Author Topic: Heli Bars and other replacements  (Read 4708 times)

Offline Snype

Heli Bars and other replacements
« on: December 15, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »
I know this has been talked about.  I've been reading through the old posts.  I could not find exactly what I was looking for. 

The problem: I'm a broad shouldered guy.  The stock hand position forces me to put severe bends in my wrists to hold the bars.  After riding, I have a tremendous pain in my wrists; resulting in less riding (the problem).  I need to change the angle of the bars to put my wrists in a more natural position, with minimum change to the overall riding position.

I've tried the risers and did not like them.  The only product that seems to do what I want is the Heli Bars; however, I want to retain as much of the sport position as possible.

I've read the install directions from the site.

Questions, those with Heli Bars, please chime in:
       How sporty can you get these???
       How hard is it, and how did you remove/replace the factory grips and retain heating?
       Any installation issues that I should be aware of?
       Anyone have a good video?

Those with other solutions, please chime in:
       What did you do to solve the pain in the wrists?

Thanks for the help,
Snype

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Heli Bars and other replacements
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »

Offline eng943

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
I don't have specific answers to your questions, but I share some of your concerns, which is why I went with AST pullback risers and the wedges from Murph. I did a before and after measurement of increased height and pull back with this combo:

Pull back - 2 -7/8
Rise 3"

That's a pretty substantial change, and the wedges flattened out the plane of the grip. I had contemplated the Heli Horizons, but I thought I would try this set up first. On cycle ergos.com, my C14 now has about a 1 or 2 degree forward lean, which is comparable to my K16GT in stock config. I can ride the K16 to the moon and back without any fatigue or soreness in relation to the angle and reach to the bars, so my C14 should be in the same ballpark in terms of comfort in that category.   
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 03:06:14 PM »
I use Phil's Wedges  (which later became Murph's Wedges)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2644
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6252
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3312
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=605
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1019
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16889
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8733

Max search magic to the rescue....

PS- "Heli Bars" is a company, not a product.  You have to specify if you are talking about risers or Horizons...  It sounds like you are talking about possibly using Horizons, which are VERY configurable and VERY expensive.  Try the wedges first, they work and are cheap.  If you want more info on Horizons, you now know the magic search word...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Snype

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 04:52:10 PM »
Yes, I am looking at the horizons.  I am not sure they re as configurable as they sound.  The distance between the headstock mount and the hand grip articulation cannot be modified.  Further, the height and fore/aft adjustment is mainly a function of rotating the bars withing the clip, in the exact same fashion as a simple single bar in clamps. 

What I really want off of these is the adjustable hand grips, and perhaps a little wider. 

I tried risers and was pushed too far back and they did nothing for the wrist angle; which is the biggest issue.  If I could simply rotate them out a few degrees....  Stupid Kawasaki for not making those adjustable!!

Snype

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 09:56:33 PM »
the wrist angle; which is the biggest issue.  If I could simply rotate them out a few degrees....

Try the wedges.  The don't exactly rotate, but they have that effect- straightening the grips a few degrees.  I have bad carpal tunnel syndrome and it help noticeably.  In your case, use without the risers.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 06:06:40 AM »
I have Heli Bars & they are the best. Being able to adjust the angle of the grips took away ALL of my wrist pain !!. As far as being able to ride sporty with them I have no problems & anyone here who has ridden with me at RTE's can vouch I'm always in group in the front !
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 07:02:21 AM »
I have Heli Bars & they are the best.

You have Heli Bars Horizons.  Most people have Heli Bars that are not Horizons.  "Heli Bars" is a company, not a specific model or product.  It is like saying "I have Kawasaki" instead of "I have a Concours" (Deja Vu!)

Being able to adjust the angle of the grips took away ALL of my wrist pain !!. As far as being able to ride sporty with them I have no problems & anyone here who has ridden with me at RTE's can vouch I'm always in group in the front !

I seriously considered them before I tried the Wedges.  Came pretty close to buying them, but ultimately was too lazy to deal with the brake lines and grips.  I still wonder if I should have gotten them- I love adjust ability.  Plus Horizons are cool looking.

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
Try the wedges.  The don't exactly rotate, but they have that effect- straightening the grips a few degrees.  I have bad carpal tunnel syndrome and it help noticeably.  In your case, use without the risers.

I may be the only person who hated the wedges. I made it 80 miles into an 800 mile day before pulling over and removing them. They were painful for me. I know they help a lot of people and they are very well thought out and very well made. I should get around to selling them here one of these days. They have been languishing in my garage for a few years.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 02:21:53 PM »
I may be the only person who hated the wedges. I made it 80 miles into an 800 mile day before pulling over and removing them. They were painful for me. I know they help a lot of people and they are very well thought out and very well made.

Given human variability, I doubt you are the only one.  It is a lot like shoes, keyboards, seats, just about any human-interface... sometimes you like and it helps, sometimes not.

I should get around to selling them here one of these days. They have been languishing in my garage for a few years.

Perhaps Snype would buy them from ya!

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »
Snype
You might check on the handlebars from Precision Engineering in Kallispell, MT.  They make a very adjustable handlebar, you can rotate the mount of the hand grips, extend the length of the risers and change the angel of the riser all independently. 
http://www.preeng.com/xcart/home.php
I have had mine for almost 5 years and have been able to adjust them exactly as I want them.
PM me if you have any questions.
Milton Jack (SW ROADRUNNER)
(520) 559-1786

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 05:16:30 PM »
You have Heli Bars Horizons.  Most people have Heli Bars that are not Horizons.  "Heli Bars" is a company, not a specific model or product.  It is like saying "I have Kawasaki" instead of "I have a Concours" (Deja Vu!)

I seriously considered them before I tried the Wedges.  Came pretty close to buying them, but ultimately was too lazy to deal with the brake lines and grips.  I still wonder if I should have gotten them- I love adjust ability.  Plus Horizons are cool looking.

I read his questions clearly & 100% understood he was asking about Horizons, When he asked " How hard is it, and how did you remove/replace the factory grips and retain heating?" You can understand he would not be asking about the grips if he was talking about risers !. Don't be so fast on the old trigger there cowboy  :banana
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 06:47:22 PM »
I read his questions clearly & 100% understood he was asking about Horizons, When he asked " How hard is it, and how did you remove/replace the factory grips and retain heating?" You can understand he would not be asking about the grips if he was talking about risers !. Don't be so fast on the old trigger there cowboy  :banana

Helibars has been making lots of products long before they introduced the Horizons... Sometimes it isn't clear.  And for sure, if the actual product name isn't listed at some point, nobody will ever find threads relating to it with search.  There is a method to my madness.... per perhaps I am just crazy  :o   Or both!

Offline Snype

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 05:10:53 PM »
Preeng does not seem to be making them.  They are pictured on their site for $995 and the link is dead.  Grrrr..

Anyone else??
Snype

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »
I aquired a set of old style c10 adjustable Helibars and a set of LSL riser/adapters, both from members of either this forum or the Cog forum a few years back. Other than the Horizon and P.E. bars there isthe LSL conversion mentioned earlier and this from Japan.. https://japan.webike.net/products/3452900.html .  There is also this http://www.dx.com/p/moxi-universal-aluminum-alloy-steering-handle-bar-for-motorcycle-black-308489#.WjcP6_CnG01

IIRC someone on the other forum tried these. I don't recall the followup if there was one.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline Snype

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 09:10:18 AM »
Answered: 

I talked to Heli Bars.  They are more than happy to do a custom order to my specs, without adding any extra charge (15% restocking fee if I returned them). 

Now the hard part... saving up the $650. 

Perhaps we could get a group buy if enough of us are interested.  Anyone???

Snype

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
I talked to Heli Bars.  They are more than happy to do a custom order to my specs, without adding any extra charge (15% restocking fee if I returned them). 

Interesting.  I guess this means they don't stock them but make them on-demand.  I suppose that is probably to be expected with a low-volume item.  Curious, what exact changes would you ask them to make on your set of Horizons?

Offline Snype

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 07:59:22 AM »
Shorter.  I like the original bar position, but really need to change the wrist angle and maybe widen them a little

Snype

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
Shorter.  I like the original bar position, but really need to change the wrist angle and maybe widen them a little

If it is short enough, you might be able to get away without the brakes/clutch line extenders, which would be nice.  Seems unlikely, though.