Author Topic: Vote to allow lane splitting, do this NOW  (Read 12981 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Vote to allow lane splitting, do this NOW
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
Exactly! +1

Indeed.  And IF it were a Federal issue (which it is not), it would be a CONGRESS issue, not the White House.  Despite what presidents seem to think over the past several terms, they are not supposed to set/make law, they are supposed to enforce it.  But that is just back to that pesky and inconvenient Constitution thing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 04:12:22 PM »
No, it would be a bureaucratic regulation from the DOT. They're the fedgov and they don't need no stinkin' laws.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 04:50:32 PM »
No, it would be a bureaucratic regulation from the DOT. They're the fedgov and they don't need no stinkin' laws.

Ug
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 04:51:48 PM »
Since it involves use of fuel, we could get rhe EPA involved.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 12:30:41 AM »
Luckily for us down here in the RSA, lane splitting is legal. However, it is a requirement that indicators be used when crossing the lines. I live about 13Km (miles?) from work and use the N2 (National road = Interstate in the US) to travel.

Contractors have been busy with road works on this stretch of road for a few months already, which caused lane closures. Luckily it was summer, and using the bike to commute between home and work was what kept me from becoming insane with road rage.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 01:58:46 AM »
I split lanes on and off for about 30 miles this afternoon through the rush hour traffic.

It is safe if done with a bit of caution.   Been doing it for over 40 years, and have not hit a car yet.  I have grazed a mirror or two...but it is a safe and time-saving practice when done properly.

We should make it legal, and then see if Max still thinks it is a bad idea...Hey Max!

dat
sax
man
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 06:19:40 AM »
We should make it legal, and then see if Max still thinks it is a bad idea...Hey Max!

I would love to see how it plays out if it were legal, although I am not sure I want to be a player :)  Drivers are already so bad around here, I have to give thanks every time I make it to a destination safely.

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 07:43:52 PM »
they've tried to get legislation in front of the State a few times here in Texas...if they made it legal here tomorrow, I wouldn't split a lane for ten years--the drivers in this state would go out of their way to try and kill a motorcyclist splitting lanes, legal or not
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 08:22:28 PM »
I'd be very nervous lane spitting but I lived in Europe for a few months and all motorcyclists did it there. I never had an opportunity to ride but I think cars would have looked at me funny if I were to sit in traffic and not lane split. I think that's the biggest problem here. Most drivers are not used to it. Like RBX said, some would go out of their way to stop you even if it means killing you.

I did it in California.  You get used to it. I was on my C14 with ginormous bags too.  A helping factor was that we were at a dead stop on I-215 and it was 95F, so yeah, we did it.

People may want to kill you but really, they already do want to kill you and many other people.  But there are laws and they don't want the needle that might come with killing you.  So they don't. 

Drivers aren't used to it but they would get used to it.  Even in CA, where it's been legal for years, people move over to cut you off. But you just slow down for a second and eventually, things open up and away you go.  That was maybe 1% of the time.  50% of the time, people saw you coming and actually made room.  It was VERY cool to see that.  When I did it, traffic was stopped or at 15 mph or less.   Once traffic picked up, say 35 or so, I would just drop in with traffic.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 12:36:49 PM »
California has legal land splitting and I believe the most motorcycles per capita yet they don't have many issues with it. The California law is "Lane sharing/ splitting is allowed as long as traffic is flowing below 15 mph. There will always be riders & drivers who abuse any priveledge, laws or rules but that doesn't mean the crest of us should be prevented from enjoying or exercising those same rights. It becomes a matter & freedom of choice. If you don't want to lane split or wear a helmet, then dont! Just makes sense.
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 01:29:49 PM »
California has legal land splitting and I believe the most motorcycles per capita yet they don't have many issues with it. The California law is "Lane sharing/ splitting is allowed as long as traffic is flowing below 15 mph. There will always be riders & drivers who abuse any priveledge, laws or rules but that doesn't mean the crest of us should be prevented from enjoying or exercising those same rights. It becomes a matter & freedom of choice. If you don't want to lane split or wear a helmet, then dont! Just makes sense.

There are no laws in California dealing with "lane sharing/splitting". It isn't specifically addressed in the vehicle code. There are recommendations posted on several motorcycle forums and there are a few efforts underway to codify a legal definition of lane sharing so that the practice can be standardized and limits established for "delta" speeds (among other details).

Dan

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 01:59:40 PM »
Do the motocops in Cali partake in this lane splitting/sharing as a routine practice?

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 02:09:35 PM »
There are no laws in California dealing with "lane sharing/splitting". It isn't specifically addressed in the vehicle code. There are recommendations posted on several motorcycle forums and there are a few efforts underway to codify a legal definition of lane sharing so that the practice can be standardized and limits established for "delta" speeds (among other details).

Dan

If something is not illegal, it is automatically legal- unless it is morally or ethically unjust.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »
If something is not illegal, it is automatically legal- unless it is morally or ethically unjust.

(Of course, that is generally correct, but I just had to add...)

Is that like the Constitution where it says the powers not specifically granted to the Fed by the Constitution belong to the States and the People?

We can see how well THAT turned out!

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2016, 03:52:45 PM »
Do the motocops in Cali partake in this lane splitting/sharing as a routine practice?

They do all the time, and in Walnut Creek and Napa they ride C-14's much to the chagrin of speeders who might try to outrun them.

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2016, 05:08:18 PM »
I did it for 13 years in the SF bay area and if you're ever there, you'll see almost every rider doing it and the drivers expect it. It isn't illegal in California to Lane Split/ Lane Share. When I got my motorcycle license, there was a question on the test about lane splitting and specifically mentioned the 15 mph limit.
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2016, 05:38:48 PM »
I spend a significant amount of time in SoCal and it is not at all uncommon for motorcyclists, including cops, to split lanes at speeds in excess of 50mph. Once you get used to it, it's not a big deal.

That's not motorcyclists going 50mph faster than traffic, that's traffic going 50mph and the bikes running about 15mph faster.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Hiddenmickey

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2016, 08:23:40 PM »
I split most of the way home on my commute.  The Connie works fine.  I don't think the bags are wider than the mirrors.  I don't know about the rear canyon cages though. 

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2016, 11:20:58 AM »
I did it for 13 years in the SF bay area and if you're ever there, you'll see almost every rider doing it and the drivers expect it. It isn't illegal in California to Lane Split/ Lane Share. When I got my motorcycle license, there was a question on the test about lane splitting and specifically mentioned the 15 mph limit.

Then whoever wrote the test has no knowledge of California law. There is no speed limitations or any other mention of lane splitting or lane sharing in the California Vehicle Code. There are general laws regarding unsafe vehicle operation but none specific about speed limits regarding lane sharing/splitting since there is no mention of the practice.

Dan

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2016, 11:52:38 AM »
If I may...
As somebody mentioned, it's common practice in Europe. In particular, it is illegal in Germany, however we do it, a lot. Only the Dutch seat in traffic for hours  ;)
In Italy, France, and to some extent, Poland, for example, drivers are constantly monitoring their rear view mirrors and making way for the bikes. There are two reasons: they want their mirrors to survive, and they don't gain absolutely anything cutting you off, and they know it. It's just common sense. German cagers tend to block more than any other Europeans, but that has been improving over the last decade.
So, my advice, look at those places where people do lane splitting and learn from them.
Me, I split. It just makes for a more efficient use of the road. But I'm not one of those nut cases that blast between cars Ghost Rider style. Like with most things in society, a bit of good will and civility go a long way. And I always thank the cager that moves, specially in Germany, where I want them to know that their gesture is appreciated so they feel encouraged and keep doing it.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.