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2011, 04:12:58 PM »
Thanks for the pics Brian.  I'm considering the same mod for my 06 (Home Depot version of Lexan) as I currently have the stock windshield on.

Jeff
Jeff Poston, Fitzwilliam, NH
2006 Concours "Matilda"
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Offline BrianM

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2011, 05:44:51 PM »
Thanks for the pics Brian.  I'm considering the same mod for my 06 (Home Depot version of Lexan) as I currently have the stock windshield on.

Jeff

I think I'd use clamps to hold the Lexan to the OEM screen and trace directly if I were to try it again.  No 2-step with paper (clearly didn't work for me that well).

When installing/drilling the holes, I located the center 2 at the bottom first, drilled a pilot and then the main hole (sloooow speed cuts right through, nice and clean).  Then I alternated to either side and just bent it back a little at a time to mark and drill the next hole.  Everything lines up nicely, it was a "first time's a charm" deal with the screw holes.

Wish I could give a ride report, but I blew a chunk out of my valve cover gasket yesterday so the bike is torn apart waiting on USPS to deliver a new one from Murphs...

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2011, 08:47:54 PM »
BrianM, if you pm me your email, I can send you this jpeg of a windshield pattern that a fellow forum member sent me. (thanks go to the original maker) I have yet to use it, so can't speak of its accuracy, hopefully I can find some time this weekend to make up a shorty. Until then I've been riding without a shield at all.

Unless you have a large format printer, just stop by a Officemax type store, they printed it out for me while I waited for 2 bucks.

"Always take the long way home."

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2011, 07:36:17 AM »
I am surprised to see how many jumped and made the cut...Now with cold weather or rain?? I thought adjustment is the way to go. The Adjustable windshield I made works great, but I did notice something from it.
Adjustment is not that important. What is needed is all the way up and and all the way down. All the way up and all the way down concept would make things a whole lot easier to manufacture an adjustable shield.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2011, 07:43:02 AM »
I am surprised to see how many jumped and made the cut...Now with cold weather or rain?? I thought adjustment is the way to go. The Adjustable windshield I made works great, but I did notice something from it.
Adjustment is not that important. What is needed is all the way up and and all the way down. All the way up and all the way down concept would make things a whole lot easier to manufacture an adjustable shield.

:thumbs: Very true.  Kind of an "All or Nothing" thing.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2011, 05:23:39 AM »
DarkKnight - I'm thinking a bit more low tech.  2 shields, the original stocker, maybe with the flip cut off it for colder weather and a shortly for the warmer weather.   Not much of a riding season here in soutwest NH from the end of October to mid to late March.   Usually don't see the ground until April after the first real snow of the winter.

Anycleavers - pm on it's way to you.

Jeff
2006 Concours "Matilda"

Offline BrianM

« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2011, 05:42:21 AM »
Thanks to Cleavers for the email, and to whoever originated it.

FWIW, you can load it into MS Paint (yup, the basic program that comes with all Windoze operating systems and has since about 3.1) and print it out on normal pages at home to be taped together into the full sheet.  Not as pretty, but cheaper and faster .....  well, maybe not cheaper if you're doing the whole Ink Jet thing, but I have a Laser printer at home, so cheaper. 

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »
Took the jpeg file from anycleavers to Stples last night.  $2.99 to get it printed full size on a single piece of paper.   I also printed it out on the laser printer and will compare the two.   

I also went to HD and picked up the Lexan, blades for the jigsaw and a extra fine sanding sponge for a grand total of about $27.

My plan is to build the new windshield this weekend and I will take pictures and document the process along the way.  My first farkle, and a frugal one at that!
2006 Concours "Matilda"

Offline BrianM

« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2011, 05:28:22 AM »
Mine, done on a laser printer, seems too narrow and the screw holes are so far off I'd be livid if I'd drilled them off the bike (I line it up on the bike, drill, put in 1 screw and repeat).  I even drew them on this last time cutting (yesterday) just to see  It's bad enough that I bought a 2nd piece of lexan to make the "finished" product once I get the screen short enough.  Right now, I'm level with the top of the front fairing and wondering if that's going to be low enough.

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2011, 06:20:09 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a piece of poster board and tracing the outline on that first and fitting it to the bike before cutting the lexan.  The dollar for the poster board would also make a good template to trace on the lexan. :stirpot:
2006 Concours "Matilda"

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2011, 01:58:27 PM »
Thats what I did when I got a rifle base. Worked great and know I have the pattern handy anytime I need it.

Wayne

I'm thinking about getting a piece of poster board and tracing the outline on that first and fitting it to the bike before cutting the lexan.  The dollar for the poster board would also make a good template to trace on the lexan. :stirpot:
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2011, 08:01:23 PM »
Sure glad I didn't try to cut the lexan first.   My initial cut on the poster board was an unmitigated disaster.   Got to take the kids to camp tomorrow, so there's no effort going into the windshield project, but I'm going to give it another go on Monday (after a round of golf I've been promising myself all summer).
2006 Concours "Matilda"