Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 674798 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3040 on: March 11, 2018, 11:15:57 PM »
my mum was a nurse :)

Wow, you really know your thermometers Mike. Or the orifi (is that the plural of orifice?) that they are supposed to be stuck in.

:-)

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3041 on: March 12, 2018, 03:48:19 AM »
Had to buy a new meat thermometer (Easy Boys!) due to a probe failure (Boys!). Happen to see the same type I already had and liked now available in a dual probe model, so I grabbed one of those.

Now the thought has occurred to me that given this hardware, I might finally be able to answer the age- old question 'what is the difference between an oral and a rectal thermometer'. And no, the oft- stated answer that one 'tastes bad' is merely a joke with no truth in it (as far as I know). So now I am off to get the definitive answer, as soon as I can find a viable, willing (or at least drunk enough) person to actually test. Tried it on the kitten but found I could not.... er, 'insert' either probe in either orifice. Man are her claws sharp!

BTW: the actual answer to the question is one- degree F. I will let you decide which place is warmer....

Brian

Soooo, how many drinks did you end up having?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3042 on: March 12, 2018, 09:25:18 AM »
Several actually. But what does that have to do with me finding a suitable test subject? Oh wait, you are NOT suggesting..... yeah, that ain't gonna' happen.

:D

Brian

Soooo, how many drinks did you end up having?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3043 on: March 12, 2018, 10:05:23 AM »
How far would you go to maintain or especially, restore good health? Pretty big distance, right? The road to health used to be even longer before the FDA and other groups stopped the manufacturer and sale and use of so many helpful devices and products.

Two come to mind: the first being radioactive water.

Yep, water laced with Radium and other radioactive materials to 'cure what ailed you'. And you can be sure it was safe, what with the triple distilled water and all. If you are not convinced, just look at the case of Mr. Ebenezer McBurney Byers; Mr. Byers was a athlete and when he fell out of a sleeping car berth and injured his arm, his doctor suggested he take Radithor, a product readily available. Well, Mr. Byers arm healed, proof that the Radithor was good stuff, so he continuted to consume it.... 1,400 bottles in all. This started in 1927, and by the time Mr. Byers stopped taking this magical stuff in 1930, he had accumulated enough Radium in his bones that his jaw had to be removed, his brain was absessed adn there where holes formed in his skull. When Mr. Byers died in 1932, it was attributed to 'radiation poisoning' but that was NOT the cause, various cancers were. See, I told you it was good stuff! He was buried in a lead- lined coffin and when exhumed in 1965 for further stury, his remains were found to be highly radioactive. Ah, the gift that keeps on giving. A WSJ article about this was titled "The Radium Water Worked Fine Until His Jaw Came Off".

Another rather slick device was the ole' Pedoscope.

This gem was basically a wooden box where a customer and a fitter would observe where the customers toes were w/in a set of shoes he / she was trying on. I mean when you try on shoes, do you really know where the toes end? Well with a Pedoscope shows this clearly by blasting X-rays through the customer's feet onto viewing glass (and all through the customer, the salesperson, any other shoppers, the shoe store and surrounding area), the customer would wiggle his / her toes and Viola! you knew exactly how the shoes fit. Good stuff! They came into use around 1920 but the FDA banned them in 1953. Doom-criers- there is not a single documented case of ANY harm coming to anyone from one of these things..... although there was a significant elevation of certain cancers noted in shoe store employees; I for one am willing to write that off to the poor auto seats used in those days.

So many good ideas sadly no longer available.

Brian

P.S. there are a very few Pedoscopes on display in museums but unfortunately they have all had their radiation sources removed. Further, it took years to de- contaminate them sufficiently to all unprotected persons anywhere near them.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3044 on: March 13, 2018, 03:59:11 AM »
Nice story Brian.    :o

Which leads me to post this gem, again.

Science kits these days don’t contain many items that you couldn’t already find around the house: salt, balloons, magnets and a few odds and ends. But kids who were lucky enough to have wealthy parents in the early 1950s had the unprecedented chance to play with uranium ore in this very cool science kit. The Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab was only sold from 1951 to 1952, and at the time its $50 price tag was too steep for many families.

The kit came with four different types of uranium ore, a geiger counter, a miniature cloud chamber, an electroscope, a spinthariscope and an educational comic book called “Learn How Dagwood Splits the Atom!” Kids could perform their own experiments at home to discover the secrets of radioactive materials and learn how they made “clean, safe” atomic energy. The kit even included a government manual called “Prospecting for Uranium,” which claimed to be able to help kids discover new sources of uranium and be rewarded with $10,000 from the US government.

Because the radioactive sources only have a finite life, the instruction manual came with a handy re-order form on the back cover. Unfortunately, the product wasn’t on the market long enough for those ores to degrade, much less be re-ordered. There’s no way parents today would let their kids play with radioactive materials, but this science kit has become a much-sought-after collector’s item. Complete sets can sell for more than 100 times the kit’s initial cost.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3045 on: March 13, 2018, 03:59:58 AM »
Several actually. But what does that have to do with me finding a suitable test subject? Oh wait, you are NOT suggesting..... yeah, that ain't gonna' happen.

:D

Brian

Why yes, I was suggesting.    ;)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3046 on: March 13, 2018, 08:54:04 AM »
Only 13 bones were found on the island and only 13 bones were analyzed. What became of the other bones? It's logical to assume that animals may have had something to do with the missing bones. Maybe animals had something to do with the missing navigator's remains? Maybe the plane crashed into the water and he was killed and never made landfall? Who knows.

It's interesting to me that those 13 bones disappeared. How could that happen in such a high profile case? More likely those bones are in someone personal collection somewhere...

Agree! But also keep in mind that a year later the world, including the south pacific was embroiled in the worst conflict in history. Anything could have happened to evidence still on the island as well as the bones on Fiji. We are never going to get to 100% certainty.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3047 on: March 13, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »
Well you know Conrad, that might be an OK idea after all. Why don't you stop by here and we can have a couple of drinks and discuss it some more..... You are feeling OK, right? No fever or anything like that?

;D

Brian

Why yes, I was suggesting.    ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3048 on: March 14, 2018, 04:01:08 AM »
Well you know Conrad, that might be an OK idea after all. Why don't you stop by here and we can have a couple of drinks and discuss it some more..... You are feeling OK, right? No fever or anything like that?

;D

Brian

To tell the truth, I have been feeling a bit under the weather for the last couple of days. I think that my fever broke last night though and I'm feeling better this morn than I have since Saturday. This is the first time that I've been ill since I retired. I haven't missed it.

Thanks for asking and thanks for the invite!  :)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3049 on: March 14, 2018, 10:35:54 AM »
Hey, if you do stop by, we can check on that fever.... and see if it has broken across your entire body.

Brian

To tell the truth, I have been feeling a bit under the weather for the last couple of days. I think that my fever broke last night though and I'm feeling better this morn than I have since Saturday. This is the first time that I've been ill since I retired. I haven't missed it.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3050 on: March 14, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
Back in 1971, Rep. Tom Moore, Jr. of Waco, Texas sponsored a resolution commending Albert de Salvo for his unselfish service to “his county, his state and his community.” That resolution read, in part:

"This compassionate gentleman’s dedication and devotion to his work has enabled the weak and the lonely throughout the nation to achieve and maintain a new degree of concern for their future. He has been officially recognized by the state of Massachusetts for his noted activities and unconventional techniques involving population control and applied psychology."

The bill was passed unanimously. This provided proof to Mr. Moore that his fellow legislatures really did not pay sufficient attention or properly vet the items they were passing.

Albert de Salvo is better known as The Boston Strangler and was convicted and imprisoned on multiple counts of rape, and admitted he also killed 13 of his victims between 1962 and 1964.

Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3051 on: March 14, 2018, 10:49:02 AM »
Back in 1971, Rep. Tom Moore, Jr. of Waco, Texas sponsored a resolution commending Albert de Salvo for his unselfish service to “his county, his state and his community.” That resolution read, in part:

"This compassionate gentleman’s dedication and devotion to his work has enabled the weak and the lonely throughout the nation to achieve and maintain a new degree of concern for their future. He has been officially recognized by the state of Massachusetts for his noted activities and unconventional techniques involving population control and applied psychology."

The bill was passed unanimously. This provided proof to Mr. Moore that his fellow legislatures really did not pay sufficient attention or properly vet the items they were passing.

Albert de Salvo is better known as The Boston Strangler and was convicted and imprisoned on multiple counts of rape, and admitted he also killed 13 of his victims between 1962 and 1964.

Brian

Wow! I'm going to have to remember that one. Kind of like the petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3052 on: March 15, 2018, 04:06:56 AM »

Hey, if you do stop by, we can check on that fever.... and see if it has broken across your entire body.

Brian

You seem very eager to 'check my temp' with your new thermometer.  :o    ;)

I wanted to revise my statement a bit.

"This is the first time that I've been ill since I retired."

Upon further review. This is the second time that I've been ill since I retired in December 2013.

The first time was right after our most recent presidential election...     :-X

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3053 on: March 15, 2018, 04:16:31 AM »
 :banana :banana :banana

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3054 on: March 16, 2018, 05:38:02 PM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3055 on: March 16, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »
I wanted to revise my statement a bit.

"This is the first time that I've been ill since I retired."

Upon further review. This is the second time that I've been ill since I retired in December 2013.

The first time was right after our most recent presidential election...     :-X

Can you imagine how much sicker you'd have been had Hellary won?!  :'(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3056 on: March 17, 2018, 07:46:58 AM »
Can you imagine how much sicker you'd have been had Hellary won?!  :'(

Hey now. I didn't mention any names or why I was sick, now did I? My comment eludes to what made me sick but you're comment is specific and has made it political.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #3057 on: March 20, 2018, 03:31:34 PM »
Tip of the hat to some much maligned govt. agencies. e-filed my Federal & State tax returns on Saturday, 3/10 and the Federal refund was in my bank account on Friday 3/16 and the State refund today, 3/20.
Shouldn't be ecstatic over the return of my own money, but still....... :)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3058 on: April 22, 2018, 07:35:26 AM »
How long can a car run with wooden pistons? Yes, that's right, wood pistons, four of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=rO-ttUAiVDw

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3059 on: April 22, 2018, 08:44:19 AM »
“I love this knife.  It’s an amazing knife...”  :rotflmao:
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.