Author Topic: First Trip to the Mountains of 2018  (Read 5679 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
First Trip to the Mountains of 2018
« on: March 18, 2018, 07:00:40 PM »
Well, I finally made it back out to the mountains today. It was the first time riding out there this year and the first time I had the Concours in the Mountains. For those familiar with the area, I took Route 6 up to Afton Mountain and rode the BRP down to Route 60. I always have to take Route 60 west into Buena Vista. That is one of my favorite stretches of road out there. I turned around at the visitors center, and headed east on 60 back home. There was still some snow and ice up on the BRP, but the road was clear and dry. I took some good pictures while I was up there.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: First Trip to the Mountains of 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:13:20 PM »
Wow that Candy Imperial Blue really pops. I like it!  :thumbs:

Any body know how it compares to 2013's Metallic Nocturne Blue?...... lighter? darker? about the same? Clearly much lighter than '10's Candy Neptune Blue

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:10:07 AM »

Any body know how it compares to 2013's Metallic Nocturne Blue?...... lighter? darker? about the same? Clearly much lighter than '10's Candy Neptune Blue

Great looking color and bike spoiled by that huge black donkey dong..

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 04:28:25 PM »

They have gotten progressively lighter, although, 2013 is lighter in the sun than it looks in the picture below. My 2017 changes a lot depending on the light also.

Candy Neptune Blue (2010)

Metallic Nocturne Blue (2013)

Candy Imperial Blue (2017)

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 04:38:09 PM »
Great looking color and bike spoiled by that huge black donkey dong..

That is enough of that! I have resisted the urge to start modifying the Concours so far. I don't need any encouragement.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 04:45:33 PM »
Leaving it on there could be considered bike abuse.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 05:10:55 PM »
Leaving it on there could be considered bike abuse.

I agree, it looks ridiculous, but I kind of like having one of my bikes quiet. I also know that once I change exhaust, I will want / need an ECU flash, throttle bodies, headers, etc, etc, etc. Then I'm right down the rabbit hole again.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 05:32:58 PM »
  8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 06:28:33 PM »
I agree, it looks ridiculous, but I kind of like having one of my bikes quiet. I also know that once I change exhaust, I will want / need an ECU flash, throttle bodies, headers, etc, etc, etc. Then I'm right down the rabbit hole again.

1) It doesn't look ridiculous, it looks just fine.  At least it does with the bags on... but most of us never take those off, anyway.
2) It is not restrictive with the rest of the system, as designed.  Replacing it will not net "any" power.  It will  just sound different (usually annoying, at least to me), save a few pounds (skip a meal or three), and look different.
3) You will want an ECU flash.  It will change the bike in ways you will VERY much notice and appreciate.  Do if after you have ridden a while (and pushed the bike hard) and you will appreciate it a lot more.
4) Flashing in no way requires replacing the muffler.  Reflashing is the best money you can ever spend on the C14 except maybe necessary ergonomic stuff and the extended warranty.
5) Flashing AND replacing the muffler nets almost nothing over just flashing.

Now, if you want to replace the whole exhaust system (muffler, pipes, header) and TB, THAT is a different story (and it will require a different/custom flash, too).  But you don't have to go down that path unless you just like spending lots and lots of money (and it is not a great return on the money).  Flash first and see, and you will likely have no interest in that other stuff  :)

So my advice for spending money on the C14 is:

1) Buy the extended warranty immediately.
2) Get it comfortable to ride (seat/bars/height).
3) Add extra brake lights/running lights, larger horns, etc if you feel it is necessary for safety.
4) Learn and appreciate the bike, push it hard.  Then reflash it.
5) Farkle it with convenience and more comfort stuff- equipment chargers, trickle charger, extra lights, mounts, coms, grips, screens, deflectors, fall protection (like Canyon Cages), throttle lock, maybe cruise.
6) Cosmetic stuff.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 08:14:57 PM »
1) It doesn't look ridiculous, it looks just fine.  At least it does with the bags on... but most of us never take those off, anyway.
2) It is not restrictive with the rest of the system, as designed.  Replacing it will not net "any" power.  It will  just sound different (usually annoying, at least to me), save a few pounds (skip a meal or three), and look different.
3) You will want an ECU flash.  It will change the bike in ways you will VERY much notice and appreciate.  Do if after you have ridden a while (and pushed the bike hard) and you will appreciate it a lot more.
4) Flashing in no way requires replacing the muffler.  Reflashing is the best money you can ever spend on the C14 except maybe necessary ergonomic stuff and the extended warranty.

Now, if you want to replace the whole exhaust system (muffler, pipes, header) and TB, THAT is a different story (and it will require a different/custom flash, too).  But you don't have to go down that path unless you just like spending lots and lots of money (and it is not a great return on the money).  Flash first and see, and you will likely have no interest in that other stuff  :)

3) Add extra brake lights/running lights, larger horns, etc if you feel it is necessary for safety.
5) Farkle it with convenience and more comfort stuff- equipment chargers, trickle charger, extra lights, mounts, coms, grips, screens, deflectors, fall protection (like Canyon Cages), throttle lock, maybe cruise.
6) Cosmetic stuff.

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing an ECU flash at some point fairly soon. The question is if I will be doing any other performance mods or not. I've been purposely holding back on the mods. I'm what you would call a mod-addict. I exceeded the MSRP of my M109 in mods. That was when I quit keeping track of how much I had spent on it. Did a few more mods after that. I almost had as much as the MSRP into my Can-Am XMR1000. I'm over half way there on my Magnum! I still have a pile of boxes in the garage full of new parts for the Magnum that I haven't installed yet. I did several mods to my wife's Can-Am Spyder over the winter this year. The mod bug bit me and I still haven't found a cure!

1) done - I bought the bike from Ultimate Cycles and bought the extended warranty from them at the forum price when I bought the bike.
2) done for the most part. I added grip puppies. I haven't decided if I want the bars a little higher or not. Going to give it a little more time before I decide. The forward lean gets me a little, but I'm not sure if it is just a matter of getting used to it or not. No issues at all with the stock seat and pegs.
3) Maybe do that stuff next winter or over a rainy weekend. I mostly just plan on installing LED headlights along with the 2 little lights in-between the headlights.
4) already been pushing it. You have to hold back a little on the launches to keep the front wheel down in the first 3 gears.  :finger_fing11:
5) Already did the GPS. Trying to figure out a way to mount my phone so I can connect it to the GPS for weather and traffic updates on the Garmin app. (This bike has no where to mount anything easily!) Already did a trickle charger. I haven't found any crash bars I like the looks of yet. (I know that is not their purpose, but if they don't look halfway decent, I'll never put them on) I still think Cruise Control is needed. I'll most likely do that one over the winter. It is a big project!
6) Doubt I'll do any cosmetic mods. I bought this bike to ride! My M109 takes care of the bike night and bike show duties.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 09:20:13 PM »

6) Cosmetic stuff.

I've been reading up on flashing the ECU. It looks like there are 3 people doing it.  You had listed in another thread that there is Steve in FL, Ivan in NY, and Guhl? Who is that and where is he located? Any other differences in the three flashes besides the torque numbers down low that you mentioned? Only website I've been able to find was Ivan's. Anyone have links to the other two? Just want to do some reading about each one.

Thanks!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 09:57:13 PM »
I've been reading up on flashing the ECU. It looks like there are 3 people doing it.  You had listed in another thread that there is Steve in FL, Ivan in NY, and Guhl? Who is that and where is he located? Any other differences in the three flashes besides the torque numbers down low that you mentioned? Only website I've been able to find was Ivan's. Anyone have links to the other two? Just want to do some reading about each one.

Thanks!

http://www.guhlmotors.com/kawasaki-reflash.html

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/concours1400

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 10:59:49 PM »
Any other differences in the three flashes besides the torque numbers down low that you mentioned?

Guhl was first... which is why I have that flash.  I haven't heard much about his work for several years now.  Unlike Steve and Ivan, he didn't put much of anything in the flash that helps with smoothness and handling, just power and responsiveness.  So unless some other information comes out that he has revised his work, I would advise against Guhl's because his now costs a little more and yet offers less in return.  As an early adopter, I am now kinda stuck (but hey, I have been enjoying many/most of the benefits for a lot longer).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 10:16:49 AM »

6) Cosmetic stuff.

Pretty good lists max', you might want to add ditch/replace the stock Bridgestone tires somewhere between #3 and #5 of the second list.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 11:21:36 AM »
Pretty good lists max', you might want to add ditch/replace the stock Bridgestone tires somewhere between #3 and #5 of the second list.

Only 1805 miles on mine, but I've been happy with them so far. If there are better options out there, it is going to be one really fun ride!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:08:50 PM by Poseidon »
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »
Only 1805 miles on mine, but I've been happy with them so far. If there are better options out there, it is going to be one really fun ride!

I would do it before #4! You'll be lucky to get 4,500 out them anyway.

You can't imagine how much better it can be. You have to trust us on this.

I have a little experience with tires on these bikes. I've been through a couple sets since buying mine new.  ???
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »

I have a little experience with tires on these bikes. I've been through a couple sets since buying mine new.  ???

The more he wears out the stock tires, the more he'll feel and appreciate new tires.

Most tires feel good when they're new.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »

Well, I thought about adding that to the list, originally, but few people are going to spend that money until they are at least mostly worn out.  I figured that is more maintenance, like oil changes and differential oil.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »

I have to agree that the stock tires are not all that great, but it is a big expense.

The more he wears out the stock tires, the more he'll feel and appreciate new tires.

Most tires feel good when they're new.

True that.  The biggest difference with better tires is that they feel good for much, much longer.