Author Topic: ARGH!!!!! TPM Broke!  (Read 5552 times)

Offline feelergaugephil

ARGH!!!!! TPM Broke!
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »
Managed to get 2100 miles out of the rear Pilot Power (yes, I ride it like a 1400) so I went to Cycle Gear with the back wheel and priced up a Pilot 3, gave me a good price, so I gave dire dire instructions on NOT HOW TO DAMAGE the TPM......
Both are brand new changed under warranty,so, he's back there in the tire area for a few minutes then I hear "FU*K" about a minute later the tech comes out........ "sir, I guess we owe you a new TPM"       
Now I'm pissed, got to go thru kawasaki to order the TPM and then mount new tire then back to kawasaki to reprogram it!
NIGHTMARE!!!! at least we didn't suffer and damage in Hurricane Issac.... pheeeeeew, K, Rant over!
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline mvjr1904

Re: ARGH!!!!! TPM Broke!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 01:52:55 AM »
Purchased bike 10 March, 10 April, rear sensor said low battery, one dealer replaced both sensors but didn't have the KDS program / having computer problems. Display reads "FT ---- RT -----. 90 days later, still having computer problems.  Went to 2nd dealer, they broke rear sensor and replaced it. Drove away from dealer, approx 100 feet, rear sensor begins to display 42, but now front tire displys "FT ---".
Return to dealer, they test ride (I guess it might work for them), still no front tire reading.

Good part of story, they repaired the recall and 1 sensor now works
Bad part, I have to return, they are going to replace the front sensor

Before the sensor went bad, I believe I immediately had a pressure reading on the display when I started my bike in the garage. Tonight I drove approx 4 miles before the rear showed a reading.

Am I correct that the sensors should display a reading at start up?
Boy I love that TPMS system!
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline fsr402

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 04:15:43 AM »
No the sensor goes to sleep when the tire is not rolling to save battery life. 4 Miles seems a bit long I think mine are in the first 1-2 miles.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 04:29:24 AM »
No the sensor goes to sleep when the tire is not rolling to save battery life. 4 Miles seems a bit long I think mine are in the first 1-2 miles.

+1 Sometimes mine will display within like 100 yards or so other times it can take a couple of miles. There have been a few times that I was getting gas and after I started the bike up and was cycling through the displays while sitting still, the TPM display came on.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline texrider

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 06:55:02 AM »
The TPM sensors on my '09 are original, and can take quite a while to respond if it's cold out. If warm they respond almost immediately. I do change my own tires, so I'm not hearing someone else saying oh crap about my stuff...  8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline ugocon

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 07:05:17 AM »
The reading shows up after around 1 km. And the pressure goes up of 0.1 when the tyres are hot, after around 15 minutes running seriously... ;)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »
Both of mine went **** up around 30k. As delivered, they went bad within a couple thousand miles.

3rd set of tires got me a broken TPMS.

I plan on buying a new unit to replace the broken one and applying for the other (rear) one to be replaced under warranty (TPMS has 5 year warranty).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »

On my 2011, the pressures always display within about 1 block (within several hundred feet of travel).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 11:32:07 PM »
I gave dire dire instructions on NOT HOW TO DAMAGE the TPM......

So how do you not damage the TPMS?? This will be good for when I need new tires. Thanks
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 11:49:37 PM »
Hmm, don't let the dweebs at Cycle Gear change the tires?   ::)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 06:09:11 AM »
So how do you not damage the TPMS?? This will be good for when I need new tires. Thanks

So far, knock on wood, my tire changing people in town have been very careful, but I continually tell them there are breakable tire sensors in the wheels and so far they have been.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 06:15:20 AM »
Cycle Gear has changed many tires for me and have not broken a sensor. In fact, they always ask me if it has TPS sensors.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »
You can avoid the valve stem area when breaking the bead and remove the sensor after you lever off the first bead as per the manual instructions.

Section 10-16 and 10-17
"○Lightly break the air valve portion [A] of the bead.
CAUTION
Do not deep break the air valve portion of the bead
to prevent damage to the tire pressure measurement
sensor.
CAUTION
Be careful not to scratch the tire pressure measurement
sensor.
○Pull the opposite bead of the tire [A] upward.
Unscrew the bolt and remove the tire pressure measurement
sensor [C], spring and air valve.

○Step on the side of the tire opposite the air valve, and start
plying the tire off the rim near the air valve with tire iron.
Any scratch may damage sensor."

When levering the second bead off the rim the bead tends to catch on the sensor if you don't take  care to avoid it and it could easily break.

The first 5 or 6 tire changes I did I removed the sensor as instructed. But I eventually got good enough at tire changing that I no longer bother.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »
I've changed my own tires three times now and never removed a sensor, nor broken one.  It simply takes a little caution and a desire to give a darn about the job.  This is the reason I do my own repairs and maintenance, no one cares as much about your bike as you do.

Offline texrider

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 08:27:40 PM »
As Lather said, no need to remove the sensor if you exercise normal caution breaking the beads, and getting the last bead off the rim.
I use those nifty plastic rim protectors to keep from scratching things, and some WD40 helps persuade things on and off.  8)

I don't recommend having the left or right side of the rim facing your body, while trying to seat the beads under pressure. Facing the tread, if you must be near it. Better to not be close.
2014 Valkyrie