Author Topic: Plastifix by Polyvance  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Plastifix by Polyvance
« on: August 04, 2017, 04:58:33 AM »
A search for this product on the forum yields no results, so here's the question.

Anybody use this product?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyd8Y8MOj68

I have a broken inner LH cover (part no. 14092-0113) which is available on Partzilla for a reasonable $47.27. Further examination shows that the top two screws that attach that cover to the (cowling? not sure what this part is called) with aid of two 5mm nut wells (part no. 92015-1757). The nut wells don't mesh with that cowling(?) because the circular tabs in which the nut wells sit broke off, at least partially.

This must have happened when I did my latest Tupperware removal and installation - didn't realize the problem until I noted the broken inner LH cover down near the grip heater switch, which was likely caused by the lack of being affixed to the cowling(?).

Anyway, I need to repair these tabs and give the nut wells some real estate in which to sit. This product looks pretty applicable to my purpose. Looking for any feedback on the product itself.

I certainly don't need to replace the cowling - it's only those two circular tabs that are defective. Further examination shows that they are remarkably brittle, even in hot weather.

Thanks. Will attach pics later, after dawn breaks and there's light.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:35:07 AM by Eupher »
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Plastifix by Polyvance
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 06:09:43 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jaymohn

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 07:22:11 AM »
I've used it to fix my dirt bike headlight (tab broke off).  I found that it was good for making the tab but I still had to use superglue and baking soda to get the tab to adhere. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:50:22 AM »
baking soda?

I would think abs cement would work.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:57:50 AM »
Looks interesting. I fixed a broken tab on my Valkyrie by sanding/roughing up the surface on the inside. Use a piece of aluminum to create a tab the correct size and location. Drilled a few small holes where it comes in contact with the roughed up plastic and glue it in place with JB Weld. My son in law still has that bike and the tab is still in place.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 02:41:40 PM »
This must have happened when I did my latest Tupperware removal and installation - didn't realize the problem until I noted the broken inner LH cover down near the grip heater switch, which was likely caused by the lack of being affixed to the cowling(?).

That is possible.  I will say that those screws around that assembly are very easy to overtighten and that WILL crack the plastic.  I came close a few times myself.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »
I've had four of those break, all 08s. I think there is a flaw in the design, if you hold you mouth wrong when removing the covers they break. I have a plastic welder I bought to plug some holes in my kayak, plan to try that. It worked great on the Kayak. Meanwhile I have the black 09 mirrors on the 08.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 07:28:46 PM »
+1 a bazillion times!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 03:44:00 AM »
I've ordered the Plastifix kit through Amazon ($45 plus a rape of $14 in shipping, which you might be able to get free if you do Amazon Prime). Amazon fronts the product for Polyvance, but you can pay a lot more money by ordering directly through Polyvance.

The kit comes in 3 colors - white, black, and clear. I ordered the clear version.

Am taking a look at that plastic welder, lather. Thanks for the heads-up!

Needless to say, I will be using a lot less torque on reinstallation of the new cover. That's probably what caused the tab to break - me being heavy-handed. Meh. Lesson learned.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 06:14:21 AM »
which you might be able to get free if you do Amazon Prime).

Nope.  Common misconception, though.  Products that are not free [slow] shipping for non-Prime (when you spend over $X) are almost always not Prime eligible.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 06:51:26 AM »
I just shoved a "push pin" in the hole. I ain't got time fo' that! 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 07:31:37 AM »
A solution I did.....found a SS fender washer just a little larger than the plastic ring.  Had to drill hole in washer just a tad to accept the well nut and make sure it fits snuggly.  Hold washer on back side of broken ring....push well nut in and it holds.  Then just line up cover and tighten.  That's it
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 07:42:02 PM »
A solution I did.....found a SS fender washer just a little larger than the plastic ring.  Had to drill hole in washer just a tad to accept the well nut and make sure it fits snuggly.  Hold washer on back side of broken ring....push well nut in and it holds.  Then just line up cover and tighten.  That's it

There's precious little of that broken ring left for any washer to hang onto. Worth taking a look at, though. Appreciate your insight!
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline jerdurr

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »
I've used it.... the product is :censored: phenomenal! Just takes a bit of time and practice to learn how to use it properly :)