Author Topic: Ambient temp display granularity  (Read 5373 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Ambient temp display granularity
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 04:52:45 PM »
wonder if we will ever switch to using Kelvin in daily use?

Kelvin who?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 05:28:20 PM »
Is that the Who Horton heard?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »
Could be..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 12:42:23 AM »
although it is used to measure how blue a HID is so I suppose its semi in daily usage
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 04:17:45 AM »
No, no, Who Kelvin, not Kelvin Who.

Lord Kelvin, he was an Englishman who invented heat back in the days of yore. Remember those pictures they showed you back in school (well, maybe charcoal drawings on a rock but....) about the 'ice age'? Well it was Lord Kelvin and heat that cured us of that. Of course now his 'heat' is a bit much and it has gone a little too far but such is the nature of things. I am not worried though, I expect Lord Freeze the Balls off of a Brass Monkey to come along any day now and spiff this whole thing up.

Brian

Kelvin who?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 04:47:27 AM »
 ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 01:50:33 PM »
LOL!  You are "da bomb."  I could swear the ranges I see of odd numbers I often encountered was wider than that.  But perhaps I was riding too much in the narrow odd ranges (and maybe with enough variation to magically skip the even number that separates two odd series).  I can't swear that wasn't an even thrown in every now and then that I didn't see, but I also was not in a position to write down all the numbers (or memorize them, which would be impossible for me)

I paid much more attention today and memorized the numbers (since there weren't many).  On the first 1.5 hour of my trip, the temps jumped between 41, 43, 45, and 47... all odd, and "47" should not occur if they are using proper rounding.   When I stopped and right before I turned off the bike, it then magically showed "46"!  The one and only time it appeared, despite dozens of jumps between 45 and 47.  And when I started the bike 10 min later for the next hour journey, it showed 46 again, and then went between 46, 48, and 50... jumping all the time.  I wish there had been more temperature variation so I could report more, but that is what happened.

So, the conversion from C to F with rounding still explains the bulk of what is happening, but there are still some odd things that don't quite make sense.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »
Wow, this is just like physics: we <mostly> know how it works but there are those aspects that we just cannot explain.

;) ;D

Brian

I paid much more attention today and memorized the numbers (since there weren't many).  On the first 1.5 hour of my trip, the temps jumped between 41, 43, 45, and 47... all odd, and "47" should not occur if they are using proper rounding.   When I stopped and right before I turned off the bike, it then magically showed "46"!  The one and only time it appeared, despite dozens of jumps between 45 and 47.  And when I started the bike 10 min later for the next hour journey, it showed 46 again, and then went between 46, 48, and 50... jumping all the time.  I wish there had been more temperature variation so I could report more, but that is what happened.

So, the conversion from C to F with rounding still explains the bulk of what is happening, but there are still some odd things that don't quite make sense.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 04:12:58 PM »
Wow, this is just like physics: we <mostly> know how it works but there are those aspects that we just cannot explain.

;) ;D

Brian

Spooky action at a distance...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »
Brian, we like you just the way you are.  I can hardly wait for your next attempt at sarcasm! 

My point was the list of observed display values.  It is the result of an experiment.  The data is consistent with the expectation that the output is Celsius, which is then converted for stoopid Americans to Fahrenheit.     

Adding from yesterday's ride: 39,37,36,34,32,30,28.  Lots of the previous values were seen again, up to 66.  None of the "missing" values were seen. 

Max, mine never displays 47.  Dunno what that means.  46 I get.

dat
sax
man

P.S.  I doubt it is like physics, the display question.  But it's like something...
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 10:52:10 PM »
Celsius, which is then converted for stoopid Americans to Fahrenheit.

Fahrenheit is just a measuring scale.   It is, by all accounts, obsolete, and I would not defend its contemporary use.  Unfortunately, it is well ingrained in the USA (as are other Imperial units, such as miles, feet, pounds, gallons, etc).  However, those using it are not, by its use, "stoopid" [sic].  You will note that all students in the USA are taught the metric system and have been taught so for generations.  Its use is mandated in all fields of science, both in and outside the classroom; changing lay standards is not easy.  But, of course, you are just joking...

Max, mine never displays 47.  Dunno what that means.

I don't know either

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 03:40:47 AM »
stoopid Americans ? ? ?  nice  ???

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 03:43:44 AM »
Right, Chief.

Brian

Brian, we like you just the way you are.  I can hardly wait for your next attempt at sarcasm! 

My point was the list of observed display values.  It is the result of an experiment.  The data is consistent with the expectation that the output is Celsius, which is then converted for stoopid Americans to Fahrenheit.     

Adding from yesterday's ride: 39,37,36,34,32,30,28.  Lots of the previous values were seen again, up to 66.  None of the "missing" values were seen. 

Max, mine never displays 47.  Dunno what that means.  46 I get.

dat
sax
man

P.S.  I doubt it is like physics, the display question.  But it's like something...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 03:47:09 AM »
Well, I find it is best to just acknowledge when our superiors show up and 'explain' things to us, such as how we are all misbehaving. It is easier just to acknowledge them as oh so smart / superior and move on. Especially if they are members of 'the pack'.

I am currently reading a book by Enrico Fermi, who was a stoopid Italian. See, us stoopid peoples tend to stick together.

;)

Brian

stoopid Americans ? ? ?  nice  ???

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 05:39:01 AM »
Obviously, I like the English measurement system, probably even more so than others.  I understand it.  It makes sense to me.  Metric, not so much.  It's too exact for my tastes.