Author Topic: Piaa led h4  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Marco1018

Piaa led h4
« on: August 29, 2016, 05:20:16 PM »
Probably beating a dead horse here, but looking to see if anyone has run the piaa led h4 yet.  I know I've seen disappointing results with some Amazon/EBay setups.  These are pricier (seen in the $250 range), but they are made by piaa and I have found them to have excellent products in the past.

Link for reference.  http://www.piaa.com/store/p/808-H4-9003-High-Output-LED-Bulbs-6000k-Twin-Pack.aspx

Offline RBX QB

Re: Piaa led h4
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 05:43:20 PM »
I just found these this weekend, also. Intrigued by the "sharp cutoff" and "adjustable base" claims. There are a few reviews on Amazon right now https://www.amazon.com/PIAA-17204-White-Performance-6000K/dp/B015FL6JYY

Also some chatter on different vehicle forums... most seem positive.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 06:03:06 PM »
PIAA is, indeed, a good name.  And those certainly are pricey.  But here are some things to consider:

1) Like HID kits, these *are* going to produce a lot more glare than halogen.  How much more or less, hard to say without testing.

2) Unlike HID, they have no ballasts nor igniters to fail, although it does have a "controller" of some sort.

3) Unlike HID, they switch from high/low beam electronically, not physically.... so they have no "movement".  This is better because there is less to fail and there won't be an annoying "jitter" in the beams like in aftermarket HID kits due to the flexibility of the bulb retraction system.

4) But they do have FANS that can (and will) fail.  In a bike application, unlike a car application, those fans are likely to get wet.  If the fan slows or stops, the bulbs will fail (LED bulbs hate heat).

5) H4 bulbs are supposed to also shine light DOWN when on high-beam.  And the photos of those bulbs look a lot like HID kits with shields, up-lighting only.  This means, just like shielded HID aftermarket kits (such as the A&R), you will get only a partial high-beam pattern.  The entire bottom of the C14's reflectors will never be used.

6) 6000K is not the "correct" color when compared to OEM HID color- it is a little too blue.   I believe around 4300K is the OEM HID color on all vehicles that have factory installed projector HID systems.  But it is not crazy off... certainly not ridiculous like 8000, 10000, and even 12000
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Marco1018

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 06:18:48 PM »
I agree that no matter the design they are not the perfect solution.  I wanted the ultimate (at the time 5 years ago) lighting for my truck and split the housing to put hid projectors in.  I have no regrets, but it was a long process of making parts fit.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:13:15 PM »
I agree that no matter the design they are not the perfect solution.  I wanted the ultimate (at the time 5 years ago) lighting for my truck and split the housing to put hid projectors in.  I have no regrets, but it was a long process of making parts fit.

That is what I really want to do on the C14... but it is a LOT of work, and it is complex enough I would likely screw it up.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Mark

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:52:48 PM »
Not Piaa but CREE, not sure technically the difference, but both good names as I understand...   I installed these, pretty much plug and play (need to remove a little material from the rubber boot) and am happy enough with the results, but I don't do a lot of night riding.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GCH6CWE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I liked is no fan and the color is pretty pure white, as well as significant brightness improvement (not to mention the price).   No complaints yet from oncoming traffic for glare.