Author Topic: Words where the pronunciation has changed over the years...  (Read 4202 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Words where the pronunciation has changed over the years...
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2020, 10:10:32 AM »
All I can do is refer to that great philosopher, Popeye in that 'I yam what I yam' and damn proud of it cause I'm different than most people I know.  I hate being lumped into a group of anything (present company excepted of course).  Pisses me off, it does.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2020, 10:42:02 AM »
And yet another thing that grips me...is hearing someone doing something 'Like a Boss'.  WTF does that mean?  I literally cringe when I hear it used.  I've known some pretty inept 'bosses' over the years.  Usually the Boss does nothing but manage (yeah right) and doesn't know sh*t about what is really going on.

So, based on my feelings concerning this phrase if you think you can use it to be funny.....just refer to this video.

https://youtu.be/OLvz5E61UNs

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2020, 01:07:12 PM »
I love watching English TV over here

No Welsh or Scottish or Northern Irish TV?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2020, 02:33:10 PM »
You bring up a good point.  In doing a bit of a search, there are BBC Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.  Ireland has it's own set of TV channels.  I watch BBC America which really doesn't distinguish under which area actually produced the show (not that I've looked either).  I also watch Acorn and britbox.  With that being said, the BBC uses actors and actresses from all the regions.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2020, 02:41:07 PM »
You bring up a good point. [...] I watch BBC America which really doesn't distinguish under which area actually produced the show [...] With that being said, the BBC uses actors and actresses from all the regions.

So you are watching British TV, then (the first "B" in BBC)!  Kinda like watching American TV and not so much Virginia TV, Ohio TV, Washington TV, and NY TV :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2020, 07:37:33 PM »
BBC shows are nothing like we see over here.  The humour is quite different and the cinematography is spectacular.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2020, 08:54:28 PM »
BBC shows are nothing like we see over here.  The humour is quite different

I am sure the glamour is too, as well as the general flavour and colourful production.  But I won't apologise for the defence of our labour-  I recognise some of their good work but prefer our own catalogue of dialogue.  No offense to our neighbours across the pond.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2020, 07:10:12 AM »
I am sure the glamour is too, as well as the general flavour and colourful production.  But I won't apologise for the defence of our labour-  I recognise some of their good work but prefer our own catalogue of dialogue.  No offense to our neighbours across the pond.
None taken. We get a lot of US shows over here and a great many US channels such as Discovery channels, National Geographic channels, PBS America, Fox, Paramount, CNN, CNBC, etc. In addition, some 70% of the films (movies) in our Cinemas are from the USA.

Quite apart from the 4 country versions of the BBC (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland), each region in the UK has it's own local news (BBC and the commercial channels) which is usually shown before or after the national/international news.

I use grey/gray interchangeably. My spell checker tells me that gray is incorrect w.r.t. the colour, but Gray is fine, since with the uppercase G it is a measure of radiation dose.  :D

Here we get the "like" and also "yeah?" overused in conversation.
The "Yeah" is normally used by people to try and make sure that you're still listening and is very irritating.

George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2020, 07:13:12 AM »
Yeah...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2020, 02:11:30 PM »
"I here ya."

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2020, 03:04:17 PM »
Quite apart from the 4 country versions of the BBC (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland), each region in the UK has it's own local news (BBC and the commercial channels) which is usually shown before or after the national/international news.

Almost the same here with our 50 countries (which we call states)... almost all general programming is national, then national news, then local (city/county/metro area) news.  There is little, if any, state programming.

Here we get the "like" and also "yeah?" overused in conversation.

Well, misery loves company, it seems.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2020, 10:09:54 PM »
For instance the word been.  Most US people use 'bin'.  I use the English version 'bean'.  Totally made fun of me while I was in HS here.  I love watching English TV over here as I feel at home with the language.   The word herb.  Pronounced over here 'erb'.  I pronounce it 'herb'.  The wife gives me heck over this one.

Well, then, it sounds like she should be giving you "eck".

And if you watch the old Rowan Atkinson show "Mr. Bean", are you watching "Mr. Bin"?

Personally I love watching BBC America on cable, especially the older stuff, sitcoms are a riot to me.  And of course the humor (humour?) classics: Mr. Bean, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, As Time Goes By, Dr. Who.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2020, 08:42:12 AM »
Well, then, it sounds like she should be giving you "eck".

And if you watch the old Rowan Atkinson show "Mr. Bean", are you watching "Mr. Bin"?

Personally I love watching BBC America on cable, especially the older stuff, sitcoms are a riot to me.  And of course the humor (humour?) classics: Mr. Bean, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, As Time Goes By, Dr. Who.

I pronounce that 'Mr. Bean' exactly like it's spelled...LOL.  Funny about language, as bean over here and I think over there is pronounced 'bean'.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2020, 06:32:29 PM »

I pronounce that 'Mr. Bean' exactly like it's spelled...LOL.  Funny about language, as bean over here and I think over there is pronounced 'bean'.

That's still better than the two syllable pronunciations, "be AN' " or  "BE' an".

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2020, 08:41:45 AM »
Thread revival!

Slightly off topic, but I really get annoyed with public speakers peppering their sentences with "right" and answering questions starting with "so".

Regarding accents, my siblings and I grew up with a father that was very particular about proper pronunciation. Because of that, we don't sound like most of the people in my area. We sometimes get asked about where we are from and they look surprised when we say we were born and raised here.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2020, 02:45:19 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I really get annoyed with public speakers peppering their sentences with "right" and answering questions starting with "so".

Yep, off topic, but my chief annoyance is people who are incapable of speaking without using the word "like" dozens of times.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2020, 04:52:57 PM »
Like what? Like what? Like what? Like what?  Like what?  Like, this is too much work to type Like what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2020, 05:12:11 PM »
Like what? Like what? Like what? Like what?  Like what?  Like, this is too much work to type Like what?

"I was, like, going to the store and, like, picked up some food.  The employee was all like "how can I help you?" And I had a, like, thing in my cart, it was sorta like a box. OMG!  I like, didn't know what to say!"  Etc...

I watched some on-the-street videos the other day and not a single person (there were dozens) could say more than one sentence without the word "like."  Even a well-respected podcaster I watch misuses/overuses "like."  One of my employees has been contaminated with "like" and apparently doesn't realize he is saying it all the time.  Ug.

I have to admit that I have been pushed to the limit a few times during conversations and started adding slightly-stressed "like"'s into my replies.  The other party usually looks at me a little strangely and continues on with the "likes"!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2020, 08:06:29 PM »
Like, LOL!

Offline zgirl

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2020, 03:36:29 PM »
Sooooooooo....   ;D

My Dad used to say OrBurn instead of Auburn.  Drove me nuts!

When I was a young-un in 2nd or 3rd grade, we had a speech class and the teacher recorded each of us reading and then played it back to us.  I was appalled and devastated.  How could I sound like that!!  It made me very aware at an early age to pay attention to pronunciation and temper my speech as well.

The same teacher also taught us about dialects.  I was fortunate to know people and relatives from a wide geographic area.  If I meet someone that has not moved around a lot I can usually tell what state they are from.  In the south, I can usually pick out the difference between East and West TN, MS, AL and GA.

I have lived in the south, TX and CA for the most part, but I've got enough friends from the north that I can pick you out too!   ;) ;D
There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither of them works.
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650
COG #5995, AMA #724312, CDA #0117, BMW MOA 121177