Author Topic: Clutch question  (Read 5258 times)

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
Re: Clutch question
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 05:54:50 AM »
Might be blockage in the master cylinder fluid return hole in the bottom of the master. Just pulling fluid through the system from the bottom bleeder will not clean this area.

This sounds like it makes a lot of sense to me.  When your system is getting used the most, and when it's hot, things expand.
Be it air, or brake fluid I think the return hole in the master is supposed to release that pressure.  If it's not, it's activating your
clutch on it's own and it can't release it until it cools down.

I would open the reservoir up and carefully remove the fluid in there, get a small strand of wire and carefully try to clean out the smallest of the two holes in the bottom of the reservoir.  Don't touch the clutch lever at all when doing that and when done refill the reservoir half way and then try using the clutch lever slowly so no fluid splashes out. (should put some rags or such all around and under the reservoir when doing anything with the cover off)  When pulling and releasing the clutch slowly, see if you can spot any fluid coming back out the return hole when releasing the lever.

It won't cost you anything but a little brake fluid, and just may help.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 07:11:14 AM »
The biggest hassle in bleeding the clutch is that to get good access to the bleeder valve you have to take off some plastic on the left side of the bike. Be sure to cover nearby paint and plastic parts when you do the job because a drop of misplaced brake/clutch fluid will stain them.

There's no need to remove any plastic on the superior first gen C-14. All the bleeders are accessible with the plastic in place.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 07:41:20 AM »
I appreciate all this information. It certainly SOUNDS good and that you all would be able to tackle it.  Unfortunately, I find when reading anything about hydraulics and this sort that about 5 words in it all becomes Mandarine Chinese.  I just can't get my head around any of it which is why i was scouring the area for a backyard mechanic to do it (all refused due to it being a Kawasaki and not a Harley) and was left going to the dealer.  I have always needed to watch someone do something closely before I can grasp something.  Reading a manual is an exercise in futility!

I just quite literally have no comprehension of it and can't afford to get in there fooling around and tinkering and stranded for any period of time.  Hoping it will keep me going as far as getting around town till I can get in a position to take it to someone that works on them and maybe pay them to do a complete once-over on the bike.  Like I said, it seems to only be an issue when I get into a lot of stop and go over an extended period in the heat.
2008 ABS C14

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
I appreciate all this information. It certainly SOUNDS good and that you all would be able to tackle it.  Unfortunately, I find when reading anything about hydraulics and this sort that about 5 words in it all becomes Mandarine Chinese.  I just can't get my head around any of it which is why i was scouring the area for a backyard mechanic to do it (all refused due to it being a Kawasaki and not a Harley) and was left going to the dealer.  I have always needed to watch someone do something closely before I can grasp something.  Reading a manual is an exercise in futility!

I just quite literally have no comprehension of it and can't afford to get in there fooling around and tinkering and stranded for any period of time.  Hoping it will keep me going as far as getting around town till I can get in a position to take it to someone that works on them and maybe pay them to do a complete once-over on the bike.  Like I said, it seems to only be an issue when I get into a lot of stop and go over an extended period in the heat.

If you have no other option than going back to the dealer, tell them no mo dinero and do the procedure the correct way by spending the appropriate time and fluid it will take to fix a routine maintenance job. Don't let them tell you it needs a master cylinder or clutch.

Offline PH14

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »
If you have no other option than going back to the dealer, tell them no mo dinero and do the procedure the correct way by spending the appropriate time and fluid it will take to fix a routine maintenance job. Don't let them tell you it needs a master cylinder or clutch.

I had the problem the other day. I got the bike out after having sat for a while, to take to get a new front tire, tire and for Pennsylvania inspection. I had no lever action at all, it went right to the bar and didn't disengage the clutch. No amount of pumping did anything. I was able to get it started in gear, with the lever pulled in, and was able to ride. The clutch began to work. I suspected a little dirt in the line, and air. I changed the fluid last about 2 1/2 years ago.

After installing my tire and inspecting the bike, we took the cover off the reservoir and I saw some dirt. He vacuumed it out, and then fully vacuumed the line with fresh fluid. It's working well now, and still is after two days.

So he cleaned it out, changed my fluid, and they did not charge me. It's why I go to him.  He is a good mechanic, and honest. I just wish they were a Kawasaki dealer, I would have had my front tires pressure sensor changed under warranty. The sell Suzuki, Yamaha and KTM.   I hesitate to do it at the Kawasaki dealer, since when they replaced the rotors, or tire sensors in the past, they destroyed the heads of the caliper bolts. When they were done with them, they looked like they used  Torx bit.

I'm hoping I just had dirt and air in the system, otherwise I will be changing a cylinder soon.

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 12:52:48 PM »
After installing my tire and inspecting the bike, we took the cover off the reservoir and I saw some dirt. He vacuumed it out, and then fully vacuumed the line with fresh fluid. It's working well now, and still is after two days.

Yep, sounds like the same problem to me.  Thanks.  I am going to keep looking for someone that's just a mechanic that might be able to help do the above to mine.  I am hoping that's all it needs.  They are telling me they vacuumed the system but I have zero way of knowing or faith that they did.
2008 ABS C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 01:30:50 PM »
In what general area are you located?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 05:47:17 PM »
In what general area are you located?
I'm in South Mississippi close to NOLA. Rode this afternoon doing bunch of errands in low traffic and it's perfect.  Seems to only happen under worst traffic and heat conditions.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 06:33:52 PM by wtaylorc14 »
2008 ABS C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 10:14:03 AM »
I was asking in case one of our members was close to you and might assist.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 01:15:06 PM »
I was asking in case one of our members was close to you and might assist.
Thanks. I rode all over the county today. Not an issue.  Moderate traffic.  Think I am going to get a speed bleeder and just try to find someone that can walk me through.  I know there are those DVDs but I don't think they cover replacing the slave, etc.  But they do cover bleeding.  Anyone know if they are still available for purchase? 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:09:34 PM by wtaylorc14 »
2008 ABS C14

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »
Thanks. I road all over the county today. Not an issue.  Moderate traffic.  Think I am going to get a speed bleeder and just try to find someone that can walk me through.  I know there are those DVDs but I don't think they cover replacing the slave, etc.  But they do cover bleeding.  Anyone know if they are still available for purchase?

If and when you buy a MityVac and DVD, don't forget to also do new brake fluid-and there are 2 bleeders at the rear brake-both are important to service every 2 years or so.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 04:49:18 PM »
A motion Pro bleeder is better than speed bleeders. I have no problem bleeding the brake or clutch with it.
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0143
Are you in Stone or Harrison county? I am in Louisiana about 120 miles from Biloxi. Might be able to get over there to help.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 05:08:34 PM »
A motion Pro bleeder is better than speed bleeders. I have no problem bleeding the brake or clutch with it.
Are you in Stone or Harrison county? I am in Louisiana about 120 miles from Biloxi. Might be able to get over there to help.
You must be close to Baton Rouge?  Heck, that bleeder is cheap. I'd be willing to buy one of those sometime and ride to you to walk through proper use.
2008 ABS C14

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 07:05:16 PM »
Heck, that bleeder is cheap. I'd be willing to buy one of those

That is the bleeder I used and have had no problems with air bubbles.  It made the job pretty fast, too.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 07:54:43 PM »
I'm in St. Francisville, 30 miles north of Baton Rouge. You are more than welcome to use mine but it is a cheap tool every rider should have. I  am starting 2 to 4 weeks of pt on Monday but should be free on weekends (but not this Saturday - track day.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 09:20:15 PM »

IMHO that is better on all aspects, than the expected outcome on speedbleeders/  don't get me wrong, they work for many people, but sometimes they don't... and that lies on "user installation/usage"... I don't use them, I bleed manually. Just ;ike my grandpa did.... takes time, but again, I ain't posting things about how someone "vacuuumed" my system, and I don't have clutch or brake function..  and not saying the S/B's made a differ, when people suck fluids from a master, to a slave bleeder.... (someone posted issues recently... I say force fluids back up to a master, as bubbles flow up, and forcing fluids upwards, moves them, and the bubbles.. to exit at tha top...)... mmmmkay?

by far, just make sure to fill and purge the hoses, and bleeder check valve prior and during use... no connection with the product, I just trust it much more

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2019, 05:46:22 AM »
and that lies on "user installation/usage"... [...] by far, just make sure to fill and purge the hoses, and bleeder check valve prior and during use...

Yep, like with most things, the procedure and method is just as important as the equipment used.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline route66tc

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2019, 07:37:38 AM »
This might take a little of the mystery out of master cylinder work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njKRhPwHOaM

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 07:58:49 AM »
I say force fluids back up to a master, as bubbles flow up, and forcing fluids upwards, moves them, and the bubbles.. to exit at tha top...)... mmmmkay?

Anyone try one of these?
https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Systems-2104-B-Reverse-Bleeder/dp/B00GRV800S/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=Hydraulic+Brake+Bleeder&qid=1571233470&sr=8-9
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 03:53:07 PM »
Anyone try one of these?
https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Systems-2104-B-Reverse-Bleeder/dp/B00GRV800S/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=Hydraulic+Brake+Bleeder&qid=1571233470&sr=8-9

looks to be an interesting tool set, but I'm basically real cheap... Got some HUGE horse sized syringes from a local horse vet, which when clear tube is attached to them, and clamped tight, you can "push" fluid pretty easily up back thru flushing/purging the lines.. worked like a charm, and din't cost me anything.... I said I was cheap...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..