Author Topic: The infamous leaking valve cover .........or something else?  (Read 9012 times)

Offline speed545

The infamous leaking valve cover .........or something else?
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:27:58 PM »
hi guys

In prep for the incoming season, i noticed oil smell on start up few weeks ago. I had time to dig in a little bit today to see what it was. Cam position sensor is dry. Valve cover im not sure but before removing it, what is that sensor in the middle that looks like an elcetrical sensor. Is it purely electrical or it can leak oil?

Took me 3 hours to get to that valve cover :-\

08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: The infamous leaking valve cover .........or something else?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 05:04:30 PM »
THAT is the infamous leaky exhaust cam sensor... the one up top is the intake sensor, and never leaks...

Luckily, Murph is now selling the replacement o rings I used to sell, contact him and check website...

If the cam cover has not been off, and is not visibly leaking, dont remove it... just do the exhaust sensor o ring... clean it all off prior, to see...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline speed545

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 05:20:54 PM »
So the close up pic,  3th pics down is the exhaust cam position?

Valve cover been removed for valve adjust 3 years ago (15k)

Doesnt seem to leak

Thx MOB
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 05:23:59 PM »
So the close up pic,  3th pics down is the exhaust cam position?

Valve cover been removed for valve adjust 3 years ago (15k)

Doesnt seem to leak

Thx MOB

Yep, that sensor is the one...

Here's what Murph placed on the other forum, best of luck, give him an email and he can hook ya up...

You've have read about it on the forums, and here it is. An oversized O-Ring to replace Kawasaki PN 92055-1639. The factory sized O-Ring has been a known leak source for awhile.

MOB was taking care of the clan by selling these on the cheap, and if folks would send a buck and a self-addressed, stamped envelope they were on the way. We tried to keep the price down but for whatever reason, when we tried using the standard drop in the mail envelope with a stamp a whopping 20% never made the trip. SO... we now ship these in our standard bubble envelope USPS 1st Class with tracking.

Two for $6, which of course includes the shipping.

Thanks to MOB!

Link right here:

http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=528

murph

Offline jwh20

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 06:07:39 PM »
When you say the cam position sensor is dry, I suspect you're talking about the INTAKE sensor which is on the top of the valve cover.  It doesn't usually leak.  The photo of the front shows the EXHAUST cam position sensor just above the exhaust, this is the one that is commonly leaking and yours looks "wet" which is the typical look of a leaking sensor.  All the road grit that gets in there sticks to the wet oil and you get a mess.

Yes the o-ring from Murphs will fix this.  You've already done the hard part by exposing the thing.  Fixing it now is as simple as taking out the bolt, pulling the sensor out, replacing the o-ring, and re-installing it.

Offline speed545

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 06:18:11 PM »
The dry one was the intake. My bad
Thx for all thoses inputs.

I ll get in touch with murph

This forum is just incredible
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 06:47:13 AM »
I have the famous MOB O-ring but my valve cover is definitely leaking. I've decided to pay the local dealership to do a valve adjust and of course they will put in a new valve cover gasket. If I were doing it, I would probably put a little bit of black permatex on it to make sure it does not leak again. Wondering if I should ask them to do that.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 06:54:29 AM »
I have the famous MOB O-ring but my valve cover is definitely leaking. I've decided to pay the local dealership to do a valve adjust and of course they will put in a new valve cover gasket. If I were doing it, I would probably put a little bit of black permatex on it to make sure it does not leak again. Wondering if I should ask them to do that.

I would.  It is certainly not an unreasonable request.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jwh20

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »

The FSM calls for sealant on the four cutouts on each side of the head.  You might ask them to refer to the manual...   ;)

But I'd replace the gasket anyway.  Compared to the cost or time involved (if doing it yourself) it's a cheap insurance.  The problem is not really getting it to re-seat/re-seal, but the rubber hardens over time and will often start leaking again even if you use sealant on a re-install.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:53:12 AM by jwh20 »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 03:33:35 PM »
The FSM calls for sealant on the four cutouts on each side of the head.  You might ask them to refer to the manual...   ;)

But I'd replace the gasket anyway.  Compared to the cost or time involved (if doing it yourself) it's a cheap insurance.  The problem is not really getting it to re-seat/re-seal, but the rubber hardens over time and will often start leaking again even if you use sealant on a re-install.

Those are my thoughts too.  Valve check/adjust is very labor intensive and expensive.  The cost of a new gasket is minimal in comparison.  I can't imagine not just replacing it with something new each time, especially if it has been several years.  Of course, I say that without actually pricing the sucker :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
The dealer is very unlikely to do anything but put factory parts into the bike with the specified methods (in this case, nothing but a few dabs of RTV sealant at the cam seals).

But it is the method I chose to address the problem; I brought the valve cover into the laundry room and scrubbed it clean with a brush using soap and water until it was CLEAN. Then squeezed a bead of about 3/16" into the seal valley on the cover, then put the seal in and sat the cover onto the seal on a flat surface. Let the RTV set up and reassemble. It worked for a long time in my case and was noticeable when reassembling in that the valve cover screws drew- down for more distance and somewhat harder than with a stock seal.

Of course there is the risk of using too much RTV and having too much resistance screwing (Easy Boys!) down and doing some damage, most probably cracking the case al. cover.

It is a less- than- great design which is disappointing because Japanese vehicle mfg.'s are particularly good at making vehicles (and showing the world how to make vehicles) that DO NOT leak. Then again, if something has to go chronically wrong, better a weeping valve cover gasket than, say, weak piston crowns or bad output bevel gears, etc.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »
Price one... its not cheap...

Oops, Brian was typing faster than I was... but I'll still post my thoughts...

But I bought one to have on hand, as I did when I was servicing C10's, and if you buy one, you will find that you will only need it if you totally damage the one in place...
These are pretty tough gaskets, and truthfully I feel they last a lonnnnnng time, and can be cleaned, and reinstalled many many times over, if you are careful,
And clean it well to remove the oily coating, and sealant /adhesive used at the factory to hold it to the cover, and also completely clean the groove.in the cover to remove all of that adhesive, and also clean all of the sealant used on the semi circle cutouts and anything on the head, you can reuse the gasket without issues... I use acetone for the cleaning, and stout blue cleaning wipes.
Before I install, I run a very SMALL (about pencil lead diameter) bead of black rtv around the center of the groove in the cover, about a hlaf hour before I plan to reinstall the cover, and then stick the cleaned gasket firmly and evenly in that groove, and set it upside down on my bench with about 5# of weight on it to "glue" the gasket in place for handling... I used to use monkey grip tire patch glue applied with a large syringe for that, but cleaning the syringe was a p.I.t.a., it did work great tho for gluing the gasket into the groove, and basically recreates what is done at the factory.. apply the glue, insert the gasket, then pull it back off and let it skin up for a minute or three, then stick it back in... very effective.
I then "smear" a thin layer of rtv around each semicircle area, I don't goober it up with a bead, that is wayy overkill, and it smooshes out into the valve area.. not good.
Re install the cover, while paying close attention the gasket didn't dislodge, and is evenly seen around the perimeter,   and tighten it snuggly.

I've never yet come across a cover gasket that "hardened" to a point it was no longer pliable... but I'm sure someday I will... that's why I have a spare...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 04:49:58 PM »
Price one... its not cheap...

How much?  I bet it is less than the labor time/rate for cleaning it well for reusing it, isn't it?  That might explain why the dealership would replace it (although they can also charge for the part, of course).  For home repair, I can certainly see trying to reuse it and add additional sealant and such (our time isn't typically worth as much).  MY fear with reusing it is lack of experience cleaning it properly/correctly, and then ending up with a leak.  Seems to be my luck with such things, if you know what I mean.

Since it seems to be a chronic problem with the C14 (leaky valve cover seal), when it is time (if my mechanic friend ends up doing the job with me as "assistant") I am going to order a new one AND try your method of adding a SMALL amount of RTV too, just to be sure.  And I will replace that cam sensor O-ring at the same time with the larger version, whether it is leaking or not!

Offline speed545

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 05:07:57 PM »
Ok just ordered from Murphs
Went smooth
Question: to place the new o ring, do i use small amount of oil to sild it and then wipe off the excess?
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 06:15:42 PM »
Went smooth
Question: to place the new o ring, do i use small amount of oil to sild it and then wipe off the excess?

I am no mechanic, but that is what my mechanic friend taught me to do with most types of o-rings and seals- wipe on engine oil to lube it and put it in.  Same thing with oil filters and such.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 06:31:35 AM »
What weight oil?  :popcorn:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »
What weight oil?  :popcorn:

It only works if you use Amsoil  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 10:15:02 AM »
As the immortal Pokey would say....'Scamsoil!'.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 02:26:38 PM »
Went smooth

After you clean up all the goobered up gunk and are ready to insert the sensor, dip you finger in a small amount of engine oil, and smear it on the ring, and slightly coat the recess also... there should be nothing to "cleanup" afterwards, you don't need to pour the stuff on it, simply swipe some on sparingly,
If you find insertion is tight (and it should be... ), simply pinch the oring into the groove with your fingernails while shoving the sensor in, rotating it slightly helps also....
(No easy boys were used in this description.... )

gpineau

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 09:28:43 AM »
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this question.
I just picked up a craigslist concours and I am going to restore it.Never had a Kawasaki before now. 

There are plugs that go into the holes in the side of the head where the valve cover fits. i suppose they are for valve adjustments?  but the plugs are missing.
I don't know what to call them so I can go find them online and buy them? 
Anyone know what they are called?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:10:00 PM by gpineau »