Author Topic: Tipped it in the first week  (Read 5694 times)

Offline SLH0568

Tipped it in the first week
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »
Well not sure why I'd ever tell anyone this but feel I need to get it off my chest.

Being new to the Connie club and obviously painfully unaware of how a fully faired motorcycle handles as very slow speed (my other bike is a naked SV), I attempted a low speed turn around and parking maneuver on the sidewalk of my thankfully closed office last Saturday. I had driven up to the front door dozens of times on the other bike, so why not with my 688 lb (+ fuel) 2012 Candy Arabian Red Concours that I had picked up just the prior Wednesday? Anyway, as I approached 0 mph, I leaned a little too much and well, tipped it right over as gently as I could. Should have left the training wheels on a little longer.

At first I thought it would be really bad, but was actually surprised that the damage was only cosmetic (nothing a little $115 ColorRite kit can't fix, right?). Half the fun was making three failed attempts to right it myself. Fortunately there was a maintenance guy in the building who graciously helped me get her back upright and promised not to tell anyone :-[ Only scratches to the mirror, lower fairing, and suitcase. Kinda made for a sad ride the rest of the day though. Hopefully I learned my lesson and won't repeat my mistake. On the other hand, at least I won't be afraid to get her dirty now!
2012 Concours

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
Re: Tipped it in the first week
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 07:49:29 PM »
sorry to hear of your little whups
you know what

it happens to us all  ;D
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:33:42 PM »
That sux man, sorry. You're a bigger man though for posting it!  :grouphug:

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
Sorry for your drop. This color doesn't seem like a lucky one. I've seen 2 of these bikes this week missing paint. My 08 had bad luck. Drop, drop, little dump, almost lowside, and big crash. My 2010 has been way more user friendly. LOL!
Joel from Maine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 06:28:35 AM »
Ouch! Sorry about that chief. At least you got that outta the way early.

You know that the maintenance guy isn't going to keep his mouth shut right?   ;)

Have you seen the vids on how to pick up a big girl like Connie on your own?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Z71

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »
McEnterprise bar set. Mount them on your bike before you start riding it.    :)

Offline booger

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »
Hey, now that its happened and over with, you can REALLY enjoy your bike ;)

Offline SLH0568

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 12:26:09 AM »
Well now you all tell me how to protect it before I ride it!

Too late for that I guess, lol. Unfortunately, I got a second chance to practice picking it up off its side by myself last weekend. Since the darn thing scares the dickens out of me in parking lots at low speeds I decided to take it to my empty work parking lot for some practice. I was doing really well. I was relaxed, sitting in proper form, safely making one left hand turn after another. Decided to try some right handers next. All good for about a dozen times, then attempted a sharp right turn from a stop. Well I leaned too far too soon and fell right over. Nothing broken on the bike but a lot more scrapes on it than the first time. Touch up paint isn't going to fix it this time.

Good thing was I had just watched a few videos on picking it up safely on my own and got it up no problem. So it's all good. Definitely time to go enjoy it now!
2012 Concours

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 05:28:20 AM »
Well now you all tell me how to protect it before I ride it!

Too late for that I guess, lol. Unfortunately, I got a second chance to practice picking it up off its side by myself last weekend. Since the darn thing scares the dickens out of me in parking lots at low speeds I decided to take it to my empty work parking lot for some practice. I was doing really well. I was relaxed, sitting in proper form, safely making one left hand turn after another. Decided to try some right handers next. All good for about a dozen times, then attempted a sharp right turn from a stop. Well I leaned too far too soon and fell right over. Nothing broken on the bike but a lot more scrapes on it than the first time. Touch up paint isn't going to fix it this time.

Good thing was I had just watched a few videos on picking it up safely on my own and got it up no problem. So it's all good. Definitely time to go enjoy it now!

Keep your hand away from that front brake while doing slow speed maneuvers.    :o

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SLH0568

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 09:03:27 PM »
You are right on that front brake action Conrad. I know that caused the first tip over. I push the grip to turn, feel a little wobble and instinct is to try to bring the bike to a stop to stabilize it, while leaned over. Wrong. I need to keep my head up looking through the turn to where I want to go, keep  the lean and throttle steady and keep moving through the turn. But I haven't practiced that enough I guess. I'm going to wear the scratches as a badge of honor for now though. A good reminder of what I need to work on!
2012 Concours

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 06:33:32 AM »
You are right on that front brake action Conrad. I know that caused the first tip over. I push the grip to turn, feel a little wobble and instinct is to try to bring the bike to a stop to stabilize it, while leaned over. Wrong. I need to keep my head up looking through the turn to where I want to go, keep  the lean and throttle steady and keep moving through the turn. But I haven't practiced that enough I guess. I'm going to wear the scratches as a badge of honor for now though. A good reminder of what I need to work on!

That's the spirit!

Offline SoberFX

• 2008 Concours 14 It's All Good!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 03:27:34 PM »
I did the same thing as SLH and you are SOOOOO correct Conrad...front brake wants to take the back tire off the ground if you're not too careful.  I did manage to get mine off the ground by myself...but my butt against the seat while squatting and lifted for all I was worth.  Just in time to not be seen by my buddies in their cars!  Won't do that again I promise!

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 08:22:23 AM »
I took an experienced rider course early June this year. That helps a lot in getting your confidence up. I am fairly confident when riding by myself. But with wife on the back, it is a whole different story. She gets so nervous and fidgity. But I have gotten so used to the bike, I can pretty much stop up right no matter what kind of turn I was taking. There have been times when I have to stop in the middle of a U-turn because wife is squirming in the back seat. And then I have to walk the bike to take the turn.

When taking U-turn, make sure you are couterbalancing and looking at your exit point (just as the videos show). I think counterbalancing is the key - you can lean the bike a whole lot in slow speed when you lean your body the oppsite direction or just scut your butt if you are comfortable doing that.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline CougFan56

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 02:00:26 PM »
A WEEK!! Man you took a long time  ;) I dropped my 2012 Arabian Red in under 4 hours.  I was just coming of a SV650...(also had a ZX14 for about 5 days before I decided to lay it down and total it)......as well.  I blame mine on the rock I stepped on at a complete stop.  Ankle twisted and before I knew it I was going down.  Not as easy to try and pick up with one arm like the SV was.  I laid mine down as easy as I could and only a couple minor scuffs....and only 8 miles on her too!  My canyon cages are ordered and on the way now!!  Have fun with the beast, I know I am so far!