Author Topic: Heat-trollers and such.....  (Read 5481 times)

Offline mlf73

Heat-trollers and such.....
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »
I'm thinking that I want to go ahead and get a mounted Heat-troller setup to use with my Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket liner and gloves.  Last winter I just used the 3 temp controller that comes with the Synergy products but having that controller for the jacket dangling all of the time is a bother though.  Using the gloves by themselves is also a pain when you have to fish the leads through your jacket sleeves and hook/unhook all of the time.  The jacket has the connectors at the end of the sleeves which allows you to run jacket and gloves on a single controller but it would certainly be nicer if there was an easier way to run separate controllers for each but I'm thinking that I would need to use the stock harness for the gloves and that is the worst part of the whole setup.

I'm probably going to get the dual mounted Heat-troller and the adapter that I need to use it with my Synergy jacket liner.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a better way to go with the equipment that I already have?  I know there are lots of folks using different brands and differing opinions on what brand is best.Thanks.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Heat-trollers and such.....
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 12:19:42 PM »
No suggestions as to what brand to use.  I highly suggest the use of a heat-troller.  They work awesome as that you never lose any power.  They clip the DC square wave always leaving all the amps.
Plus the infinite settings is a huge bonus
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »
By coincidence I completed install of a dual mounted Warm and Safe Heat-troller a few days ago.  Pics show the location next to a Datel Voltmeter and the switch that controls fog and driving lights.  Each knob/light is on a separate cable and board so you can put 'em side-by-side or whatever.  The knob-to-module cables are quite long and follow the route of the Connie main harness from the instrument panel along the backbone then the left tube to behind the battery.  Just a bit of patience needed to lace the small boards with the knobs from the back to the front under the main tube.

I got the version with "coax" connectors that match Warm and Safe's liner and gloves; not sure what you'll need to fit-up to Tourmaster.  The Warm and safe liner has built-in connections to run the gloves (or pants) on a separate controller out of the left pocket.

I ran the controller connectors out directly over the lift-handle which lets me connect through the side-pocket exit in my Roadcrafter suit.  Zip-tie + velcro the module to the frame tube directly behind that location so I've got max length of pigtail out of the bike (also zip-tied the wires tight to that tube so If I forget to disconnect it'll pull apart at the jack, not at the module I hope).  Yes, I've gotta be sitting on the bike to hook-up.  That location lets me stash the connectors in the tool tray over the battery when not in use.

BTW, if you are a member of COG, register as a "Group Member" on the Warm and Safe website and you'll see prices 20% below the normal prices when you Login to the site.  At least that's what Mike Coan of Warm and Safe did when I asked about it prior to my recent purchase of liner, gloves and heat-troller.  BIG savings compared to any other source I found.

I did two late night rides (still pretty warm here) testing it all out and the controllers work great - one for gloves, one for the liner.  At night the blinking lights take a bit to get used to ignoring, but that's a small price to pay and they're not really distracting after a few minutes; probably won't notice them at all during the day.

HTH
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 01:41:40 PM »
Nice install Centex.
I bought almost all my gear here http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml
excellent prices and its Gerbing  :thumbs:
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 01:54:44 PM »
I've not done side-by-side brand comparisons myself, but Mike Coan at Warm and Safe invites exchange or buy 2 and return one for full refund to get sizes correct - I took advantage of that to get the gloves perfect.  He does not charge to ship you the second pair for exchange.  I noticed that the outlet you used is strictly no exchange, no refund and for me at least the savings wasn't worth it given how much the fit is important to me.

From looking at lots of forum threads about heated gear, there seems to be plenty of fans and happy customers with both brands.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/

Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 02:02:34 PM »
I've not done side-by-side brand comparisons myself, but Mike Coan at Warm and Safe invites exchange or buy 2 and return one for full refund to get sizes correct - I took advantage of that to get the gloves perfect.  He does not charge to ship you the second pair for exchange.  I noticed that the outlet you used is strictly no exchange, no refund and for me at least the savings wasn't worth it given how much the fit is important to me.

From looking at lots of forum threads about heated gear, there seems to be plenty of fans and happy customers with both brands.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/
You have a valid point about the sizing.  Fortunately I knew enough people with Gerbing gear; the sizing was pretty easy to figure out
2002 Conc

Offline mlf73

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »
Thank for the info Alan.  I went ahead and ordered the dual-mounted unit and adapter I needed from the warmnsafe website.  I did get it for a little less than what I was seeing elsewhere with the discount even though they charged for shipping.  That's a nice looking install you did.  I'm planning to mount mine in the same place on the dash since I've got a power outlet mounted there already.  Thanks again.

Marlan
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline Crashcup

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 08:08:14 PM »
Very timely.  :D

I've also got the Tourmaster Synergy jacket liner, and heated gloves, and want to get a dual heat-troller (although I'm thinking the portable version; not sure I want to permanently mount the controls).

Not certain what connections I need to make, though, I'm hoping someone can clue me in. I've attached a rough diagram showing the connections I think I need to make -hopefully the attachment will work.

Is that correct that I need some kind of splitter cable to go from one of the heat-troller outputs to the gloves? (and of course run it through the sleeves of the jacket to get it to the gloves). What type of connectors on the end? Is this something I can get from Tourmaster? WarmNSafe?

My biggest questions is where do I plug in the other heat-troller output to the jacket? I'm assuming the output cable from the dual heat-troller is long enough to reach the jacket connection.

Thanks... our indian summer up here in MN can't last forever.
2005 Concours - "Vanessa"
1999 VFR800 - "Stella"

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »

BTW, if you are a member of COG, register as a "Group Member" on the Warm and Safe website and you'll see prices 20% below the normal prices when you Login to the site. 

HTH

How did you do that? and what info did you fill in ?

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline mlf73

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »
How did you do that? and what info did you fill in ?

Cheers
Ron

Ron,
When I registered prior to buying my stuff there was a field in there that you could select that said something about Group/Club memberships I think but it never asked for any club name or membership number but the site still gave me prices on everything that appeared to be about 20% lower than what they were prior to me registering.  Give it a shot and see what you see.

Marlan

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »
Ron,
When I registered prior to buying my stuff there was a field in there that you could select that said something about Group/Club memberships I think but it never asked for any club name or membership number but the site still gave me prices on everything that appeared to be about 20% lower than what they were prior to me registering.  Give it a shot and see what you see.

Marlan

Thanks Marlan, I will. 

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....