Author Topic: Maybe last ride tomorrow, winter looming.  (Read 978 times)

Offline Strawboss

Maybe last ride tomorrow, winter looming.
« on: November 13, 2020, 10:58:59 AM »
No real snow yet, flurries last week but an incredible string of warm weather these last few weeks. Anyway, off tomorrow and headed to Hartville Hardware for some socks for my dad and Marshallville Packing for some sausage. We always get smacked after warm weather in Oct and Nov with a cold front coming across warm Lake Erie and produces snow, not a big deal but the salt and calcium chloride is, probably this week. I'll take the Concours as the Beemer has no fairing and it's supposed to be 50. A good 150 mile day.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Maybe last ride tomorrow, winter looming.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 02:07:09 PM »
I intend to do the same. But I think my ride is going to be around town running some errands and then we'll see. I try ride in the winter. Our local weatherman says we will not have much in the way of winter weather so I am happy. Maybe more riding this winter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 06:08:29 AM »
I'd like to ride this weekend but I'm working both days.. :'(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 08:19:45 AM »
I changed the oils, pulled the battery, and mouse proofed the bike as well as I can and covered her up last week. In place of the battery I put a poison mouse bait trap. Gives the lil buggers something to snack on instead of the bike's wiring. Connie is all tucked in for a long winters nap.

The weather is looking good for next week though. I haven't put the Miata up yet...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 06:52:01 AM »
I'm waiting too as if we get through the next few days and the snow stays east and they don't load the roads up with salt...... maybe. ;D

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 07:01:06 AM »
I won't ride if there is snow/ice on the roads.
Otherwise I ride year round but I try to avoid salted roads.
One of the benefits of our mild (although quite wet) climate.  ;D

Can't ride at the moment as our Lockdown 2.0 restricts me to a 5 mile radius of my house and essential journeys only.
I'm not objecting as it seems to be working to flatten out the 2nd wave of Covid but I look forward to the end of it so I can go blitz some twisties.

In the meantime I've done a service on Vivian (oil, filter, air-filter) and have done a few jobs on Otto including re-attaching the rubber skirt to the rear inner fender and cleaned up and resprayed the rear brake torque arm and caliper bracket. Shortly I will get Otto's original engine on the bench and start stripping it down for a full rebuild.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline zgirl

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 11:00:51 PM »
No real snow yet, flurries last week but an incredible string of warm weather these last few weeks. Anyway, off tomorrow and headed to Hartville Hardware for some socks for my dad and Marshallville Packing for some sausage. We always get smacked after warm weather in Oct and Nov with a cold front coming across warm Lake Erie and produces snow, not a big deal but the salt and calcium chloride is, probably this week. I'll take the Concours as the Beemer has no fairing and it's supposed to be 50. A good 150 mile day.

So where is the ride report?   :)
It has been beautiful here, but we are looking at Monday 35/19 F with snow prediction..... Nothing like you get there.

Hope all is well with you.  Happy Thanksgiving! 
Now, I have cleaned up the Thanksgiving dishes and off to rest!
There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither of them works.
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650
COG #5995, AMA #724312, CDA #0117, BMW MOA 121177

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 06:00:50 AM »
34F night a few days earlier, and yet we ended up with a 72F Thanksgiving day.  In a few days, the forecast is for another low of 34F!  Crazy.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 09:00:56 AM »
Sorry, rode to the meat packer, two lanes all the way, very little traffic as Ohioans are scared, got some beef jerky and some smoked Slovenian sausage, rode to the hardware store, got some socks for my dad and found a deal on 2 Dewalt batteries. Rode home and saw all the farmers harvesting either corn or beans, that's all they grow here, lots and lots of corn and beans. 50 and cloudy on Thanksgiving Day. For the first time in about 30 years, we were able to get everything done before it snowed here this past week, usually we scrambling to do it in 2 days before the earth ends. 5-8 inches of snow expected today, it was 50 and sunny last 3 days.